(The Woodlands, TX) Area Contemporary Build - Jan 2023

Based on the quotes that you are seeing, do you think our current bid is priced fairly ? I know the price to build a pool over the last 2 years have shot up like crazy, but tryna make sure we are within a decent range for what they give

Indeed, prices have gone up. I feel like things will stall out this year and leave some room to negotiate. Can't imagine with the fear of recession in the air and layoffs kicking, that many will still build pools.
My build was hovering the $150-$160, however it included an attached structure and outdoor kitchen. The pool itself was roughly $95-$110 depending on the builder. Pic of one design below for reference.

Your build definitely has what I would consider higher end water features, and those spill overs are more labor to get right. Where as my bid has a nice chunk for the structure/kitchen.
1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Bijju
Well hello there!! This is going to be a NICE pool and area when it is done! LOVE it all!!!

I would move to SWG. There is nothing wrong with leaving the tablet tube in BUT there is a LOT wrong with using it. Each table has something added to it to bind it together. Most have added CYA. Here is a chart to show you how CYA causes the need for more FC go up as it goes up FC/CYA Levels Here is link that shows you how to PROPERLY care for a pool. Most of the stuff needed to care for your pool can be found at Lowes, Wal-mart, etc!!! How neat is that!!! TFPC for Beginners
Thanks for sharing these info. Seems like a lot of new information but its something we definitely have to learn/know even if we have someone to manage our pool so we know things are done correctly :)

@Bijju Welcome to TFP. Very nice pool design. Several items that I would review

As others have stated - you need to seriously consider a SWCG. you have Jandy automation and the maximum SWCG they make is 40k gal (AP1400). So the AP1400 should be suitable for your 26k gal pool. I have this unit and it works well. It makes life so much easier, especially in the Houston area.

Speaking of automation, it shows the Jandy AquaLink which is fine but it is the PDA version. If you want full remote accessibility via your phone app or computer, you need to get the RS version. And since you have 3 pumps, I recommend you get the RS8 version. It seems the PB is not giving you flexibility on how your automation system Functions. If you wish to local control (for use by your kids), you can still have the PDA connected in addition to your full remote capability.

There are many capabilities that automation can provide and picking the right system is important now before everything is installed. For example, do you want your lights to be controlled as a single unit, they all come on at once, or do you wish to be selective in which light comes on. How it is wired to your automation system will be determined.

Similarly, your plumbing design is important now before they do the installation. Do you want your bubbler to come on while you are in Spa Mode. How they plumb that will determine if that is capable. Since you have 2 water feature pumps, ask the PB for plumbing design now and ensure that is what you want.

I know this is a lot, but many people just assume the PB is giving them the right equipment however, you have to live with it every day so it is best to understand what capability you want so it can be designed and set up properly.
Thank you. These are some good pointers. I was told by the builder that all controls can be done via phone, but will confirm to make sure. Builder also said that all water features can be controlled individually, but will confirm again as we get to next stages

Reactions: HermanTX
It looks like you are looking at putting in a stamped concrete deck. With the amount of money you are pouring into this project, have you considered a natural stone deck?
Yeah, originally we had the PB quote for sand blasted marble. Quote came in @ 213k ish, we wanted to keep it under 200k and did not want to lose the pool size or the deck space, so choose to go with Stamped concrete for decking which saved about 13k approximately.

Also, we do have a slightly sloped yard, one of the PB we got a quote from said they will only put stone pavers on top of concrete deck (due to sloped yard/shifting, etc), while other PBs were okay doing it over stabilizing sand. Not sure if its a real issue or not, so decided to go with concrete for now and add pavers later on if we want to change.

Reactions: kimkats
Yeah, originally we had the PB quote for sand blasted marble. Quote came in @ 213k ish, we wanted to keep it under 200k and did not want to lose the pool size or the deck space, so choose to go with Stamped concrete for decking which saved about 13k approximately.

Also, we do have a slightly sloped yard, one of the PB we got a quote from said they will only put stone pavers on top of concrete deck (due to sloped yard/shifting, etc), while other PBs were okay doing it over stabilizing sand. Not sure if its a real issue or not, so decided to go with concrete for now and add pavers later on if we want to change.

Pavers over a concrete deck is the ideal way if doing pavers. Yes it adds cost, but it will be solid.
Pavers over sand, not the end of the world as most repairs can be done easily.

When do they start digging?

Reactions: Bijju
Pavers over a concrete deck is the ideal way if doing pavers. Yes it adds cost, but it will be solid.
Mine (last summer) was the same cost either way. The traditional way is labor intensive when done properly and the week of prep they saved paid for the concrete.

The concrete guys don't have to spend as much time on prep (also considerable cost savings) because cracks under the pavers will never be seen. The just needed to pour a thick slab and the pavers would hide anything unsightly. A couple days later the patio guys showed up and had the stones laid in a day. (1800 sq ft). I came home to Bobcat marks all over the slab, they used it to drop all the pallets right where they were getting laid. It's that sturdy to hold the Bobcat and the stack in any given area.

Reactions: Bijju and HermanTX
First, I would like to say that I really like your pool design. I am sure you will enjoy it when you are finished. I would love to know who your PB is. I live in Conroe and we have just about finished our pool. We just have some little odds and ends that need to be completed. It’s possible that we could have had the same PB so maybe I could give you some input about them based upon my experience.

I originally had a inline chlorinator and was also discouraged by the PB because of the salt impact on my deck, furniture, pool parts and plants. Also, my daughter’s allergies were a concern for me. After much thought and debate within my self, I have put in the saltwater generator. It’s that Acupure 1400. It’s cold so I have not used it as of yet, but everyone here assures me that it’s a better way to go and I should not worry about it damaging things. It was also interesting that within the Pool Builders staff that came put the pool together, that they had diffferent views on the saltwater generator. Some thought either way was fine. I have learned that in both scenarios you will have to maintain your pool so don’t think because you have a saltwater pool you won’t have any maintenance. I have also heard and read in some places that saltwater pools are less expensive. That’s not necessarily true either. You will have to replace the generator over time and you may still need to add chemicals but they may not be as expensive.

It is hard to compare prices unless you are looking at apples and apples and not apples and oranges. Your quote looks reasonable considering the size of your pool compared to mine. Your pool is bigger but mine includes an extended patio with an island and I have a lot more decking with pavers. Yet, our prices are almost identical. I have pictures of my finished pool and patio on this site. I notice you have an outdoor bathroom with a shower. Is there a toilet as well. That would be a plus. My wife wanted one, but I did not want to spend that extra money. It was already too pricey in my mind. If we have the same builder, I will definitely share my experience. I will share the good and the bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Bijju Welcome to TFP. Very nice pool design. Several items that I would review

As others have stated - you need to seriously consider a SWCG. you have Jandy automation and the maximum SWCG they make is 40k gal (AP1400). So the AP1400 should be suitable for your 26k gal pool. I have this unit and it works well. It makes life so much easier, especially in the Houston area.

Speaking of automation, it shows the Jandy AquaLink which is fine but it is the PDA version. If you want full remote accessibility via your phone app or computer, you need to get the RS version. And since you have 3 pumps, I recommend you get the RS8 version. It seems the PB is not giving you flexibility on how your automation system Functions. If you wish to local control (for use by your kids), you can still have the PDA connected in addition to your full remote capability.

There are many capabilities that automation can provide and picking the right system is important now before everything is installed. For example, do you want your lights to be controlled as a single unit, they all come on at once, or do you wish to be selective in which light comes on. How it is wired to your automation system will be determined.

Similarly, your plumbing design is important now before they do the installation. Do you want your bubbler to come on while you are in Spa Mode. How they plumb that will determine if that is capable. Since you have 2 water feature pumps, ask the PB for plumbing design now and ensure that is what you want.

I know this is a lot, but many people just assume the PB is giving them the right equipment however, you have to live with it every day so it is best to understand what capability you want so it can be designed and set up properly.

I am confused by this and was when it was written on my thread. I have the PDA8 with Aqualink. However, I am able to do everything either from my iPad or iPhone. I can control my pool from anywhere. In fact, when I was in Costa Rica and I was concerned about the freeze, I could control my pool equipment. I can control deck lights, pool lights, spa, spa lights, filter pump, heater, bubblers and even my robot from either my phone or iPad. In addition, Aqualink can access my pool equipment to fix things. I never use the PDA. I could use it but I don’t. My PB was correct in that I would not use it.

Waiting on our PB to send drawing plans to us and then submit the same to HOA. Once our HOA approves (expecting between 20-30 days for it), they will start digging in a week from approval
HOAs can be a pain. I am in Montgomery, TX and lucky because our Architectural Review Committee typically turns around non-house stuff in 1-2 days. If the weather holds my dig will start this coming week.

I have the PDA8 with Aqualink. However, I am able to do everything either from my iPad or iPhone. I can control my pool from anywhere.
Do you have 2 antennas from your box or just one. If 1, what does it say on it. Just want to understand what you have. Thanks.

Do you have 2 antennas from your box or just one. If 1, what does it say on it. Just want to understand what you have. Thanks.
I have two antennas. I also have the Aqualink IQ30 3.0 web interface device.

Attachments

• 9D7940CA-2E3A-43E3-B031-14FBA24B222A.jpeg
    9D7940CA-2E3A-43E3-B031-14FBA24B222A.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 43CB00D4-0EEC-4777-82B9-C53634B24E52.jpeg
    43CB00D4-0EEC-4777-82B9-C53634B24E52.jpeg
    576.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 71917CFF-D890-48A8-89A3-DCBFF55203C3.jpeg
    71917CFF-D890-48A8-89A3-DCBFF55203C3.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 28
  • A0FD64B3-DF0A-487B-9968-E5968A6FAE35.jpeg
    A0FD64B3-DF0A-487B-9968-E5968A6FAE35.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I have two antennas. I also have the Aqualink IQ30 3.0 web interface device.
That makes sense. The IQ30 antenna facilitates the web interface. The PDA antenna only communicates with the PDA locally. I suggest you do all your scheduling and programming via the web interface - either on phone app or computer. Use the PDA just to do local controls especially for young adults who you do not want messing with schedules, pump speeds, etc.

I am confused by this and was when it was written on my thread. I have the PDA8 with Aqualink. However, I am able to do everything either from my iPad or iPhone. I can control my pool from anywhere. In fact, when I was in Costa Rica and I was concerned about the freeze, I could control my pool equipment. I can control deck lights, pool lights, spa, spa lights, filter pump, heater, bubblers and even my robot from either my phone or iPad. In addition, Aqualink can access my pool equipment to fix things. I never use the PDA. I could use it but I don’t. My PB was correct in that I would not use it.
The main difference is the PDA system will only allow on/off functionality from your mobile device. Any and all scheduling or setup will require the physical PDA to setup. RS will allow full access to the web interface from the mobile app so you can control and setup everything and don’t need the PDA device at all. You’ll also get additional feedback info like watts/rpm/salt level, etc. that you won’t get with just the PDA system (you’ll get it on the PDA device only); you’ll be able to adjust salt %age as well.
RS is just more flexible as it gives more feedback. If you don’t change schedules or care to know pump feedback or adjust salt output and are fine using the PDA device for those items then the PDA system is good for most folks. The other positive with RS is if you lose or break the PDA, it’s no matter since you’ll use your phone/tablet anyways. With PDA system you’ll have to purchase a new PDA device to adjust schedules.

Last edited:
That makes sense. The IQ30 antenna facilitates the web interface. The PDA antenna only communicates with the PDA locally. I suggest you do all your scheduling and programming via the web interface - either on phone app or computer. Use the PDA just to do local controls especially for young adults who you do not want messing with schedules, pump speeds, etc.
Thanks, this is exactly what I do but I don’t use the PDA at all.

The main difference is the PDA system will only allow on/off functionality from your mobile device. Any and all scheduling or setup will require the physical PDA to setup. RS will allow full access to the web interface from the mobile app so you can control and setup everything and don’t need the PDA device at all. You’ll also get additional feedback info like watts/rpm/salt level, etc. that you won’t get with just the PDA system (you’ll get it on the PDA device only); you’ll be able to adjust salt %age as well.
RS is just more flexible as it gives more feedback. If you don’t change schedules or care to know pump feedback or adjust salt output and are fine using the PDA device for those items then the PDA system is good for most folks. The other positive with RS is if you lose or break the PDA, it’s no matter since you’ll use your phone/tablet anyways. With PDA system you’ll have to purchase a new PDA device to adjust schedules.
I appreciate your explanation. I wanted automation for my pool. My PB put Aqualink PDA8 and the web interface as part of our equipment. I didn’t know what that all meant and trusted the PB. When I began researching on my own I saw that there was a PDA or RS Aqualink system. It seemed that the RS system was more comprehensive and I wondered why they didn’t order that. However, since I have the capability of controlling everything with my iPad and iPhone, I am extremely happy.

I appreciate your explanation. I wanted automation for my pool. My PB put Aqualink PDA8 and the web interface as part of our equipment. I didn’t know what that all meant and trusted the PB. When I began researching on my own I saw that there was a PDA or RS Aqualink system. It seemed that the RS system was more comprehensive and I wondered why they didn’t order that. However, since I have the capability of controlling everything with my iPad and iPhone, I am extremely happy.
Yep makes sense. I think the whole PDA/RS difference is just ridiculously confusing and wish they’d just release a single comprehensive system to simplify things.

Reactions: Carlos22
It is hard to compare prices unless you are looking at apples and apples and not apples and oranges. Your quote looks reasonable considering the size of your pool compared to mine. Your pool is bigger but mine includes an extended patio with an island and I have a lot more decking with pavers. Yet, our prices are almost identical. I have pictures of my finished pool and patio on this site. I notice you have an outdoor bathroom with a shower. Is there a toilet as well. That would be a plus. My wife wanted one, but I did not want to spend that extra money. It was already too pricey in my mind. If we have the same builder, I will definitely share my experience. I will share the good and the bad.
Thank you! After all the advice from fellow forum friends, we are strongly considering SWG and gonna discuss this with the PB.

Regarding outdoor shower, its just a shower head. We also have a powder bath close to the area where the outdoor shower head will be placed and this has a back entry door as well, so dint need an extra toilet.

I checked your pool build thread. Beautiful pool and also really liked your enclosed structure idea. Nicee 👌

Not sure if there are any rules on sharing PB's name here in TFP, but the one we have is from Regal pools. Who did you go with ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.