The Zodiac "Barracuda" MX8 Suction Side Cleaner

So our MX8 came by UPS yesterday and I set it up last night. My first problem was getting the cleaner line working. At first I thought it was clogged, but it turned out to just be full of air. So, I had to bleed that out by switching the Jandy valve back and forth between the skimmer and the cleaner line. After a while, I finally got all of the air out and was ready to assemble the MX8. Our cleaner line points into the pool instead of being horizontal, so I had to play around a bit to get it set up, but fortunately Zodiac includes a rubber fitting to connect the hose into a variety of differently sized cleaner line inlets. The order of assembly was a little confusing, since we also ordered a cleaner line basket. After assembling the hose and cleaner line basket, I tested the pressure, and it was too low. After adjusting the cleaner/skimmer valve, I got the suction gauge that came with the kit to read around "4." After a bit more pump cavitation due to some air in the cleaner basket, the line was ready, so I attached the MX8 to the line and let it go in the shallow end. I was amazed at how quickly this thing started to go to work on the shallow end, spinning around every once in a while to make random moves across the pool.

I'm impressed by how well this thing moves up walls. In both the shallow and deep end, this thing crawls all the way from the bottom up to the tiles and scrubs them as it surfaces. My only concern is that when it does this, it might be picking up water in the line. In fact, from the sound of the WhisperFlo pump, it does seem as though this behavior does introduce some air into the line (though not much). Will this lead to a bunch of air in the lines after a few days? Is this normal behavior? It's too early to tell how clean this will keep my pool, but so far, it appears to be quite capable. I'll report back after a few days. Thanks again for the tip on this unit, and on where to buy (most places charge $100 more for it).

What I usually do is to just throw the MX8 and suction line into the pool, and turn on my water fill line, hold the hose on there for a minute to fill the line with water (and thereby push out all or most of the air), then plug it into my skimmer. You could do this with a garden hose as well, or, if you happen to be using the pool, just jump in and "sink" the hose....or have the kids do it....

If you don't fill the hose with water in some way before you connect it to your skimmer, your pump may lose it's prime trying to suck on that hose full of air.

As to small amounts of air that the MX8 will grab when it momentarily breaches the surface when climbing walls, I have not observed any adverse effects.

Ours is running for the first time right now. We're on the middle pressure setting and are rather impressed with this thing. Only downside is that we don't have enough hose. Need about two more sections. Off to order a couple more, hoping that I don't have to get a full set. :D

cigarman said:
Hello all I am looking at the mx8, will this cleaner be ok for a vinyl liner pool 25'x40'
Thank you

The MX8 comes with 36' of hose, is your suction inlet or skimmer on one far end or somewhere in the middle?
I'm sure you could buy more hose if needed.
I believe it will work fine on your size pool, assuming you know that a suction cleaner like this is best suited for only small leaves and debris.\
My experience is good so far with it vacuuming the dirt off our vinyl liner floor.

Best of luck,
John

Was all set on getting a robotic cleaner but now am contemplating this. Cost is really appealing. On average how long are people finding it takes to clean the pool? Anyone find any negatives? Thinking this with the Poolskim might be a winning combination.

cbb77 said:
Was all set on getting a robotic cleaner but now am contemplating this. Cost is really appealing. On average how long are people finding it takes to clean the pool? Anyone find any negatives? Thinking this with the Poolskim might be a winning combination.

After using our MX8 for a week so far, here are my observations;
A) Same as CraigMW for original startup. Once you get the line purged and flow correct it works great. We just hold the hose to a return to fill the hose with water before connecting to the suction line. Ours does climb up the walls and get some air in the pump basket, but not so much as to cavitate the pump.
Zodiac says reduce suction to the MX8 in this case.
B) Yesterday, pool needed a good vacuuming due to lots of blown dirt and sand. (we're still in the construction phase).
In 2 hours it had covered the entire floor with the execption of about a 3x3' area that I manually vacuumed.

All and all, I'm very pleased especially for the price.

Best of luck,
John

After a couple of weeks running, here are my comments. Overall, this thing does a great job. We have a weekly pool guy, and before the MX8, it was always a drag when the leaves and junk would collect on the pool bottom (our skimmer needs some work!). Now, the pool has never looked cleaner. It even looks better than what the pool would look like right after the pool guy would come. I think this is because the cleaner not only vacuums but also brushes the plaster. For now, it is turned on with the main filter motor and skimmer for about 6h/day and the pool looks great. At some point soon, we will automate the system with an automatic valve to control the skimmer/cleaner uptake.

One issue for us is that the cleaner does surface rather frequently, and this does result in uptake of air into the cleaner line. Overall, this just causes the pump to make funny cavitation noises. But yesterday, I think this eventually caused the pump to lose its head. Does anyone have any idea about how to address this issue? I don't want to burn out the pump (well, maybe I do so I can get that new Pentair IntelliFlo). Are there ways to eliminate air in the lines that result from the occasional trip of the MX8 to the surface?

The only other minor issue is that the in-line basket (purchased as an accessory) has a tendency to open itself up. I've had this happen twice and the result is that I have to get a pool net and retrieve the bottom of the container and pick up the debris on the pool bottom. Not a huge deal, but Zodiac might want to make the connection between the top and bottom of the basket container a bit more secure.

Craig, if your MX8 is climbing walls "too" well and surfacing too frequently, you could reduce the suction a bit (using the settings on the MX8 skimmer connector) or, if you have a variable-speed pump, you can accomplish the same, by reducing your pump RPM a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rwhite:

Good point. I am not using the suction control as the hose is connected direct into a dedicated cleaner line. But, I can control the suction using a 3-way valve that controls the skimmer vs. cleaner flow. I will tone down the vacuum to see how it does. BTW, when adjusting the flow, at "3" this thing is still capable of climbing walls and surfacing. This is handy for cleaning off the side tiles, but I will have to turn this down. I wonder if the climbing behavior is due to rougher plaster in our pool. We had it acid cleaned after the seller of our home "forgot" to maintain their pool during escrow, and it turned into a lake of dread.

After reading initial feedback we also purchased the cuda.
30 days later we are impressed w/ the cleaning ability.
had to adjust suction to just above 3 to get him to work on the walls. think we're still a bit off.
only issue - when he surfaces the dog "min pin" things she's got someone invading her pool area and goes up and starts barking at it.

we're trying to decide now whether to just run the cuda for 6 hours cleaning then just skim for 6.

Okay, we've now had this thing for a little over a month, and I'm totally impressed with how great this cleaner is working. The pool always looks perfectly clean, and our plaster is beautifully white. Before we had this cleaner, the pool bottom was always covered with a few leaves and the plaster looked a dull white. Now, it's flawless. Geez, what's my pool guy been doing? The cleaner only requires modest maintenance (e.g. cleaning out the leaf basket, removing the random pine needle that slows up the paddle mechanism inside). It sure is fun to watch. It's surfacing behavior is actually quite nice, as it is doing a great job of keeping the side tiles clean.

This is so far my best pool investment I've made! I'm glad we got he extra leaf basket too because it does end up filling with quite a few leaves and mulberries (why did they plant that tree next to the pool!?!), so it's nice to not have to clean them out of the pump basket. I strongly recommend this cleaner. Get one soon while they still offer the $100 rebate!

[ Get one soon while they still offer the $100 rebate![/quote]

Has anyone had luck with their rebate.
Their FAQ tab says it could take 8-10 weeks, does it really take that long?
I submitted about a month ago and my # is not yet in their "Track status" database.

Still happy with the MX-8 but their rebate program is somewhat a PITA.
At least Zodiac is clear about the rules, but the rebate program is obviously handled by a 3rd party.

I just hate mail in rebates! :hammer:

Your thoughts or experiences?

Thanks, John

rv4hess said:
ThePoolNinja said:
I have a couple cleaners from "The Pool Cleaners", and they perform well. Almost identical design. But something about the MX8s makes me think they're more durable and cheaper to replace parts on/repair.

Thanks for the recommendation PoolNinja, I was sold on "The Pool Cleaner" until I read your comparison.
The MX8 is also on sale for $389 - $100 Visa rebate = $289. (no tax, and free shipping) :whoot: PoolSupplySales.com
Just ordered mine.

Thanks again,
John

Best price I've found, rv4!!! Thanks! Ordering one now.

JJ

JJSeabrook said:
rv4hess said:
ThePoolNinja said:
I have a couple cleaners from "The Pool Cleaners", and they perform well. Almost identical design. But something about the MX8s makes me think they're more durable and cheaper to replace parts on/repair.

Thanks for the recommendation PoolNinja, I was sold on "The Pool Cleaner" until I read your comparison.
The MX8 is also on sale for $389 - $100 Visa rebate = $289. (no tax, and free shipping) :whoot: PoolSupplySales.com
Just ordered mine.

Thanks again,
John

Best price I've found, rv4!!! Thanks! Ordering one now. $100 rebate good through July 31st.

JJ

rv4hess said:
I submitted about a month ago and my # is not yet in their "Track status" database.

At least Zodiac is clear about the rules, but the rebate program is obviously handled by a 3rd party.

Thanks, John
About the bite the bullet and order one for our new 25x13 concrete pool (supposed to start digging next week) while the price and rebate are still available. One question, where in the world do you get the "DEALER ZODIAC® PREMIUMTM/CLUB P® MEMBER #" for poolsupplysales.com? I've sent an email to them as well and I assume they will respond, but was curious if that had caused an issue for anyone in getting their rebate...

MarkTTU said:
rv4hess said:

Thanks, John
About the bite the bullet and order one for our new 25x13 concrete pool (supposed to start digging next week) while the price and rebate are still available. One question, where in the world do you get the "DEALER ZODIAC® PREMIUMTM/CLUB P® MEMBER #" for poolsupplysales.com? I've sent an email to them as well and I assume they will respond, but was curious if that had caused an issue for anyone in getting their rebate...

Good question as I placed my order today.

FAC 4
PH 7.6
TA 100
CYA 32
calcium Hardness 280

CYA coming up! Like to see it close to 50

JJ

Hi Mark, congrats on the new pool,
when I recieved the MX8, a rebate form from PoolSupplySales had their dealer number already filled in.

I believe the rebate program is handled by a third party and unfortunately it is not very quick or easy to be reimbursed.

The good news is this is almost my only complaint on the MX8 purchase.
The only other is that the MX8 cannot clean my spa seats, due to their shape, but I'm not sure any cleaner would.

Best of luck with your build.
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.