Things are moving along

If I could go back and do this whole process again I would have bought a house that already had a pool..lol

If you dont like that beautiful tile you would have HATED the 1970s puke pink colored tile on the house that had a pool already. :) seriously tho, a filled pool with a full patio just looks good. Its why you never 'questioned anything at any of your friends houses.' You just sat back and admired the overall beauty. Now you are conciously scrutinizing the nitty gritty of your own build. After the fact you'll hardly notice at any given moment. Also, lots of folks end up hating what they have down the road and others end up loving something that they didn't at first. There is no promise you will continue to like/dislike what you have. You could spend all that money to change it and still end up unhappy later.

Glass tile has plenty of drawbacks on its own as well. The primary problem with glass is that it looks great after installation but then, over time, it gets frosted and covered with white calcium scale. Believe it or not, porcelain tile is A LOT EASIER to clean down the road than glass tile is. Your water line and the area behind the waterfall is going to be subject to a lot of splash and evaporation. That is going to leave scale behind. So a pool with all glass tile can be a major headache to clean once that happens.

Like others have said, building a pool is all about trade-offs - you’ll never build the perfect pool (unless you’re @bdavis466). So enjoy what you have and realize that a pool is so much more than just a bucket of water you build in the backyard. The memories you build with it will not even take into account the choice of tile.

Plus, right now the stark difference in materials/color stands out like a pink neon sign. It might as well glow in the dark. Getting the walls finished and having the pool full of water will remove 90% of that contrast and the two will complimemt each other.

Also Tara, i know i keep telling you it will be ok, but i want you to know that you have 80k or so well earned reasons to deserve it done to your liking. This project was not cheap and it will be less expensive to modify it now than down the road.

Reactions: Taradefab0724
So what are your options so far?
* Do nothing
* Redo tile to be glass on water feature side of pool. Just one wall.
* Entire pool
* Wait a while (doesn't seem like an option)

What will you do? :)
Nearly sure we are going to redo back wall with more glass to fill in the wall...it's not the entire pool like we would really really like but it's the compromise.Doing nothing and leaving it stresses me out.

ok, I think I see what's bugging you. Yet we know porcelain tile is more forgiving once the pool is filled and down the road in time...

One option would be to pull off that porcelain tile and replace it with a more conducive tile to the glass..... if it were mine I'd put a solid black or other solid tile (pulling the color out of the glass tile to mimic) and replace the light blue around the spa area, etc.

Just an idea-

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I absolutely HATED my wifes choice for patio color. It was too brown for me and when it got wet it looked like mud. But nothing rhymes with happy husband so we got her patio colors.

I was over it in a week. I was way too busy yelling ‘Woooo, a POOL’. Literally exactly like @walkinpool just said. The water was blue, the ice cold beer was amber and life was too good to complain.

ok, I think I see what's bugging you. Yet we know porcelain tile is more forgiving once the pool is filled and down the road in time...

One option would be to pull off that porcelain tile and replace it with a more conducive tile to the glass..... if it were mine I'd put a solid black or other solid tile (pulling the color out of the glass tile to mimic) and replace the light blue around the spa area, etc.

Just an idea-

Maddie :flower:
I actually thought about doing a solid black there but my husband was like adult word no now we're just trying to chase it let's just fill the whole area in with the same glass we already know it's going to match and look fine plus there is a black granite that is going to be going over the spillway in the spa so that'll help tie it together as well.

Have you talked to the PB yet to get the cost of this fix? I hope you wallet is fat enough to do it.
It was 4k to rip down an then redo the pool with glass. Still waiting on a quote for new idea. He said it's such a small job it won't be very much but he's still pushing for us to ignore it and let the water mask it.....I hate paying $$$ and hearing the words Mask it..or camouflage it for the money we're spending I kind of wish I liked it.

Especially because you are paying extra. Getting warranty work you kind of expect a certain amount of headache, But you are paying more.

I think of all the happenings in my backyard I've been most excited for the interior finish. We choice wet Edge Mediterranean with glass( I believe it's pearl Matrix . )
Some updates about my previous issue with my glass mosaic tile I had wanted to put around the whole back of my pool but we decided against it save the money and let the water do all the talking for the pool. The amount of glass you would be able to see didn't seem worth the trouble or the money.. (we lost a family member during this process and worrying about pool glass just seems so ridiculous in the moment) I decided to skip it altogether. I'm sure I won't regret it.
I'm going to post pictures of what we've gotten done so far. Another thing we did that I like is the Tile on the lanai. We wanted to keep our screen and did not want travertine on the lanai. I'm pleased how we pulled it off..the 2 different materials works for us. I can't wait to see the color of our water20200106_074743_HDR.jpgimagejpeg_0(2).jpg20200106_074743_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Most exciting part to the build...
For me anyway..lol
They said this will take about 4 days.

Attachments

• 20200113_080018_HDR.jpg
    20200113_080018_HDR.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200113_080013_HDR.jpg
    20200113_080013_HDR.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200113_075202_HDR.jpg
    20200113_075202_HDR.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200113_075218.jpg
    20200113_075218.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200113_075220_HDR.jpg
    20200113_075220_HDR.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: carnivalday
Wow it's blue...??
I'm glad I was warned that it would be a different color up until the acid wash

Attachments

• 20200113_110651_HDR.jpg
    20200113_110651_HDR.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200113_110742_HDR.jpg
    20200113_110742_HDR.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200113_110647_HDR.jpg
    20200113_110647_HDR.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 39

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.