Palm Desert, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Ordered 3 different manufacturers of cartridges to fit my Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 240.
1) Pleatco# PCC-60
2) Excel xls764
3) Filbur Filter FC1956
4) OEM Pentair filter (came with new filter, and is 2 years old, but gonna have in there as 4th filter in 4-gun)

Here’s my test, begins today.
Which one has best even distribution of dirt and lasts the longest.

Which other criteria shall I test?

Band strength?

Anyone know the cartridge filter brand that Pentair installs as OEM in their new filters? I’m less than impressed for a $700 purchase! They appear to be poorly made Reemay poly-paper style (cheapo IMHO) but remarkably the 4 cartridges lasted 2 years.

I

kd,

I am still using the original Pentair cartridges, that are over 4 years old. I just hose them off them about every 6 months. Just from a visual point of view I see no real wear and tear and will be disappointed if I don't get another 6 years out of them.. I suspect that only having a filter pressure of 2 lbs. helps with the longevity...

Time will tell...

Jim R.

Wow, now that’s longevity! The bands on the original cartridges are coming off, never kept the folds equidistant, but most concerning was the lack of uniformity of distribution of dirt. Some areas were white clean after months of use.

Wonder if I got a bad batch.

kd,

I am still using the original Pentair cartridges, that are over 4 years old. I just hose them off them about every 6 months. Just from a visual point of view I see no real wear and tear and will be disappointed if I don't get another 6 years out of them.. I suspect that only having a filter pressure of 2 lbs. helps with the longevity...

Time will tell...

Jim R.

I have a good number of original Pentair cartridges in service, touching the 10 year mark.

I must admit the OEM replacement costs being cut by nearly 60% concerns me.

All the filter cartridges are now in there and have been running for a week. We get lots of fine dirt and dust, but only small floating leaves from neighbors bougainvillea which end up in skimmer basket. My stained concrete deck is peeling so we also get fist fulls of paint chips in there as well.

I was really disappointed at the OE cartridges once they dried. I have 3 set out now and the top and bottom plates are delaminating along with some of the bands.

When y’all clean your filter do you unscrew the cup drain plug? I get lots of settled dirt and paint chips so I do each time, but I over tightened it on old filter and it destroyed the already old fiberglass threads. Much more careful now, but didn’t know if that’s a standard maintenance item?

I was really disappointed at the OE cartridges once they dried. I have 3 set out now and the top and bottom plates are delaminating along with some of the bands.
Not sure these are designed to survive drying out. I’ve never let mine dry. Hose off & re-insert, is all. I tend to replace mine every 4 years just because they’re supposed to last 3 years.
When y’all clean your filter do you unscrew the cup drain plug? I get lots of settled dirt and paint chips so I do each time, but I over tightened it on old filter and it destroyed the already old fiberglass threads. Much more careful now, but didn’t know if that’s a standard maintenance item?
I was advised by a pool guy years ago not to open the drain plug specifically because it was easy to strip the threads. So instead, I suck out the dirty bottom water with my shop vac. No doubt that never being loosened will cause the plug to bond to the tank eventually. I choose to prefer that over a damaged, unrepairable thread.

A particular New England annoyance gives our filters plenty of time to dry out, we call it winter.

As for drain plugs, pull those out all the time. You service tech probably came across a problem tank & is gun shy. I don’t blame him, we all have our superstitions.

Too funny!
Yes, it was my intent to have a swap out to reload filters, and also to soak them in solution and hose off to get a cleaner filter and extended change interval. I may reuse 2 of the 3 individual cartridges I have out, but one is in the trash.

After a couple months of this test, I’m gonna buy the best performing filter of the 3 I have in there. There’re all Reemay units (Edit: I should revise that the Excel and Pleatco units have a more advanced ‘point-bonded’ filter fabric material that offers more fibers per square inch. The Filbur, to my best research is genuine Reemay) and I still would love to know if Excel or Pleatco or Unicel manufacture for others as OE?
My $ is on Pleatco, to come out on top based on core and cap construction, but Excel unit felt almost identical in construction and weight. Gotta include images.

I don’t see an issue removing plug, just to remove packed in dirt, but the wet Vac option is intriguing. I magiclube up the gasket on the drain plug every other time and only hand tighten. The fine dirt and sand out here (duh, desert) really is a constant strain in the filters that could age them or be the clear display of ununiform dirt distribution. Living in LA, I’d clean the filters out at longer intervals and they were never this dirty with such globs of dirt. More leaves and such, but it was a pool 3x the size too.

After a couple months of this test, I’m gonna buy the best performing filter of the 3 I have in there. There’re all Reemay units, and I still would love to know if Excel or Pleatco or Unicel manufacture for others as OE? My $ is on Pleatco, but Excel unit felt almost identical in construction and weight. Gotta include images..

Hi KDpoolguy, just wanted to correct you on one thing. Pleatco cartridges are not made with Reemay, we use an exclusive Point Bonded media designed by our engineers called Pleatco Advanced. I am looking forward to seeing your results. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Jeff

Hi KDpoolguy, just wanted to correct you on one thing. Pleatco cartridges are not made with Reemay, we use an exclusive Point Bonded media designed by our engineers called Pleatco Advanced. I am looking forward to seeing your results. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Jeff

Hey, thanks Jeff! I appreciate the update. I do see the Pleatco Advanced mentioned on the box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This past weekend I pulled my first round of my test. Needless to say, all of the filters, save for the original 2 year old Pentair branded filters (shown) showed fairly uniform results. Each showed dirt was uniformly distributed. I liked the lower weight of the Pleatco and Excel cartridges when wet. Was able to comfortably grab all 4 in one swoop. I can’t show poor results for anything at this juncture.

I cleaned them all and put them back except I swapped another Pleatco Advanced unit for the Pentair cartridge. I cleaned and stored for potential future use all 4 Pentairs, though the one shown is in bad shape.

My first time using the Aqua Comb, and really enjoyed it. Gotta be careful to not be too rough with it, but it really cut the cleaning time down while seeming to get more of the dirt out.
Aqua Comb Pool Cartridge Cleaner. Amazon.com : Aqua Comb Pool Cartridge Cleaner Tool - Filter Fin Depth 1-1/4 Outdoor

2454f133afa85e25d0cc1a0e0570236f.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.