The Mess Is Now Plastered!

That may be typical. Ours got cleaned maybe twice. Every day I went to the "trash pile" to see if they threw away something I needed. That's where I got the manuals for the pumps, filter, heater, etc. Also scavenged some unused parts. Later, I recovered the leftover stone from the coping. Broke it into manageable pieces and used them for freeform stepping stones from the decking to the equipment pad. At the end of the job, a cleanup crew came in and picked up the trash pile, added some fill dirt, and pretty much smoothed everything out. For months I found small items they found it easier to cover than pick up.
ours did the exact same thing. They should be keeping it somewhat tidy, it is a construction site, but there is no need for pure chaos.

Wow! So it's already full!?! Happy Pool-Birthday! :party:
Thanks! The pictures are not great. Need to figure out the reason I am unable to upload video. The water tank filled 7000 gallons in 30 minutes. My hose filled the rest (about 1500 gallons) in three - four hours. PB started the equipment yesterday (not the SWG), added their chemical protocol, and told me to brush only. They don’t want me to touch the equipment or add anything to the pool until they turn
it over to me. They added chlorine pucks to a floater, stabilizer, acid and more (I have a list). A few more weeks until I can start the TFP way! Of course we are under a tropical storm warning so that’s worrisome to this new pool owner.

I have a thread for you about pools and storms. This gives you a good base line to work from and things to know and think about:

I have a thread for you about pools and storms. This gives you a good base line to work from and things to know and think about:
Thank you so much! I hope the rain isn’t too bad. My PB does not want me to touch the equipment and I haven’t had orientation yet. I will keep watch and if there is an issue call the PB.

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks! The pictures are not great. Need to figure out the reason I am unable to upload video. The water tank filled 7000 gallons in 30 minutes. My hose filled the rest (about 1500 gallons) in three - four hours. PB started the equipment yesterday (not the SWG), added their chemical protocol, and told me to brush only. They don’t want me to touch the equipment or add anything to the pool until they turn
it over to me. They added chlorine pucks to a floater, stabilizer, acid and more (I have a list). A few more weeks until I can start the TFP way! Of course we are under a tropical storm warning so that’s worrisome to this new pool owner.
Brushing for now is good. There shouldn't be any automatic vacuuming going on. Don't let them add any salt. We've heard of PBs that do that too early. Tell him you don't want to use the SWG or add any salt until next Spring. We can revisit that after he turns the pool over to you, at which point you'll figure out when best to do that. And keep an eye on CYA. The fact that he added CYA and is using pucks can be an issue. Can you find out what type of pucks he's using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brushing for now is good. There shouldn't be any automatic vacuuming going on. Don't let them add any salt. We've heard of PBs that do that too early. Tell him you don't want to use the SWG or add any salt until next Spring. We can revisit that after he turns the pool over to you, at which point you'll figure out when best to do that. And keep an eye on CYA. The fact that he added CYA and is using pucks can be an issue. Can you find out what type of pucks he's using?
Yes, I can find out. They aren’t starting the SWG for 30 days. Thanks for the information.

Yes, I can find out. They aren’t starting the SWG for 30 days. Thanks for the information.
What are your water temps? If 50° or below, your SWG isn't going to produce any chlorine. I did a startup about this time of year, and I ran my pool as a non-SWG pool until Spring. I figured why plug-in my SWG when I can't turn it on? Or add salt at 30 days when waiting a few months might be better for the new plaster? Either way is probably fine, in the grand scheme of things, the only important factor is to make sure they wait at least a month to add the salt.

What are your water temps? If 50° or below, your SWG isn't going to produce any chlorine. I did a startup about this time of year, and I ran my pool as a non-SWG pool until Spring. I figured why plug-in my SWG when I can't turn it on? Or add salt at 30 days when waiting a few months might be better for the new plaster? Either way is probably fine, in the grand scheme of things, the only important factor is to make sure they wait at least a month to add the salt.
Thanks! Will check the water temp. On another note, I have an awful fear of snakes. I FINALLY worked up the courage to open the skimmer and clean the basket for the first time. My fear became a reality. A snake was swimming in the skimmer. I quickly closed it and promptly hired someone to take care of this task.

Creep crawly things. Whaddayagonnado. 🐍

So you build one of these PVC gizmos, and modify it for dual purposes. We'll call is your "Pool Stick." It's for sampling water in the winter without getting your arm wet. (You plug the hole with your thumb, put the Pool Stick into the water, then release your thumb to sample water from about 18" deep.) You fashion or buy a hook that you affix to the end, with a couple of stainless steel hose clamps. The PVC is about 30" long. Then you use the hook to lift the skimmer lid, and reach inside the skimmer with the Pool Stick to snag the basket and pull it out. Snakes can't strike farther than they are long, so you'll be perfectly safe.

sample pipe 2.jpgsample pipe 1.jpg

The hook would need to be able to fit in the skimmer lid hole, so you could take the lid with you to Lowes/HD to find the perfect one. Something like these, plus the hose clamps, some 3/4" PVC and a couple of PVC caps:

images-1.jpegimages.jpegUnknown.jpeg

Come on, you can do it!!

Of you could use a Frog Log and give all your nocturnal swimmers a way to get out of the pool.

Regarding creepy crawlies - I bought a skimmer basket puller from Amazon
One end is for pulling the lid off the skimmer and the other is for hooking to the skimmer basket handle and pulling it out. The skimmer angel type things that are permanently attached to the basket handle don't work for me since the critters just sit on the handle you are supposed to grab, defeating the purpose! I keep the gadget I bought near the pool and no more worries. Dirk's version would be cheaper and doubles as a water sampler, though, so if you have the time/motivation to make that, it's better.

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.