Mopar4u

May 24, 2021
Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Rolling into the 2nd year of our intex 18’ round 4’ deep pool. Pool is still a big ice cube but trying to plan ahead. In wisconsin so our season tends to be shorter than most. Warmer the water, the more likely ill go in. Wife is a little more tolerable of cooler water. No kids. Our yard and pool gets 100% east, west and south sun, no trees or obstructions. Im interested in trying solar heat.

I have this intex pump

Was thinking of trying two or three of these:
Kokido Keops Solar Dome Above Ground Swimming Pool Water Heater | K835CBX/RV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RFDSL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_S43SJ0ZEX61VK3MDWBCS

Anyone tried the domes before? Thoughts on doing this?

Hey Mopar !!! This type question comes up alot, and with the cost of heaters and the energy used, I don't blame anyone ONE bit.

But if you could heat your pool for $104, do ya think there would be a multi million dollar heater industry ?

The rule of thumb is you need 50% of your Sq ft in solar panels in hot climates and 100% in cool ones to achieve great results. But that doesn't mean you won't get any results with several of the ones like you posted. 7k gallons will be easier to make a small dent in, than, say 25k.

Do you have a solar cover for the pool? You really need one to keep any heat this will give you.

Reactions: Newdude
The solar cover alone will stop 5(?) degrees of evaporated heat loss tonight, which looks like a 'gain' tomorrow. (y) For any of the iffy weeks its amazing and takes the edge off. If it's a cool week, the fact that your pool is 66 when it should have been 61 is a moot point.

Hi Mopar, I’m in Wisconsin and last year I installed a FAFCO Solar Bear 4x20ft panel, mounted on an angled wooden rack that I built. It’s undersized for my pool, but still managed to boost temps a good 5 degrees from what I was used to before. 85 degrees vs 80 degrees makes a pretty big difference. More surface areas of panel, obviously greater potential heat gain.

Some things to keep in mind - you want to install a good diverter valve to be able to bypass the solar panels. When the sun isn’t shining and the air temp is cooler than the water, the panels turn into a big heat sink and can actually start cooling the pool. Unless you want to buy a $500 solar automation system, you have to be a bit vigilant about turning the panels ‘on and off’ based on weather conditions.

The solar cover is a must - night time heat loss without it is going to do far more than what the panels will gain you during the day.

Overall I’m very happy with the panels, and if I had room for more I’d increase the area.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Hi Mopar, I’m in Wisconsin and last year I installed a FAFCO Solar Bear 4x20ft panel, mounted on an angled wooden rack that I built. It’s undersized for my pool, but still managed to boost temps a good 5 degrees from what I was used to before. 85 degrees vs 80 degrees makes a pretty big difference. More surface areas of panel, obviously greater potential heat gain.

Some things to keep in mind - you want to install a good diverter valve to be able to bypass the solar panels. When the sun isn’t shining and the air temp is cooler than the water, the panels turn into a big heat sink and can actually start cooling the pool. Unless you want to buy a $500 solar automation system, you have to be a bit vigilant about turning the panels ‘on and off’ based on weather conditions.

The solar cover is a must - night time heat loss without it is going to do far more than what the panels will gain you during the day.

Overall I’m very happy with the panels, and if I had room for more I’d increase the area.
Thanks, what size is your pool?

Thanks, what size is your pool?
24’ round, 52” deep. 13600 gallons.

I don’t have my panels out yet this year, but here’s a picture of the mount I built-
496C3D65-CC43-48C9-B341-57B2D3F30AEA.jpeg
The black valve at the bottom is the diverter valve I’m using. The cheap ball valves (blue handle) were a temporary solution when the pool valves were all back ordered.

I bought 5 used Heliocol solar panels for $500 off FB marketplace. Great deal but I had to use JB weld to seal up some leaks/holes. Works great when temps are hot and I've gotten the pool to 91⁰ this season so far! It's pretty useless when temps drop though and I've struggled keeping temps higher even with all the solar covers, liquid covers, etc. It cooled back down to the high 70's after a couple days.

I'm probably going to cave and buy a pool heater to keep temps high when the weather gets cold and use them both in conjunction with each other....just wanted to share my experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.