Thinking about Plaster for new-build

KurtinTUS

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2017
Tucson
Okay, somebody talk me down from the ledge!

We are really close to finalizing a design with our PB. Rectangular, 14x37x7 deep, and it will have minimal coping around the pool and then surrounded by grass. Maybe I'm just old-school, but I have yet to see any other pebble-type finish that comes close to the clean, bright-blue that I love about white plaster...especially when it is set against green grass. I know the long-term durability and economics arguments for pebble finishes are compelling, I just really don't like the seemingly too-muted hues I have seen from virtually every pebble finish pool I have ever been around.

My pool builder thinks I'm crazy for leaning towards plaster, and I'm really not looking forward to having to explain to every neighbor/friend why I went with plaster in this day & age (it's not about the $$$$!) Am I crazy for even considering plaster....or is there a more durable finish that gives just as bright of a look?

K,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all "plaster crazy" new pool builders... :drown:

I have a rent house where I installed plain white plaster and it was the worst decision I have made.. well, lately anyway... :p

The white plaster stains and marks up much worse than my other two pools which both have pebble. I take care of all three of them and they all have the same basic SWCG and chemical readings..

I was just like you when it came to the pool at my house.. I wanted that white finish to give that old time blue look. We went with the lightest plaster they had with some extra blue pebbles..

Looks like this....

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

I guess my point is that I don't believe that you will not be happy with plain white plaster in the long run.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is exactly why I started installing AquaBright. I've installed every finish there is and have had problems with all of them. Pebble seems like the solution but the surface is very rough and you are still subject to all of the same plaster issues.

Quartz and pebble finishes are just dyed plaster with aggregate mixed in and exposed.

What Brian said. Our builder told us how great pebble was, how much longer it would last than plaster, how smooth, durable, and beautiful it was, etc. etc. In all fairness, it was very nice at first. But within a few years the color started fading, light and dark streaks started appearing and the texture got rougher and rougher. Parts of the pool and spa are now downright scratchy, especially the steps.

From a distance the pool still looks nice, but if you look closely you can see that there aren't as many pebbles as there once were. It's as if you start with a million pebbles and you lose a few hundred thousand over time. I would chalk it up to just normal wear, but a neighbor's plaster pool that was built right around the same time and gets at least as much use as ours doesn't have these issues.

we did quartz. my wife didn't want the rougher texture of pebble. i was worried a bit about the quartz not having enough aggregate to give it some color, but when done it is great. smooth enough finish that he wanted and way way more color to it then i thought.

totally nothing wrong with white traditional either. don't let someone tel you it' won't last long enough either. our closest friends' parents have a Anthony Sylvan pool that is 25 plus years old now and it still is on original plaster. does it need to be redone. ya prob, but it is not cracked or loosing plaster in areas. it's just rough now, but let me tell you they got every single penny out of that finish. and it still looks fine to boot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.