The algae is winning and I want my sanity back!

TxHr

Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2018
New Braunfels, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are going on our third year with our pool. Initially everything was good, but as time progresses, I am losing my never ending battle with algae. The first 1.5 years we used TriChlor tabs and as our CYA levels increased, we were advised to switch to CalHypo. Every since the switch, we have struggled to maintain a consistent chlorine level (we are immersing the pucks in the skimmers).

We live in Central TX and have two consistent battles: breezes and hard water. I fear the CalHypo is ineffective given the current immersion method and it only continues to increase an already elevated CH. As for my TA, it’s always high as is the PH. I’ve chalked it up to our breezy conditions, but I’m wondering if it’s has something to do with our overall chemistry.

After much research, I have decided to install a Stenner system for liquid chlorine. I plan on doing this relatively soon and would appreciate any suggestions/feedback for those that have a system. I would love to install a SWCG, but we have native limestone coping and I’ve seen others have their limestone eaten by the salt in a year :( Idid install an ozone generator, but I’m not sure it helps with anything.

With my increased CYA levels and CH levels, it appears I’ll need to drain some of the pool and refill, although I’m not sure what amount of water will need to be removed.

Latest results:
17,000 gallons
7.8 PH
90 TA
FC 3
CYA 112
Borates 80

Tested @ Pool Store w/ SureTest digital testing system (don’t shoot me!)

Any advice is on chemicals, water swap and Stenner is greatly appreciated.

I’m also curious how much liquid chlorine I’ll be using daily, when I get my chemistry dialed-in. TIA.

FIrst off- order your own test kit. Either the TF-100 from www.tftestkits.net or the K-2006C from an online vendor. Stores don't carry these.

Who in the word told you to use CalHypo in a hard water area!!?? Not a good idea.

Liquid chlorine or plain unscented, non-thickened, non-Clorox or Cloramax technology bleach are all NO-NOs! Go for the plainest bleach you can find, or Liquid Shock. Look in the pool section of Walmart.

A hot Texas pool in the sun can use up to a gallon of chlorine per day, depending on the CYA level. You want to be no higher than 50ppm of CYA. Evaporation will steal some water daily. Running a chiller or fountain (at night) can help cool the water down.

Big pools obviously use more than small ones.

You can assume you're going to need to drain half and refill. Draining - Further Reading

Never add pucks (when using occasionally) to the skimmer- acidic water builds up there and will chew thru gaskets and such when pump turned on. No Bueno!

Go ahead and ask questions as they arise :)

Maddie :flower:

Tested @ Pool Store w/ SureTest digital testing system (don’t shoot me!)
I won’t shoot you but I’ll tell ya about the gal 2 weeks ago that the pool store said had a CYA of 115 and after getting a reliable test kit found it it didn’t need a 75% drain because it was really a 40. You just *can’t* rely on such an important parameter when they basically throw a dart at a wall and call the CYA a random #.

I had pool store people’s reports (3 successive water tests covering about 6-7 weeks time) showing that my CYA was increasing a lot. Funny thing, that would be impossible as I was only putting liquid chlorine & muriatic acid in my water for last 9 months.

When I questioned the last clerk about their numbers I got a wild theory that someone else may be sneaking into the yard & treating my pool without my knowledge.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Snoobug and Msch99
Thank you for all of your responses, I appreciate your help!

I attempted to use my K-2006C test kit and measure my CYA, as per the instructions here on the site. I either calculate 90 or 100 ppm. Either way, at this point, my CYA is too high, as is my water hardness. To maintain chlorine throughout the summer, i figure I need to maintain an 8ppm minimum and keep my PH at 7.4-7.6. Is there anything else I should be doing to keep the high CH at bay until I can drain 1/2 and refill when it cools down (in Texas that could be early next year)?

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your responses, I appreciate your help!

I attempted to use my K-2006C test kit and measure my CYA, as per the instructions here on the site. I either calculate 90 or 100 ppm. Either way, at this point, my CYA is too high, as is my water hardness. To maintain chlorine throughout the summer, i figure I need to maintain an 8ppm minimum and keep my PH at 7.4-7.6. Is there anything else I should be doing to keep the high CH at bay until I can drain 1/2 and refill when it cools down (in Texas that could be early next year)?
The taylor kit only goes to 100 so you might actually be over 100. Try doing the test, but dilute your pool water sample with 50% tap/distilled water and test again. Then you double the result to get CYA level.
If your water is clear now, you’ll need to keep the FC pretty high to keep it that way.

If you have algae now, you’ll need to SLAM to get rid of it. With that high CYA, it would be a lot of a chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.