The chlorine tab shortage drove me here :)

ptc

May 29, 2021
Pennsylvania
I went looking for tips on chlorinating without tabs and found this site.

No I'm sold on the no-tab method.

My pool is in good shape, clear and balanced for now, but I do want to keep it that way and not use chlorine tabs anymore.

I'm now reading all the beginner material here and getting ready to buy a test kit and basic chems.

Any tips on how to establish a new baseline would be welcome.

Thanks!

Reactions: Bperry
Once you get your test kit you can address any issues than. For right now, I’d just use liquid chlorine or bleach. How much really depends on your cya level which you might not really know yet. I’m sure there’s a basic guideline for adding until you get your testing supplies. Are you able to test anything at all right now with any type of test?

Go to Alibaba and you can get 1000 to 3000 pounds of 3 inch chlorine tablets for less than $1 per pound even after shipping costs. Sell the left over to some who cannot get chlorine tablets. China is making enough chlorine tablets to supply the entire world with no shortages and no price manipulation. It seems this US shortage is created by people trying to control the pool industry and artificially raise prices. The story of the Louisiana plant burning down controlling the world supply is really bogus. Obviously most of this product is made in China and this Louisiana plant burning down does not affect the world supply.
Here is a one ton order for about $1000:

Sometimes you can find name brand chlorox tablets for about half a ton shipped from Rotterdam.