Thinking of OB(owner build) in Houston, TX

Apr 4, 2015
houston,tx
Hi everyone..been doing lots of reading on the forum and thinking to go the OB route.

I am at the very initial stages and wondering how to find pool designers? I called pooleng.com to figure out the engineering part and they were nice enough to send me a list but its folks in CA...i guess that could work?

Heres how i believe this should work at a high level:

Design pool
Figure out equipment
Get engineer to create plan
Get permits and HOA approvals
Excavation- who marks the yard with the layout?
Lay rebar
Plumbing/electrical
Gunite
Plaster
Tile and deck work

As far as design - we dont have much in requirements...thinking
freeform
Beach entry
Spa
Retaining wall/raised wall due to slope in backyard...dont care much for water features or lights but could add in some on wall if not difficult/pricey

Let me know if there are other threads I should read

Thanks in advance !!

Right now you will have issues with getting contractors to work on a OB pool in Houston. Everyone is backed up with Covid and most contractors will be loyal to the bigger companies that keep them busy all year.

Reactions: Yev
Right now you will have issues with getting contractors to work on a OB pool in Houston. Everyone is backed up with Covid and most contractors will be loyal to the bigger companies that keep them busy all year.

This is always the issue with OB pool. Good contractors have plenty or work with their full time PBs. Time spent on your job hurts their availability with PBs, and thus is a no-no for them

That is almost an identical design to ours except the ledge and Spa are swapped. We wanted the beach entry too, but decided to scrap the idea when it was pointed out how steep of an angle we would have on the ledge if we kept the same dimensions. We are planning to have the ledge loungers and with a beach entry they would only be in a few inches of water unless we made the area alot larger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.