Thinking of AGP -

Hello

Thinking of building an above ground pool, not too big, in the 8x15 range. Just something to cool off in. We live in a mild climate so this would only get regular use for 3 months, and only for the next 10 years or so til the kids are older. The cost of in ground was way too much for the usage (quoted $150k. They don’t build a lot of in ground pools here so all the materials are shipped from far away and it is not economical).

Anyway,

Where can I learn about different brands of AGPs? I know a friend who has been happy with his Walmart round for several years but my gut says this is not something to build a landscape plan including deck around. I also need some info on heating systems for AGPs. This would be gas run, and we’d only heat to warm this up in the late spring (May) and prolong the season a little in September or early October. Not looking to do anything too crazy like swim in March or November.

Also, some AGPs advertise they are better suited for salt or fresh water. Does above ground have any impact on whether it should be salt or fresh? How do I decide?

This is the centerpiece of some additional landscaping and hardscaping and fencing, and all in my cost needs to be controlled.

Thanks for any suggestions, pointers you can offer.

An AGP rated for salt allegedly has more layers of rust inhibitor under the paint. Many things cause a steel walled pool to rust. You may find the saltwater rated pools have resin walls and/or or resin top rails, since resin doesn't rust. Will you be installing the pool yourself or will you buy locally and have it installed?

When I began thinking of an AGP (not the one I currently have, but for one of the permanent ones with a deck), I just googled. Seems a few people on here buy online from The Pool Factory. You can search the forums too and see what people have.

The saltwater pools I've looked at have resin top rails so they don't rust. Using a saltwater generator or not is just a personal choice. Either way works. I've been using one with my small intex pool and will not be without one. I like the ease of maintaining my FC with the SWG.

Can't offer any advice on heaters. Good luck with your search. This site has a lot of good information.

You said you might not want an Intex type pool, but don't toss the idea completely. They probably won't last 10 years, but with care 5 is easily doable. (and the cost so reasonable one could almost have a new one every year for the price of some other AG pools) It also allows you to see if it really is something you want to have around and will really use. Removal is easy if you don't like, upgrading is easy and they are fully functional pools.

The pool factory doesn’t even seem that expensive. I’ll have to shop a couple local options as well.

When you say “intex” it seems like Target, WalMart, etc sell those but also sells the metal frame pools.

What kind of care do they need? We do get below freezing usually a couple times every winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.