May 15, 2007
My water is otherwise perfect.

FC = 5
CC = 0
PH = 7.8 (I like it a little high)
TA = 130
CYA = 35ish
Temp = almost warm enough to swim

This stuff showed up a few days after I opened the pool, and I haven't been able to get rid of it since. My wife thinks it feels oily, and maybe it is a bit. It does jump away from your finger if you stick your finger in the water, but there isn't a noticeable 'oily' feel to it to me. I'll try to get a close-up pic if I can, but my camera wants to focus on the bottom liner and not on the water for a direct shot. These are the best I have at the moment.

Any ideas?

pool013tl7.jpg

pool015br3.jpg

How close is the nearest tree. It looks a lot like the tree pollen I would get from the neighbor's catalpa tree. And that was the best mess it made. The big leaves and seed pods caused more problems than the pollen. Thankfully the new owner cut it down this year. :-D

If it is tree pollen it will filter out. You may have to clean the filter an extra time (I have a cartridge filter) also a skimmer sock would catch a lot of it before it gets to the filter.

I'm just not so convinced that it is pollen. I never had this problem all year last year, and if it was pollen I'd think it would be reduced at some point after running the filter 24/7, yes?

Maybe it is and I'm just being paranoid, but I'm so proud of my perfect water and it looks so imperfect with stuff floating in it! :evil:

I understand you being paranoid as we all can get that way when we think things are going south but after looking at the additional pictures I do believe it is tree pollen. That is exactly what mine would look like. The picture that shows your water being nice and clear also indicates that the "stuff" is only on the surface which is indicative of it coming into the pool from the surface location. This is much better than having "stuff" in your pool that rises to the surface and floats IMHO. I also run my pump 24/7 always on low speed unless swimming or vacuming. It usually lasted about a week for me and how much I got depended on the weather. More on windy days and also after a rain. Your skimmer sock looks like it is catching a lot of it, I didn't have one the first two years and it was more difficult than without. Patience and filtering will make it all better.

I have to agree with the opinion that it's pollen.

My pool has a lot this year, so much that is leaves a pollen ring on the liner at water level. the rest sinks to the bottom and collects in the little divots.

Isn't nature wonderful !!

Thanks for all your input. I'll stick the filter on high for some time each day for the next couple of days and see if that helps.

I was just really worried that it might be some kind of oil, but I have no idea where it would come from. Since I never had this problem last year I thought maybe something went wrong somewhere.

I had the same thing in my pool just recently and several times since. I was iniitially paranoid as well but I do believe it is windblown. A friend of mine had it show up at the exact same time as me on a particularly windy day.

The link below is to the discussion when I first noticed the flakes. Your pics are better than mine but I definitely think this is the same stuff.

http://troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=367

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Organic Contaminate

This definitely looks like an airborn contaminate and not a result of your pool balance. I would suggest a product like BioGuard Skim Mor that is coated with a product that will help remove it if it is oil based. Hope this helps.

I have it, too. Had it last year, too. Had it year before that. It was not at all noticeable once you were in the pool and stirred the water a little.

Did nothing and it went away. Would suggest the same course of action. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.