TFP and wine ???

niteshift38

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Hamburg/NY
I know how to correct a potential issue, but would like to pick someones brain on how this happened (maybe). My TFP pool has been gin clear and sparkly ... LOL. Since opening in May, my PH has been either 7.4 or 7.6 ... Tested this morning, 1st time since the 29th. PH jumped to 7.8+ ... It was 7.6 on the other day, and added nothing but my daily bleach (over the weekend, someone did lose their 16oz cup of red wine while floating). Tested 3 times total to be sure, then ran the full tests to rule out human error.

FC - 8 (bumped it last night because I figure it will get alot of use today and tomorrow)
CC - 0
PH - 7.8+ (not quite the 8 color, but close)
TA - 100 (this has been there for several weeks)
CH - 210
CYA - 30
Temp - 76

Moderate usage over the weekend

My question is, because I added NOTHING other than bleach for the last couple of weeks, could the 16oz glass of red wine have caused the PH jump? My only other thoughts could be something someone had on such as perfume or cologne. Happy 4th to all :eek:

Good point. I just was thinking if 1 "Red Solo Cup" of MA will correct it, I was curious if the same cup of wine could have the opposite effect ... LOL. The slide was used alot so that would make sense (forgot about that).

Look up red wine ph...
Wine tends to run a bit on the acidic side... ph of about 3.5... following this fact would lead me to believe that the spill would have actually helped to lower your ph a BIT.
The rise in ph was probably due to splashing.

Correct you are! Wikipedia says most wines are between 2.9 and 3.9. Never thought to look it up. Learning here is a never ending process. Aerating it is! ... Thanks and Happy 4th of July everyone. TFP ROCKS!!!!!!!!

pooldv ... agree ... I just am very "territorial" about my pool water (Obsessed I guess you could say after running through the "pool store" money machine) ... when something goes off from the norm, I look at the variables ... and that was the ONLY thing that came to mind (until AimeeH mentioned the aeration) ... NEVER thought to look up the PH of wine (but did after RonsPLC reply) ... If I EVER have any doubts about accidental items being admitted into the pool, I will look up the potential effects it could have! ... Thank You TFP for my trouble free pool (1st year since 1999 that I have owned my pool and not had ANY major problems) ... For any new to the TFP way, I was skeptical and overwhelmed at first, but once you listen to the advice here, you will NOT be disappointed ... might be off topic on this, but for my pool, I add one solo cup of bleach/chlorine per day and my pool is pristine (after I took control of it the TFP way) ... Happy Swimming all !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.