TF100 Kit TA test is pink before adding drops HELP!!!

May 24, 2015
Columbus, MS
As the title says, I have the TF100. This is my third house with a pool. The first was chlorine, 2nd salt, this one chlorine again. My total alkalinity test is pink before adding the drops to make it pink My ph is yellow based on the little blue kit. yellow does not match any of the levels in the blue kit. I assumed the ph was very low. I have added 2 boxes of 20 Mule team and about 5lbs of baking soda before the last test. CYA is high at 90 because a pool maintenance company was maintaining with tablets before I bought the house. I am using bleach to maintain FC. No CC.

I need help understanding what to do about the ph and TA. Thank you!!

Hello and welcome.

Can you please provide more information about your pool? See this link for more information: Read This BEFORE You Post - Trouble Free Pool

Looking for size of pool in gallons, above ground or in ground, plaster, vinyl, or fiberglass, etc. Look at the link I posted for full details.

Your total alkalinity is very low and your pH also probably very low as well (from overuse of acidic tablets most likely). You did well by adding borax and baking soda, but I don't know if your calculations are correct without knowing the size of your pool.

You can retest after those items have circulated for 30 minutes.

So is the TA test still not turning green after everything you've added? The general recommendation is the ad about 40 PPM of ta with baking soda and then retesting TA in pH after that has circulated for about 30 minutes to an hour

I have a 16x32 in-ground vinyl pool. I just tested again and the ph is yellow on the little blue kit. The TA is at 10 (it did not instantly turn pink. I added one box of 20 mule yesterday, one box today, and about 5lbs of baking soda today. What does yellow mean for PH?

Ignore the pH for now. The pH is way too low for the test kit.

Get the TA up to about 80 to 90 with baking soda and the pH should be back in the readable range in a day or so.

Your high CYA is going to skew the TA until you get the CYA down some. And, the high CYA is going to require a high fc level to maintain good fc/cya ratios.

So, you're going to want to work on bringing the CYA down as soon as reasonably possible.

It's amazing that a service would let your TA go below 0 and let your pH go below 4.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I've got the TA at 70 and ph at 7.5. Seems to be remaining steady.

The house was empty and for sale. I think the pool company was just trying to make it clear with lots of shock. About to start a new post on how to cool it down. We are having record temperatures and when I get home from work in the afternoon it is not comfortable. Feels like a hot bath!

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.