Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Come join us Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 11 am EDT/8 am PDT. Catanzaro (aka Dominic), bmoreswim (aka Kurt), jseyfert3 (aka Jonathan) and ajw22 (aka Allen) will be joining us for a discussion about Winterizing your Pool.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this discussion for sure! I'm going to try and attend the zoom, but most likely end up watching the recorded session instead. While I've been closing my pool myself since day one-almost 20 years ago, I'm very much interested in seeing if there is something I've overlooked. One area in particular is the water itself. I only recently learned from reading here that the water temp should be 60 or less when closing for winter. Admittedly, I've never checked it at all and likely the water has been closer to 70. And maybe its just luck, but in all those years, I only had to deal with a green pool once when opening in the spring. Does closing when the water is well above 60 cause any other concerns?

That said, I'd also be interested in hearing about the correct levels for CL PH TA etc for those of us in the northern parts, and do you check it during the winter months?...I never have. The local PB who replaced my liner said that low PH was likely what caused the wrinkles(vinyl liner) on the deep end wall. I know for a fact my PH has never gone below 7.2 when open. He suggested it may have dropped over the winter months. I do have to drain some during the winter, depending on how much snow/rain we get. Would the addition of that precipitation over the winter months affect PH that much?

Can't wait til Saturday...

Reactions: mknauss
The local PB who replaced my liner said that low PH was likely what caused the wrinkles(vinyl liner) on the deep end wall. I know for a fact my PH has never gone below 7.2 when open. He suggested it may have dropped over the winter months.

I do suspect the chemistry is on tap for Saturday but I also greatly suspect the statement by your builder is incorrect. I too hope Marty and all expand on items like pH over the winter as it does play a part for some owners, especially those with plaster pools. 👍

Reactions: GSD_fanatic
I know for a fact my PH has never gone below 7.2 when open. He suggested it may have dropped over the winter months.
What was the pH and TA at closing?
I do have to drain some during the winter, depending on how much snow/rain we get.
Probably groundwater pushed the liner up and the wrinkles happened as the water retreated and the liner came back down.

Do you have a picture?
Would the addition of that precipitation over the winter months affect PH that much?
Not enough to wrinkle the liner.

Low pH wrinkles are typically very small, very random and they would be everywhere.

Low pH wrinkles look a lot like this.

1629823833582.png
1629823853373.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
It will be recorded and placed on the TFP YouTube channel.
TFP TV

It will be posted on this thread when the recording is available. Typically by the Monday after the discussion.

Reactions: TVC123
Reminder to post any questions you have here before tomorrow afternoon. Or if you can join us at 11AM EDT, you can post your questions then using Chat in the Zoom Call.

What was the pH and TA at closing?

Probably groundwater pushed the liner up and the wrinkles happened as the water retreated and the liner came back down.

Do you have a picture?

Not enough to wrinkle the liner.

Low pH wrinkles are typically very small, very random and they would be everywhere.

Low pH wrinkles look a lot like this.
Please excuse the delay, I wasn't aware that you posted a reply. I'll have to see if email notification is an option here.

Since the new liner was installed, I make sure the PH is at least 7.8 and the TA about 80 when closing. TA always remains around 80, so never had the need to adjust it. PH can fluctuate sometimes, but mostly after a day of swimming with several family members. It was the end of the season when the new liner was installed, and the PB added CL and Borax to the water he supplied. 2 weeks later I closed the pool. At this time, I was still using dip strips and the pool store for testing...yeah I know!! Old school mom & pop kinda place, so had -what I thought- was reliable results. Just prior to closing I had the pool store test the water, and as I recall everything was fine. At that time, I also had just discovered TFP and decided I wanted to do my own testing based on what has been said here. So starting the next season with a new liner, I have tested the water myself using the newly purchased K2006. When I opened the pool for the first full season the following year, that was when I saw the wrinkles.

I question the ground water being the cause as I am located on a hilltop...high and dry. Never any standing water anywhere in the 30 years I've lived here. I've dug 6' deep holes and several trenches and never any water. When the pool was dug (8' @ deep end), the hole remained dry the entire time except for rainfall. When it did rain and the water collected in the hole...it was bone dry by the next day. Not once did it require pumping. If it was caused by groundwater, wouldn't it just be limited to the pool floor and not the wall? Behind the deep end wall where the wrinkles are, had to raise the finish grade about 2' or so. So we used the material from excavation...sandy gravel type of fill.

I have a few pics of the wrinkles, but here's the best one at sunrise with the pool off and the bright sun. You can see the vertical wrinkles on both sides of the light. No where else are they're any. I did wonder if the wrinkles were a result of draining the pool down just below the returns for closing. The same way I had done it all the prior years with the original wrinkle free liner. I actually wondered if the wrinkles were due to something??? from the liner installation.

Attachments

• Liner wrinkles.jpg
    Liner wrinkles.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been reasonably successful opening and closing my pool in the four years I have had it. I’m wondering if there is a way to improve my process so that I don’t have to SLAM every spring at opening.

Due to our winter travel schedule, I can rarely wait until the water temp is below 60 deg to close. Likewise, I cannot open until it is above that temperature.

My process includes drawing the pool down 18”, blowing out the lines, then throwing in a quart of polyquat along with a floater filled with chlorine tabs. The pool is then covered with a safety cover that has a rectangular mesh drain in the center. Normally, I’ll have to drain out rain water at least a couple of times over the winter. Around late feb, I’ll refill the floater with more tabs.

This past spring I opened in mid-May to mostly clear, yet slightly cloudy water. I SLAMmed the pool for about seven days before being able to pass the three exit criteria. Am I doing harm by adding the chlorine tabs? Perhaps the poly can do the job by itself?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm out of town and won't be able to join. I am a new member and this is vital to learn. Will it be available anywhere to watch later?
It will be recorded and placed on the TFP YouTube channel.
TFP TV

It will be posted on this thread when the recording is available. Typically by the Monday after the discussion.

Reactions: Xuna
Our pool is closed with a "solid" pool cover (loop loc). Electric pool cover pump on top.

When it snows, the weight of the snow pushes thousands of gallons of water out of the pool. It's initially drained to 1" below the tiles. Part of the problem is that the snow eventually freezes the pump and the hose in-place, preventing the melt from getting pumped off. It eventually re-freezes.

So, what's the best way to avoid this situation? I won't "walk on and shovel" the snow off of the cover :laughblue:

BTW, I have a signature file but I don't see it showing while composing this message. Whatsup with that? It DOES appear after posting (y)

Odd. Exactly what I am on. Your signature shows for me.
Check your Theme. Bottom left of Webpage. Should be Trouble Free Pool - Autodetect
To be clear, the signature doesn't appear for me **while posting**. After submitting via the "Post reply button", the signature appears.

I updated my signature file today. When looking at old posts, the "new" signature shows up. That might explain what's going on; the signature is an "add-on" not text appended to a post.
The theme in "settings" is as you recommend. This might be a personalized FireFox issue (I have the latest update) and various extensions that I have for security. For what it's worth, I captured a screenshot while composing this, in addition to the theme setting.TFP2.pngTFP.png

Attachments

• TFP.png
    TFP.png
    49 KB · Views: 0
The signature does not show while you are composing the reply. Once you post the reply, the signature should be shown. If you change your signature, it is changed for all your posts, past and future.

Reactions: p00lhack

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.