Tampa, FL (Specifically Apollo Beach)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have signed the contract and are waiting to start the pool build. The only thing I left out was the heater. We were unsure if we wanted it so we are having it prepped for one. Electric will be done and ready to add the heater if we decide on it. I'm still not sure if we will want it but I am thinking we will probably need a chiller. I was thinking of getting the Pentair UltraTemp 140 H/C. Any experience with this? We are in the Tampa area. The pool will be screened in so I'm sure that will block some sun.

Screen and water depth play a big part in your temperature. Also, how much direct sun is a concern (but remember, the screen cuts out some sun). I am in South Florida and have about 26000 gallon pool, that gets blasted with sunlight from 10am to 7pm. Without the chiller the pool is hitting 90 as early as late May. The chiller is nice - but can by pricey to run. To me.....its worth it!!! I have the Pentair you are referring to. Your finish color will add to temperature increase also.....deeper blues/blacks = warmer

I have a huge heat pump / chiller unit on my 25K gallon pool. It’s pretty dang expensive to run it (6 KW / hour), whether for heating or cooling. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do a gas heater and separate traditional chiller (that chills by dripping water through the unit). My heat pump works better as a heater than chiller from what I can tell.

Reactions: FlowBlu and JayRi
I have a huge heat pump / chiller unit on my 25K gallon pool. It’s pretty dang expensive to run it (6 KW / hour), whether for heating or cooling. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do a gas heater and separate traditional chiller (that chills by dripping water through the unit). My heat pump works better as a heater than chiller from what I can tell.
Thanks, I'm stuck with a heat pump. No option for gas. My pool is going to be 21,000 gallons with a surface area of 600 sq.ft. definitely can't afford 2 separate units right now. If it means anything I won't have a spa so it's only the pool water.

I just remembered another reason I skipped the gas heater: my equipment pad is directly below a window that opens to my garage. A gas heater wouldn’t be allowed there under my building codes, unless I converted the window to a non-opening one.

We have a gas heater and added a Glacier chiller about 5 years ago. We’re in the Dallas area and our pool has full sun exposure until late afternoon. It wasn’t unusual for water temp to reach low to mid 90s in the heat of the day, so the chiller has been the best addition to the pool that we’ve made. I tried the PVC misters, but they’re ugly and the mist would blow salt water onto the stone coping, causing erosion. It was also killing plants around the pool and only dropped temp around 5 degrees. It’s July in Texas with temps near 100 and my pool temp has just hit 80. I love the Glacier! It’s very economical to run, as the only real electricity usage is to power the fan. Having said that, I run the pump 17 hours per day, as the chiller works best when temps are lowest (night), so that adds to the electricity consumption. But we enjoy the pool SO much more!

Last edited:
Reactions: FlowBlu
We have a gas heater and added a Glacier chiller about 5 years ago. We’re in the Dallas area and our pool has full sun exposure until late afternoon. It wasn’t unusual for water temp to reach low to mid 90s in the heat of the day, so the chiller has been the best addition to the pool that we’ve made. I tried the PVC misters, but they’re ugly and the mist would blow salt water onto the stone coping, causing erosion. It was also killing plants around the pool and only dropped temp around 5 degrees. It’s July in Texas with temps near 100 and my pool temp has just hit 80. I love the Glacier! It’s very economical to run, as the only real electricity usage is to power the fan. Having said that, I run the pump 17 hours per day, as the chiller works best when temps are lowest (night), so that adds to the electricity consumption. But we enjoy the pool SO much more!

I'm interested in the Glacier but they don't seem to have any installers in the NJ area. In doing your research, did you find any competitors that seemed worth while?

Not at the time. From what I remember, my only options were Glacier or a heat pump with cooling option. And I tried the misters that you’ll see mentioned a lot on this forum. They really didn’t work for us.

If Leslies is in your area, they sell/install Glacier, at least in the DFW area. I went another route, but it’s a pretty simple installation, so any experienced pool service should be able to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was looking into the Glacier, but I think I am going to need a heater as well. I don't have Gas in my area, and I don't think I can afford a heater and a separate chiller. That's why I was considering the combo unit.

I was looking into the Glacier, but I think I am going to need a heater as well. I don't have Gas in my area, and I don't think I can afford a heater and a separate chiller. That's why I was considering the combo unit.
I would do the same in your situation and I almost went that route myself as I was concerned that the Glacier wouldn’t work well with our humidity. Best of luck with your build!

Reactions: JayRi
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.