SusanW

Sep 25, 2021
Gainesville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, Today after some rain Monday and Tuesday and using the TF-100 kit, I got the results below. I am leaving on Friday and rain is expected for the weekend. According to pool math I am ok. Friday I am thinking of adding 1 gallon liquid chlorine and 1/2 gallon of acid. Just getting over mustard algae and pool recovering from my former pool technician’s version of SLAM. Did test total alkalinity but that is a bit over ideal as he dealt with CH last week and had me add some baking powder on the weekend. Does that make sense? Your thoughts?
Temp- 79
Gallons-20,000 in Gunite
Kit- TF-100
FC-6.5
CC-0.5
Ph-7.8
CYA-60
TA-170
Thank you,
Susan

You do not state what % of chlorine you are using. at 10%, a gallon will add 5ppm of FC. Is that what you think you lose if you are away for 2-3 days (over the weekend)?. I be more concerned as to why you want to dump a 1/2 gal of MA. That could tank your pH below 7 as it will decrease pH by 0.8. It is best to drop pH (and TA) in stages rather than in one large dose.

Your CYA is at 60 which is good. But if you only will be out a couple of days - you could add 2 pucks as that will maintain FC (along with some addition of LC) but also since pucks contain some acidity they will hold your pH.

As a reference, when I go away for 3-4 days - I add some LC to cover my daily loss of FC but do not exceed SLAM level for my CYA (I normally only add enough LC for 6-8ppm increase) and then add 2-3 pucks.

others may have additional input.
Also - you did not provide your CH level from your test with the TF-100 kit.

Do you have a feel for how many ppm of FC you are losing each day?
How often are you adding chlorine and how much?

If you are losing 2-3 ppm per day then you need to add say 9 ppm for the three days you will be gone and maybe a little more to give you some extra margin.
Using that calculator, it says 1 gallon of ten percent chlorine will raise your FC by 5 ppm.
Enter your pool volume at the top.
1633547451756.png

Then at the bottom you can see the affect of adding chlorine.
1633547565140.png

Due to the sun and then afternoon rain, I have gone from FC-10 on Monday to FC-6.5 today. PH went from 7.5 to 7.8. I will be away during a time of predicted increased rain (that trend started today). My pool water is crystal clear and I want it to stay that way. The calculator says to add 96 ounces of 10.5% chlorine to get back to FC of 8 and 17 ounces of 34.5 % muriatic acid (was way off on my calculation) to get to PH of 7.6. If I retest on Friday before I leave and add what the calculator says to, when I come back on on day night will all be well with the pool despite the rain? Just got home and it is pouring with lightening. Do not want to test CH right now. Thank you for the link to calculator! Also what do you use for measuring these chemicals out?
thank you,
Susan

I have gone from FC-10 on Monday to FC-6.5 today.
So you lost about 1-1/2 ppm each day. Before you leave add an extra 5 ppm for the three days you will be gone and maybe 2 more for peace of mind - so an extra 7 ppm. Going over the FC target is OK as long as you don't go crazy.

Reactions: SusanW
Preferably a glass jar with at least one quart increments marked. Or just ONE quart jar. Or a plastic pitcher marked.....but don't trust it...it's gonna get brittle and crack.
"glass jar" - @woodyp - really?

No glass near the pool - well not unless you want to fully drain the pool to get all the glass shards out when you break the glass......

There are many sturdy yet pliable plastic containers/pitchers that will work. I presently have a 2 cup one, marked in 2 ounce increments. I always measure pool side - over the water - rinse in the pool and store the pitcher in the garage. Storing plastic out of the sun is key to longevity.

So you lost about 1-1/2 ppm each day. Before you leave add an extra 5 ppm for the three days you will be gone and maybe 2 more for peace of mind - so an extra 7 ppm. Going over the FC target is OK as long as you don't go crazy.
So take my chlorine from 6.5 to 13.5 is increasing by 7 ppm correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Refer to the FC/CYA Levels to see the minimum and target levels for your CYA.
Never let FC fall below minimum.
Take your daily loss of 1.5 and round up to 2.0
2.0 times number of days you will be gone plus a few extra (just in case).

CYA 60 target is 7-9
7 + (2.0 x days) + 5 = dose to get here
7 + (2.0 x 3 days) + 5 = 18

SLAM level for CYA 60 is 24

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.