Gold Supporter
Aug 1, 2019
SW British Columbia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Out of desperation, due to cloudy pool water and inability to find "heat treated" or "pool grade" DE, I used the garden variety DE. And now, of course, it seems the pool is never going to clear. Is pool grade DE the answer?
Now I see an online source for the pool grade DE, but it's in a 50 pound sack! Enough for 50 lifetimes, I suspect.
Help please! Is there another way to clear the pool? Perlite? Replace the sand in the filter?
We've already been running the pump 24/7, for most of the past 3 weeks.

Look for a fibrous additive. Some are cellulose based. Some members in areas that DE is not allowed to be dumped or are concerned with the DE dust use it.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
You should do as @mknauss stated but I would add that the sand filter needs to be cleaned out. Get what you can with the filter fiber (Jack’s Magic sells “Filter Fiber Stuff”) and then change the sand.

Also, you might try turning off the filter overnight and seeing what settles out to the bottom. Then, if you have the vacuum equipment, vacuum the bottom, VERY SLOWLY, to WASTE. You’re going use a lot of fill water but it’s all you can do at this point.

WHOA! Cellulose fiber replacement? Just when I thought TFP had given me some understanding of what I'm doing... and changing my sand? I guess it's time to call the pool shop again.
Call a friend? I don't even know someone else who has a pool!

You can try deep cleaning the sand. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
How much food grade DE did you add to your filter? Fiber Clear is a cellulose DE substitute. It works well and you don't need a ton of it.

But the issue is that the pool water is still cloudy, after filtering as usual, 24/7, for weeks. I need something that will filter out the fine particles of Garden Variety DE, or whatever it is that is still suspended. And then decide if I need to replace the sand in the filter.
I have ordered "Fiber Magic Filter Aid" from Amazon, due to arrive Aug 17.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did turn off the pump overnight. There was minimal settling. I did not vacuum to waste, but instead ordered the cellulose-based product from Amazon, as per previous advice. "Fiber Magic Filter Aid", since "Fibre Clear" does not ship to Canada.

Groan!
Despite a FC reading of 7 (2 days ago and again today, whilst coming down from the most recent SLAM) we have green algae in the pool.
This happened while the summer cover was in place for 2 rainy days, following several weeks of sunshine and heat.
As well we have the cloudiness described above, which is waiting for that fiber supplement for the sand filter.
I guess I need to SLAM again, for the 3rd time in a few weeks.
Other readings:
cc 0.5
pH 7.6
TA 60
CYA 30
Any other advice will be appreciated. Thanks. Now setting out to brush and vacuum.

Is there a connection between the unresolved cloudiness issue and the recurring algae? It seems the TFP routines were working well for us, until I screwed up by adding the wrong DE to the sand filter. SLAM x3 in the span of a month seems like it should have been unnecessary.

Is there a connection between the unresolved cloudiness issue and the recurring algae? It seems the TFP routines were working well for us, until I screwed up by adding the wrong DE to the sand filter. SLAM x3 in the span of a month seems like it should have been unnecessary.

Yes. Suspended solids scatter UV light, act locally to deplete chlorine and give biological contaminants like algae and bacteria places to attach to. It is well established in water treatment processing that turbidity reduction is the first step. You must clear the water first if you ever hope to chemically treat it without crating lots of hazardous byproducts.

You need to clear your water.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.