Thinking of changing to a cartridge filter.

The rule with filters, go big! Get the largest you can fit in your space and that you can afford.

For your pool, the very minimum would be a 300+ sq ft model. Better is a 400+ sq ft model.

Reactions: setsailsoon
My pool is just under 18K and I have a Hayward C-1200 (single cart). While it works fine with TFP-clear water, I do have to rinse it off every 3 weeks or so. So as Marty said, it you would rather only clean 1-2 times per year, a 4-cart filter might be more to your liking - space provided of course. Happy shopping.

Marty & Pat have given good answers, but now I'll ask - Why??

A properly sized sand filter is probably the easiest filter to have. The only real reason I can see to replace one is if the pressure vessel has been compromised and is cracked/leaking.

The only time we see sand filter problems is when people muck them up with "alternative" filter media or have used flocs and clarifiers that mucked up the sand.

I opened mine once a year just to take a look and always found a pristine white sand beach, like in the Bahamas.....

Let us know what your issue is with it and maybe we can save you the money of a new filter.

I love my cartridge filter and agree with Marty and Pat's recommendations. When it finally needs to be replaced I'll go with another one. But if I had a good sand filter I'd wait 'till it craps out then replace with properly sized cartridge unless water consumption is a big deal where you live.

Chris

I agree with a couple of the comments above. One being why do you think you want to replace your Sand Filter?
I have a Sand Filter - it's requires minimal maintenance - it does a very good job - if you think you are going to get better looking water, my guess is that you are not. I tried Zeo last time and have been very happy with it. And by last time, I mean a long time ago. I honestly don't remember how many years it's been. I was also happy with regular pool sand.
If you like taking stuff apart (or paying someone else to) and standing out in the driveway cleaning, brushing & spraying, then by all means go ahead.

So....... I’ll agree with all points above from both sides. There are millions of happy people and we are back to the age old Chevy/Ford debate.

However, I would like to add a possible new angle. If one was to need a SLAM, there is no comparison. Square feet are Square feet and the much smaller sand/DE will clog that much sooner needing maintenance. The same amount of algae needs to be killed and filtered either way.

If one was to need a SLAM, there is no comparison. Square feet are Square feet and the much smaller sand/DE will clog that much sooner needing maintenance. The same amount of algae needs to be killed and filtered either way.
While I can agree, Sq Ft is Sq Ft, it takes all of 3 minutes to backwash, clear and have a sand filter filtering again. Even the small filter on my hot tub takes longer to clean, I can't imagine how long it takes for those huge 4 filter jobs......

I am in the sand filter camp... backwashing is much less work than cleaning filters. That's why when we purchased our pool two years ago and they told us we'd be getting a cartridge filter, we asked for a sand filter instead. The pool at our previous house had one and we loved it so I thought, why would I want to mess with cleaning cartridges? When I want to speed up cleaning fine pollen particles etc, I use a skimmer sock like these:

I can't imagine how long it takes for those huge 4 filter jobs......
Mine was 20 minutes mid week, and another 20 min at the end. The key is I didn’t loose any battle time if they were full while I was sleeping or at work. That part was priceless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't cleaned my filter cartridge in over a year as pressure increase has been minimal (less than 1.0 psi) and filtering is working great. I would note that the filter is quite large for my small'ish pool and I use hairnets in the skimmer.

i have had a cartridge filter (AquaPro 190 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump) for the last couple of years with my 33' AGP and am thinking about changing over to a sand filter. I am sure i haven't had a great experience considering the brand i have is cheaper and likely lower quality, but i dream of just turning the valve to backwash instead of cleaning the filter.

I’m a newbie to the forum but after reading this thread I could not resist having to comment. I have zero experience with large pools. My largest pool was 2000 gallons and I switched from the tiny Intex A cartridge to a small bestway sand filter/pump combo. The difference was incredible. The water was crystal clear all season long and I had to backwash 3 times in 3 months. I am incredibly pleased with this mini setup. I just purchased a 33 x 18 agp that I will install in the next few weeks and am sucking in as much info as possible. I’m definitely going with a large cartridge filter and a VS pump. Just having a hard time finding the minimum requirements for a filter size. I understand bigger is best but I’ve been searching for days trying to find the minimum recommend size cartridge filter for a 15,500 gallon pool. My thoughts are, why should I pay $1000 for a 4 cartridge 425 sq ft filter when overkill may be a 200 sq ft single cartridge filter. Could someone help me find that info?

Thanks
John

i have had a cartridge filter (AquaPro 190 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump) for the last couple of years with my 33' AGP and am thinking about changing over to a sand filter. I am sure i haven't had a great experience considering the brand i have is cheaper and likely lower quality, but i dream of just turning the valve to backwash instead of cleaning the filter.
Am I reading you have been unhappy wit the Aquapro Cartridge System? I just ordered it as this was suggested by the pool company I purchased the pool from too.

Am I reading you have been unhappy wit the Aquapro Cartridge System? I just ordered it as this was suggested by the pool company I purchased the pool from too.
If you search and read up on the conversations about sand and cartridge you'll find people happy with both. For cartridge filters bigger is always better. Way less cleaning. Undersized cartridge filters sound like a real pain. I know nothing about the brand you just ordered but I'd check anything out here with a question before I buy unless I know a lot with my personal experience.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.