This one is for me....

You do nice work Brian. How do you find working with fypon crown moulding as opposed to wood? I’ve never used it, but I’ve got some long runs in the new house, and wood products get crappier every year.

I've actually never used it. This is all MDF.

I'd really like to try the foam mouldings mainly because of the expansion/contraction issues wood presents but its pretty cost prohibitive and no one near me stocks them.

For large scale mouldings (say 8"+) I use EPS coated with mesh and polyprep them follow up with either stucco or a setting type joint compound...so I guess I'm basically building my own Fypon moulding. I really think foam is the way to go though. It's insane to see what they are making out of it now.

There are only two Foam Shape companies within an hour of me. Both run 24/7 - 365 and can't keep up with the demand.

I have a coffered ceiling planned that I'd like to do 100% out of foam when the time comes

I use a grinder to cope so there's no chipping.

The MDF glue is a must and it works incredibly well - https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-2P-10-Super-Adhesive-Activator/dp/B0006IUWCC

It sets in a few seconds and makes the joint nearly unbreakable. I glue everything except the inside corners.

The picture I posted of the base going up the stairs was completely glued into one piece and then I slid it into position. A little Kilz spray can primer and you wont see a single cut.

Reactions: BigEinAZ
I got a call from the city that my plans were ready to get picked up but there were corrections. The whole way there I was worrying about what issues they found and how much work its going to be to fix it or if it is even possible to fix it.

The good news is that planning approved the plans without issue and the only Corrections needed are some generic notes added to the plans. Pretty ridiculous but what are you going to do???

I got a late start today but I got one of the beams carved up. I think it turned out alright. Only 4 more?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How many adult words were said on the way to pick up those plans?? Guess they have to prove their worth so can't let any plans out without some kind of "fix" not matter how small or stupid :roll:

That beam!!!!!! WOW! That looks like real wood! You did good! Do you have a "plan" on the grain and knots ahead of time of just let is happen as you work?

Kim:kim:

How many adult words were said on the way to pick up those plans?? Guess they have to prove their worth so can't let any plans out without some kind of "fix" not matter how small or stupid :roll:

That beam!!!!!! WOW! That looks like real wood! You did good! Do you have a "plan" on the grain and knots ahead of time of just let is happen as you work?

There is no plan...I just roll with it

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
So I made the corrections on the plans which took all of 12 minutes. I'll have to mail them to the engineer so he can stamp them and return before they can be resubmitted. Then the city gets three weeks to review them?.

I made a bunch of progress on the beams?

Reactions: kimmielea
12 whole mins?? That must have included a drink to help you along the way! sigh.............here is hoping your guy will stamp it fast and they will approve it even faster!

I so want to be there to see those beams up close and touch them. They look like real wood. Do they feel like it as well?

Reactions: kimmielea

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.