Thinking about closing soon before all the leaves fall

Aug 18, 2018
Dieppe New Brunswick
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool is 60°F. The night time low temp hit 39.2°F.
Chemistry seems good. yesterdays test results:
FC 7
CC 0
pH 7.6
CYA 40
TA 110
CA 200
BOR 50
Salt 675
Phos 235

I have a Regal Ultra 60 which is a version of Polyquat 60

And here is the 14 day forecast.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 11.17.38 AM.png

At a minimum, you should probably be installing your Yard Garde mesh safety cover. I have dealt with large amounts of leaves in a pool and it's not fun removing them all.

Reactions: Rich D
Yes I agree. I need to adjust the springs and straps to tighten and that is easier when it is warmer. I suppose I can unhook a corner to dose the pool. I am running the pump at 3 different speeds; 2700 rpm - 2 hours / 1500 rpm 10 hours / 1300 rpm 12 hours. Then I can unhook the cover near the returns and lower the pool level, blow out the lines before freeze up.

Yes I agree. I need to adjust the springs and straps to tighten and that is easier when it is warmer. I suppose I can unhook a corner to dose the pool. I am running the pump at 3 different speeds; 2700 rpm - 2 hours / 1500 rpm 10 hours / 1300 rpm 12 hours. Then I can unhook the cover near the returns and lower the pool level, blow out the lines before freeze up.
Yes, exactly like that. That way the pressure if off to fully close, just get it done before a solid freeze. Run the pump just long enough to mix in the "Small" amount of chlorine you will also need. An hour a day will do it.

When I would dose with the pool off I would premix the chlorine/algecide in several 5 gallon buckets worth of water so I didn’t need to stir. Popping a corner doesn’t leave a lot of space to brush.

At 60 and dropping, I think you are fine to close now. I am close to that myself. We are done for the season may as well stop paying for electric. Unfortunately for me, my SWG died and I can't close until the warranty parts are installed. With any luck, this week!

I pulled the thermometer yesterday. My last read was 51.5°F. The pump is still running for an hour at 2700 rpm while I dose the pool. Last year I blew the lines on Oct 10th, so I know I have some time. The pool is already 5° colder than this time last year, but I will watch the nighttime lows.

Reactions: PoolGate
I wanted the cover on before the leaves fell and I got my wish. Pulled back a corner today. 52°F and CH 4.5 with 40 CYA.
I want to add polyquat 60. Do I raise CH or just add polyquat 60 ? I have not stopped the pump , lowered my pool or blown out the lines yet.
Oh the pH is .7-7.8. Last spring the snow melt and Rain brought the top foot down to pH 6 [before mixing] After mixing it was pH 7.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would add a few ppm more of liquid chlorine, let it circulate for a day, then adjust ph, and then add the PQ60, let it circulate for 12-24 hours, and then shut it down.

How To Use Polyquat 60

The following is Buckman Labs’ recommendation on how to use Polyquat 60 for closing your pool for the season.

As they recommend for proper winterization, the pool should be "shocked" with about 5-10ppm chlorine to destroy any lingering oxidant demand and remove any residual ammonia or chloramine, etc. After a couple of days, adjust the pH back to 7.2-7.6 and then add Polyquat 60 at the maximum rate as instructed per the label. This approach allows you to receive the highest benefit from both chemicals.

Note that Polyquat and linear quat algaecides are organic compounds that are known to cause interference's with certain color indicating reagents like pH indicators. Adjust the pH before adding Polyquat 60 and there is no reason to test pH after adding it.

Another point that they make regarding using this algaecide in pool water is that after the addition of Polyquat 60, it’s important to keep the circulation pump on for at least 24 hours to make sure that the algaecide is thoroughly distributed throughout the pool.

If you raise your water to SLAM FC level then you should let the FC drift down before adding Polyquat 60. Having a moderately higher level (½ SLAM level so the FC/CYA ratio of 20%) is okay as well. The idea is that the Polyquat should last through the winter even if the chlorine does not.

Buckman Labs says that even if the Polyquat is broken down, it is still effective when used as an algaecide. Moderate to high levels of chlorine break down Polyquat but it still only transforms the formula into shorter chain polymers that are still just as effective.

Thank you for this. I have read it before. 2 weeks ago I was close to FC 10. I have kept the pool at FC 7-6 for the last 2 weeks. Now I have let it drift down to FC 4.5. I will leave the pump run for the next couple of days. Maybe add another 100 ml of polyquat 60 the last day before I close. I was letting the pH a little high because I have a mesh cover. As I mentioned the rain water was pH 6 in the spring. I pumped off the top and then circulated when I opened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.