Thinking of renovating my long empty pool in Phoenix, AZ

James H

Mar 25, 2021
PHX
Hi, I’m James, and have lived in my house in Phoenix for almost 30 years. For the first 15 years, we used the in-ground pool fairly regularly. Later on, after separating, I traveled frequently, and the pool didn’t get much use, and would get green at times.

After being visited by the city inspector, I decided to just drain the pool so there wouldn’t be mosquitos or other hazards.

Now, these many years later, I’m thinking of trying to get the pool back in service. I’m disabled with limited mobility. Swimming is about the only activity I can do these days.

The kool deck seems to be in ok shape. I used a barracuda type cleaner, and had a sand filter.

I’m trying to see if getting the pool resurfaced, as well as a railing for the steps will be within my budget. My pool is a diving pool, rather a kidney shape. I believe it was plaster. Obviously the plaster has bubbled, and some of the accent tile at the edge of the previous waterline has fallen.

Hiya James. You can absolutely get that pool back up and running. Here in AZ when the housing crisis hit, many pools were drained and shut down. The previous owners of my house did not run the pool for several years (they did not drain) and it’s back in service no problem.
You’re obviously going to need to have the pool replastered and some tile work done, but it’s all doable. :cheers:

Reactions: DanF