TF100 Arrived!!!! help! 7/2 CLOUDY AGAIN :(

joenypd said:
You may have a mechanical problem with the filter of multi-valve and your white stuff "could" be Zeobrite being blow back into the pool from a cracked lateral or some other problem with the mechanicals.
That is exceedingly unlikely. Nothing in this topic in any way suggests a problem with the filter or any other mechanical system of the pool. Zeobrite settles to the bottom after a few hours, and will not leave the water cloudy for an entire day, let alone weeks.

I agree that there is something other than just algae going on. By far the most likely possibility is calcium clouding due to the extremely high TA level and just slightly high CH level.

I recommend that you stop shocking, and as soon as the FC level gets down to 10 or lower, you lower the PH to 7.2.

[attachment=1:3omeblcn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342299714.378805.jpg[/attachment:3omeblcn]

[attachment=0:3omeblcn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342299761.884253.jpg[/attachment:3omeblcn]

Here are 2 pics...have never used my phone to put pics on here so hope it works. Beige stuff in clear shallow and the cloudy deep end.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342299714.378805.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342299714.378805.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 82
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342299761.884253.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342299761.884253.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 82
Jason I told her it was probably calcium saturation or scale back on July 1. Also she has not turned the pump off for over a month. Furthermore filters with crack laterals have been known to sporadically spit out the Zeobrite. Also Jason she has said numerous times the pool is sometimes clear and then sometime cloudy again. I thought that I might be coinciding with her constant back washing as she was told to on the thread.

Just trying to show her that it can be numerous things:
broken pipes
broken filter or equipment
calcium problems and scale
It obviously didn't seem to be algae based on her coments and test results for over a month.
So I thought it best for her and her family, so they can enjoy their pool before August ends, to have a good pool guy/gal come over and go through each possible problem on site to verify what is and what is not happening.
Thanks for joining the thread

[attachment=2:14jna46x]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310260.380923.jpg[/attachment:14jna46x]
Hubby has proven the underground pipe is indeed bad, pump is primed perfectly and the pressure is so much more strong...he still needs to perfect everything but it's working!
[attachment=1:14jna46x]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310394.328160.jpg[/attachment:14jna46x]
Also took the ladder out and what do ya know, I wasn't as through as I thought I was being at scrubbing it while on the side of the pool.
[attachment=0:14jna46x]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310473.690483.jpg[/attachment:14jna46x]
And here is the other ladder with the white crud on it. It looks like the ladder deterioring? Can I just buy new ladder rungs?

All this! It seems like the problem is a conglomeration of all these things! Now to work on the TA and PH. Glad my hubby finally has a second to help me figure stuff out, but all at the promting of you all! So thank you, I really feel that we are on the road to recovery!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310260.380923.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310260.380923.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310394.328160.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310394.328160.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310473.690483.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342310473.690483.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 76
Good work on a quick fix to the husband......one thing at a time. It can definately be hard new house, new pool, its not like its been yours and you know how everything has been working. Your like starting from scratch and that can be hard when there is alot of old problems that have been building and lurking. Good going on the fix.

Things look great!!!! I could bop dh for not quick fixing the pipe sooner! I have a clear and sparkley pool!!!! It took him literally 10 minutes! We powerwashed the ladder rungs and all or most of that powdery stuff came off. Not sure if it was from the ladder or chemicals but it is gone for now.......Now I have to go and measure my Ph and TA and figure out waht to do now.....Will post those results later so ya'll can help me! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whoa, sorry,typing on my phone!! So, Im not sure how much to add exactly...
Also should I continue keeping my return jet pointing up and aerating the entire time I am trying to raise and lower my Ph?
One more, hubby wants me to use Algecide as a weekly maintenace. We have 2 bottles of it, can it hurt?

Jill said:
Whoa, sorry,typing on my phone!! So, Im not sure how much to add exactly...
Also should I continue keeping my return jet pointing up and aerating the entire time I am trying to raise and lower my Ph?
One more, hubby wants me to use Algecide as a weekly maintenace. We have 2 bottles of it, can it hurt?
Tell hubby to stick to equipment maintenance and leave the chemistry to you. :) Don't add any Algecide. You don't need it and depending on what kind it is could cause problems.

As for your TA and PH it goes like this. TA buffers the PH when it is in the optimal range for your pool. When your TA is in range it keeps the PH from rapid swings. Yours is 230 and is on the high side.

There's two ways to lower the TA and both rely on the same mechanisms.

One way is to just add acid when your PH rises to 7.8 and knock it back down to 7.2 The Pool Calculator won't give you advice if you put a lower number in your TA goal column. You use the PH section to determine the amount of acid to lower your PH. When you lower your PH, you also lower TA. Your PH will rise naturally and you then repeat the process.

The other way is basically the same but you aerate your pool water to hasten the PH rise. Same as the first method. When your PH rises to 7.8, you knock it down with acid to 7.2. You then aerate with a fountain, waterfall if you have one, spa jets etc or pointing the return up so it breaks the surface of the water. Same as the first example but you're accelerating the natural PH rise by aerating and making the whole process take less time.

Take note that the PH calculations in Pool Calculator rely on some other numbers that you put in your now columns. It takes into account your TA and Borate numbers. So, when you lower your PH, you are also lowering your TA. It's best to put in half to 3/4's of your acid then test after the pump has mixed it up for 30 minutes or more and add the remainder if needed.

After a couple acid treatments you can test your TA again and put that new lower number in your now column in the TA section of Pool Calc. That will help the Calculator be more accurate in determining the amount of acid needed to lower PH for the next round. Remember, PH calculation ain't exact, so divide your acid additions into two doses and test in between and only add the second dose if needed.

[attachment=0:3angrzh4]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342547876.933298.jpg[/attachment:3angrzh4]Is this the right Muratic Acid? When I put my oh levels in the calc it said to add so many oz of Baume....what's that? And no where on this bottle can I find the % of it. It says it's for etching concrete...is this the wrong stuff? Btw, ph is 7.8.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342547876.933298.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342547876.933298.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 28
And here she is....all sparkley!!!![attachment=0:1eyl5a5q]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342548086.419775.jpg[/attachment:1eyl5a5q]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342548086.419775.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342548086.419775.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 28
That muriatic acid is ~25%. It's really difficult to calculate with. It's about all I can find around here. If I use 31.45% in the calculator, and then add 10% more it should be close, but it never is. Never quite right. Jason needs to write some javascript for 25% in the pool calculator, but I'd probably have to send him cookies or something first... :~}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.