Thinking about trichlor for the first time

We have a 5,300 gal above ground pool that I have historically maintained with liquid chlorine bleach. I'm finding that it has become much harder to find at the moment (probably because of COVID-19). Because of this, I'm thinking about giving trichlor a try. It's much easier to find and can also be delivered by Amazon if it comes to that.

I refreshed my reading on this and it seems like the big issue is that my CYA will creep up over time, which means that I may have to do a mid-season water change (or switch to liquid chlorine if it becomes more available).

Is this the only thing I need to worry about or are their other things I should be aware of?

Also, any advice on 1" vs 3" tablets? Or on floating dispensers vs. putting them in skimmer basket?

Thanks!

When it comes to trichlor, we really are not against it's use. We are against it's uncontrolled use.

As your CYA level goes up you need to increase your chlorine level in the pool. That means more trichlor and quicker CYA rise. Keep on top of the CYA and keep the FC in proper ration and it will work fine.

Trichlor is very acidic, so two things to keep in mind -

- Don't dispense it in a skimmer as it can damage the plastic parts

- Pay attention to your pH as trichlor can keep it artificially low.

Use 3" tablets. 1" are meant for spas and they erode too quickly in a pool

I see you have Menards in your city. They typically carry liquid chlorine. Even had a BOGO sale this past weekend. Have you tried there?

Bloomington Menards shows 836 gallon jugs of Splash chlorine at the store.

Reactions: Donldson
If you do use trichlor, keep in mind they dissolve slow which means they're not real good at increasing FC quickly. If you can, keep some liquid chlorine/bleach on hand in the event you need a quick bump of FC.

Reactions: tim5055
I see you have Menards in your city. They typically carry liquid chlorine. Even had a BOGO sale this past weekend. Have you tried there?

Bloomington Menards shows 836 gallon jugs of Splash chlorine at the store.
Just a heads-up, but Menards didn't do the BOGO this year. :( Still, $4 for 1-gallon of 12.5% isn't an awful price.

What about Austin's Pool Tech Shock? I am having trouble finding Liquid Chlorine so I was told that Ocean State Job Lot has some, when I went there they told me its the same as Liquid Chlorine.

Thanks

Last edited:
It would be best to use them in an inline feeder if you have one installed. This will give you more control over it. A floating dispenser will work too if not. You will still need liquid or powder shock for a quick bump in FC due to bather load or what not. Before I discovered TFP I would make it about 1-1.5 summers before having to do a partial drain and refill to get the CYA back down.

What about Austin's Pool Tech Shock?
This is 12.5% sodium hypochlorite...same as liquid chlorine. "Bleach and chlorine" are often sold as chlorinating liquid (at HD and Lowes), liquid shock, and pool shock. The key is to check the label for the active ingredient "sodium hypochlorite." It will come in different strengths (6%, 8%, 10%, 12.5% etc). 12.5% is generally the strongest concentration for the retail market.

Reactions: tim5055
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.