...the next steps - making sure this is correct

I'm using the Hayward SP1068DL, it clips onto the pole that I can also use the net and brush on. It seems to get a lot of suction when I use it. Mostly worries about that filter now. I am hopeful my pool is just soo dirty at the bottom that is the reason for dirty water returning to pool.

This pool sounds dirtier than I was thinking. Marian asked about deep cleaning and how long since this has been done. If dirty water is coming straight back into the pool, then I think you should do that. We'll re-check the stabilizer after that's done.

I will read up on deep cleaning the filter. As I bought he hose in March and no one has lived in the home since at least 2014, I can only say it's been at least two years, while not in use, and probably much longer. The PSI on the filter is pretty consistently around 11-14psi. I haven't seen the filter raise past 15psi, it really has been consistent since it's been running and it's been runner well.ober a month.

Yeh, the filter pressure would be going up if it was doing the job. The sand gets channelled (imagine raceways like critters leave underground) and the deep clean will get rid of that. Go gentle when you have the hose in deep so you don't knock the laterals around and do whatever it takes to keep grunge out of the stand-pipe. It's a fairly straight-forward process. Hopefully the valve comes off without too much drama. That deep-cleaning thread/article is very thorough and well worth reading.

Planning to deep clean this weekend. Looks like I should have done this first. Pool is making progress, water isn't green and is more of a real color and cloudy. I am keeping the fc around 12-14 each time I add more bleach. This am when check on it, only needed half gallon! Better than the almost two gallons the day before. Hopefully deep clean fixes the remainder of the issues. Can't wait to see the bottom if that pool! I will try and upload a pic tonight for you all to see my progress so far.

Thanks again for all the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Ha....the photo did upload from my phone....lol.....here is the before....this pic was taken on 7/8...I didn't begin the SLAM until 7/26 then lost a day when ran out of bleach

Attachments

• IMG_20160721_201430459.jpg
    IMG_20160721_201430459.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 82

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think i may need to get into the pool to get those stairss out. I was thinking about doing that once I can see bottom and know water is clean.

Yes - gauge goes to 0 when pump is off. I actually replaced the gauge when we first boight the house. Gauge appears to be functional I just haven't seen the pressure go past 15 since I've been running it.

I think i may need to get into the pool to get those stairs out. I was thinking about doing that once I can see bottom and know water is clean.

Yes - gauge goes to 0 when pump is off. I actually replaced the gauge when we first bought the house a couple months ago. Gauge is functional I just haven't seen the pressure go past 15psi since I've been running it.

Good idea on the stairs and the sooner the better. It looks like the rungs may be c-shaped (or whatever that would be called). There could be green monsters under them if so. Can you tell I am engineering illiterate???

I don't have removable stairs, so I am no expert. Do you HAVE to get in the pool to take them out?

Middle tube in sand filter is broken. I also removed the plug in hopes to get all water out to see the sand, but the water stays in the sand filter and does leave the sand filter. How to i go about fixing this?

We use the Poolblaster Catfish vacuum, has worked fine for the past year. Doesn't get rid of algae (only chlorine does that) but it does vacuum up leaves and debris quite nicely.

I am in agreement with chipchip on the Poolblaster vacuum, even though I still use the skimmer suction to vacuum. It is nice to clean the steps, and any other small objects in the pool, especially after you spend 15 minutes, put everything away and then realize that there is more debris in the pool. Always rinse with fresh water and let dry before putting away.

UPDATE - any feedback is appreciated thanks in advance.

Good News - Thoroughly deep cleaned the sand filter and lateral assembly has been replaced (standpipe was cracked all the way down to the laterals at bottom) this weekend. I now am seeing pressure changes when the filter gets dirty to alert me to backwash, I have been doing it at 18-20 PSI (normal is about 11-12 PSI). I have been keeping the FC between 12-14 - the water is now clear to the first step - although it has been about 2 weeks keeping the pool at shock level.

Bad News - I am still seeing dirty water return into the pool when I vacuum a very dirty section of the pool, there appears to still be small stuff in a couple of spots in the pool. Not sure if there is an easier way than to keep slowly vacuuming or if there are other methods? Should I bring FC level higher than 12-14? or should I just keep doing what I have been doing. I have been averaging about 1.5 gallons of 8.25 bleach every day and spending about $30 a week on bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.