El Paso - TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I'm not sure if you guys get tired of these types of threads, so Ill try to keep it short lol. I moved into a West Texas (Think dry heat similar to Phoenix) pool about 3 years ago. It's a 12400 gallon pool, with a spill over spa and concrete construction. I have been doing the TFP LC method for about 2ish years and I want to believe there's an easier and cheaper way (especially with LC at $5.50/gal). Currently I have a Goldline Prologic PL-P-4-X288 and a Hayward 2 or 2.70hp single speed pump. I set it up to run 8 hours a day (8p-12a and 8a to 12p). The electric bill is pretty high as a result.

My concerns/questions are:
If I should use the existing Prologic setup and pick up a simple salt cell from Hayward (even if I don't know if the controller works I have no reason to believe it wont but see my pics) or go with a new smarter TFP fan favorite like the Intellichlor.
If I should pick up a new VSP. It sounds like I can just replace the motor and keep the pump or I can just replace the whole thing. By getting a new VSP I believe it'll save on energy costs, allow me to get by without being stuck to Hayward products and allow for better use of the SWCG. I also think that the current 2.0/2.7hp pump may be overkill and costing me more than I need to be paying for this size pool.

I'm not looking for tons of automation. The prologic board really only acts as a timer for the pump. I turn on the pool heater and move all the valves manually so I don't know how much I'll really miss it. Lastly, I leave my G3 baracuda hooked up all the time so I don't have to do much manual brushing and I'm kind of a DIYer so I plan to install most or all of this on my own.

So much for keeping it short! Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• 20230503_201404.jpg
    20230503_201404.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230503_201312.jpg
    20230503_201312.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230503_172832.jpg
    20230503_172832.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230503_182942.jpg
    20230503_182942.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 22
If you upgrade to a VSP, then you'll have it wired so that it has continuous power. The onboard panel can be used for turning off/on and adjusting speeds based on your preferred schedule. There's no such thing as an overkill hp VSP pump as you set the speed to fit your unique pool. They're able to circulate more water at the same RPMs as a lower hp pump.

Recommend that you fill out your signature with your pool equipment.

If you upgrade to a VSP, then you'll have it wired so that it has continuous power. The onboard panel can be used for turning off/on and adjusting speeds based on your preferred schedule. There's no such thing as an overkill hp VSP pump as you set the speed to fit your unique pool. They're able to circulate more water at the same RPMs as a lower hp pump.

Recommend that you fill out your signature with your pool equipment.
I went ahead and added my signature. I understand that many say that the VSP cannot be too big. I guess what I was saying is that I believe my current single speed pump is too big. So would your recommendation be to try to go ahead and reuse as much of my existing equipment as I can or use this as an opportunity to step into a better/different brand with individual controllers on the components?

I believe my current single speed pump is too big.
If it works, it works 🤷‍♂️.

So would your recommendation be to try to go ahead and reuse as much of my existing equipment as I can or use this as an opportunity to step into a better/different brand with individual controllers on the components?
That is entirely up to you and what your ultimate goals are.

If your goal is to reduce your upfront cost as much as possible, then you could simply purchase a SWG of your choice and have it up and running with your current single speed schedule.

If you want to reduce your long term running cost (which sounds like it), then the possibilities are endless! In your case, upgrading to a VSP will give you the most long term cost savings. :D

Since automation is not important to you, then you don't necessarily have to stick to one brand or seek compatibility. You have even more flexibility to choose your desired equipment. This is the route I personally chose. I purchased a budget friendly VSP and invested in the Circupool RJ series which is also highly recommended here.

Reactions: Newdude
If it works, it works 🤷‍♂️.

That is entirely up to you and what your ultimate goals are.

If your goal is to reduce your upfront cost as much as possible, then you could simply purchase a SWG of your choice and have it up and running with your current single speed schedule.

If you want to reduce your long term running cost (which sounds like it), then the possibilities are endless! In your case, upgrading to a VSP will give you the most long term cost savings. :D

Since automation is not important to you, then you don't necessarily have to stick to one brand or seek compatibility. You have even more flexibility to choose your desired equipment. This is the route I personally chose. I purchased a budget friendly VSP and invested in the Circupool RJ series which is also highly recommended here.
I appreciate the advice. I think I'll start off with just a t-cell-15 on my existing Hayward setup and my single speed pump. Maybe next season I'll tackle a new pump. The circupool setups look nice but are pricey.

Reactions: jamesey
Reactions: Golfer2000
I think I'm sold on the Hayward cell, even if Im not a fan of the company. Does anyone know what kind of pipe I have? I thought it was just spray painted white pvc but I scraped it and it came off dark grey.

Does anyone know what kind of pipe I have? I thought it was just spray painted white pvc but I scraped it and it came off dark grey.
Could be a thick layer of spray paint or even Schedule 80 pvc. Go to one of your elbows. There should be clear markings on what type it is

Got most of it buttoned up and my levels are pretty good. FC is coming back down after dumping in a gallon of lc.

Salt: 3200
CL:7.5-8
Cc: 0
Ch: 300ppm
Ta: 70
Ph: 7.8
My cya is a bit difficult to determine. I think it's around 60. I hate those cya testers.

Attachments

• 20230515_200158.jpg
    20230515_200158.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: jamesey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great! :love:

Will take a few days to dial in your SWG to keep your FC within ideal range, but no biggie. Congrats!

Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

Reactions: Golfer2000
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.