The Zodiac "Barracuda" MX8 Suction Side Cleaner

The MX8 weighs very little, which is probably why it can climb walls so easily. My 8 year old boy can easily pull it out of the pool, though that hasn't been a problem.

Since it does surface so easily, it can indeed pull air into the line. I have noticed that a couple of times, this has caused my WhisperFlo pump to lose prime. I will probably have to turn down the suction a bit on it so that enough water comes through that it doesn't suck enough air into the pump to cause it to lose prime. Alternatively, I may just add a little weight to the unit so it doesn't do this. That's the only niggling feature about this unit, otherwise I think it really does a great job.

That's a question that can't be answered because the pressures associated with your pool will be unique. Pipe length, number of returns, size of pipe, number of elbows, etc will all effect the flow rate and pressure for a given pump speed.

Anyone using the MX8 with a vinyl liner concerned that the two side tracks spin in place when the MX8 runs into your steps (since can't climb them) and when it surfaces at the top for < 1 minute? New to pools and just don't want to wear out liner. Should I be concerned?

Also, I am considering getting the leaf/debris catcher for my MX8. Because the MX8 has the interlocking connector hoses, how does the leaf/debris catcher connect? Where in the chain does it go?

nicholg2286 said:
My skimmer has a venturi that blows water into the pool under the skimmer (I can valve this off) in addition to an air venturi above the water line that both need to be plugged. Does the barracuda come with the equipment needed to do this?

I think we have the same thing.

If so, that is called a turbo skimmer.
The return is routed through the skimmer, under the basket, and out to the pool.

Does this sound correct?

If that is the case, it would be impossible to use the MX8 with the connections that are provided. (I assume)

Would it be possible to adapt a manual vacuum skimmer adapter plate to use with the MX8?

soundguy said:
nicholg2286 said:
My skimmer has a venturi that blows water into the pool under the skimmer (I can valve this off) in addition to an air venturi above the water line that both need to be plugged. Does the barracuda come with the equipment needed to do this?

I think we have the same thing.

If so, that is called a turbo skimmer.
The return is routed through the skimmer, under the basket, and out to the pool.

Does this sound correct?

If that is the case, it would be impossible to use the MX8 with the connections that are provided. (I assume)

Would it be possible to adapt a manual vacuum skimmer adapter plate to use with the MX8?

I use mine through the suction under the skimmer and it works GREAT! I've had it several months and this thing is amazing thus far. I personally have little to compare it to other than the Barracuda with the little squiggly things on the outside, but couldn't be happier with this product so far. JMHO on my little pool.

JJ :mrgreen:

This pic was taken before I renovated my pool.
It is a pic of the turbo skimmer.

I'm really not sure what the point of the turbo skimmer was, but it's a crazy (silly) design in my humble opinion.

The pic shows the sleeve slid to the left and below the sleeve is the actual suction line that goes to the pump.
When the sleeve is moved to the right, the return water can pass through the sleeve and into the pool.

So, It is not possible for the MX8 suction adapter to go to the proper place because the return sleeve is in the way.

IMG_1420R.jpg

That is the reasion for my question:

Can the MX8 be used with a skimmer vacuum plate adapter?

soundguy said:
That is the reasion for my question:

Can the MX8 be used with a skimmer vacuum plate adapter?

I am able to get the MX8 to work with the plate on top of the skimmer return, but there is a "but" to all of it.
If you put the manual vac plate on your skimmer then that makes it so that you can't use the flow valve because it will just suck air into the line and make you lose prime. If I connect a traditional 6 foot hose piece to the plate, then hook the flow valve and then the 36 feet of MX8 hose and the MX8 and hold the valve under water, then this will also work, but my pump must not be strong enough (1HP on a 18x36 pool) because I will eventually either lose prime or the flow valve will basically remain open and the MX8 will either crawl or not move at all. If I just hook the MX8 to the manual vac plate then it runs like a champ, but too much like a champ and spins in place when it surfaces which I am afraid will wear my liner over time. If I connected my manual vac hose to the manual vac plate and then kept adding three foot sections of MX8 hose to it and no flow valve, I could find a point where I could get the MX8 to crawl up the walls and not lose prime, but that was a delicate balance that is not the same depending on how dirty my filter was.

FYI I started the manual vac plate investigation because I was paranoid (being a pool newbie) that I would either push too much debris through my pool lines where the pump basket would catch it or I was even more paranoid that the universal connection MX8 provides would cause an issue with the tubing that connects my skimmer underneath where a repair would be very costly. I am basically at the point now where I purchased a threaded fitting that I screw into the skimmer return and then plug the MX8 into it. Because of the slip valve you show in the photo that is not possible for you however.

I will eventually just get a variable speed filter (which I should have done in the first place) and then be able to control the flow myself to get a better balance because even when I plug the MX8 directly into my skimmer return with setting of 3 full flow it causes my pump to just barely not lose prime.

Nodnarb said:
Anyone using the MX8 with a vinyl liner concerned that the two side tracks spin in place when the MX8 runs into your steps (since can't climb them) and when it surfaces at the top for < 1 minute? New to pools and just don't want to wear out liner. Should I be concerned?

Also, I am considering getting the leaf/debris catcher for my MX8. Because the MX8 has the interlocking connector hoses, how does the leaf/debris catcher connect? Where in the chain does it go?

I'm not sure about the vinyl liner issue. You might contact Zodiac to see what they say. With regard to the leaf catcher, it comes with a slip on attachment that allows it to connect up to the hoses that come with the MX8. I have one hose section from cleaner suction line connector followed by the leaf catcher, followed by the rest of the hose sections and finally, the MX8 itself. It works great this way and it is easy to remove the catcher basket without removing the top from the hose. This means cleaning out debris does not involve getting a bunch of air in the line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm looking to replace my Kreepy with a new cleaner and was pretty keen on the MX8 after seeing some videos and reading the posts on here.
Just wondering if those owners that have had them for a couple of months now are still as happy with it?

CraigMW said:
Still happy. Our pool has never looked this good! But I'm still waiting for my $100 rebate. Anyone gotten theirs yet?

I did get mine. They definitely take every bit of the 6-8 weeks they estimate.
It must have to go through Congress???

Still happy with our MX8 too.

John

With regard to the leaf catcher, it comes with a slip on attachment that allows it to connect up to the hoses that come with the MX8. I have one hose section from cleaner suction line connector followed by the leaf catcher, followed by the rest of the hose sections and finally, the MX8 itself.

would this adapter for the leaf trap if used say at the actual cleaner allow a std. hose to be used instead of the twisty hose?

3 months later with the mx8

I've had my MX8 running all summer now and think it's a good vacuum. But I am not satisfied with the "plug" they provide to go into the pipe -in the pool wall. I mean the angled piece - which has a very inadequate design. It doesn't look like something that was meant to make a tight interference fit. So I am using the piece meant to plug into the skimmer, but also need to secure the pressure limiter with a cable tie. Even though I've got the vacuum level indicating perfectly in the middle, it opens even on the tightest setting. Using a cable tie is lame, but the problem is a clear design oversight. I have not had time to contact the factory yet with this problem. So the result is I find the hose detached fro the wall about 2-3 times a week.
Anyone else had these issues?

I have been reading all the post here about the MX8 and all seem pretty positive. I was reading elsewhere about a warning to owners with pebbletec pools that this cleaner worked so well it was pulling the pebbles off the surface. :cry:

As a pebbletec pool owner, I can't imagine this happening on a properly installed pool surface...but checking just the same. Does anyone here have experience with the MX8 and pebbletec?

No experience with a pebble surface, but I can vouch for how well it works. It climbs all the way up to the tile and even occasionally gets the bottom two steps. It can clean the entire pool in about 4 hours after a dirt storm. About the only issue I've had thus far is some of the stems from the leaves of the empress tree get tangled up inside and keep it from moving. That's only been an issue 2-3 times thus far as the leaves have been falling off.

I don't think there is any way a MX-8 could hurt any properly installed surface. It has soft tires and a fairly low suction requirement. It is much easier on the pool than your feet.
I do agree that big leaves and stems can slow it down or disable it.
I just try do do most of the leaf raking manually or else they would end up in the pump basket anyway.

Overall very pleaded with the MX-8 :goodjob:
John

Thanks for the info...I am still debating the purchase but it looks more promising. I have a shed full of automatic cleaners that sounded like a good idea at the time. I guess none are perfect.....just getting tired of buying a new one every year or two.

Thanks again!

rv4hess said:
I don't think there is any way a MX-8 could hurt any properly installed surface. It has soft tires and a fairly low suction requirement. It is much easier on the pool than your feet.
I do agree that big leaves and stems can slow it down or disable it.
I just try do do most of the leaf raking manually or else they would end up in the pump basket anyway.

Overall very pleaded with the MX-8 :goodjob:
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.