They left water in the skimmer when they closed my pool/just found out

It’s ok. Water will get into the skimmer after the first rain. That is why the Gizzmo is there.

Reactions: Mendy48
Ok... I added anti-freeze (1gallon). However, displaced/removed some water that was left in the skimmer first cause there was a substantial amount of water. Added a couple of noodles in skimmer along with a gizmo. So I think I’m set now for winterizing the skimmer.

6A352075-C4E2-43EE-A261-CBF115F5C688.jpeg

Reactions: JW1
I am intrigued by this. I’m in a similar situation. Fiberglass pool closed in November. Very little water was removed, just to the bottom of the skimmer. My pool was closed by my PB, a very experience pool guy. Mouth of skimmer is open with gizmo in place. Lines were blown and antifreeze added. We’ve Been getting some rain here and I do have a mesh safety cover. The cover only covers half my skimmer lid. So I went out and raised the skimmer lid and slipped it out from underneath the cover to find that water is now above the gizmo. I assume there is nothing to fret about, but wondering if I should shop vac some water and install some noodles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't the ice just expand upward the same as it does in an ice tray?

It can and it will. But a pool noodle or 3 is good extra insurance just in case. We have had a lot of rain since closing and my water is almost back to slimmer height. I will need to drain some more before the big freeze. There is a good chance there is nothing wrong/ done wrong and it’s just time to drain again.

Cracking in the skimmer and skimmer mouth is caused by melting and refreezing. A trick I learned years ago, take one noodle, cut it in half, then cut a 12” portion out of the side of each piece. Bend each piece and place it around the back of the gizmo with the legs extending out into the mouth. Easily the cheapest 99 cent way to guarantee you will never have any damaged skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.