TF-100 test kit has arrived!

dangelini

Aug 16, 2019
East Sacramento Area, CA
Hello,
Due to what I'm sure was just a transient error when I tried to buy the kit on the normal website, I went ahead over to Amazon and ordered it there. It arrived yesterday.

Ordered: August 17th
Arrived: August 19th

Very fast!! Especially since Amazon warned me this item might not arrive till Sept 10th!

Initial impressions ... sweet! Nice attention to detail. Lots of bottles of stuff. Reminds me of a chemistry set. I like the specialty vials and such for specific tests.

So... for first use I did the simple FC and PH test - yep, results agreed with my OTO test kit the previous pool owners had left me (namely, 0.5 or less FC) and with PH was about the same as the reading from my electronic PH tester.

Ok, on to a new type of test for me...

I did the CYA test. The results were zero CYA. (I was able to fill the test tube all the way and the dot was still visible) . It's possible CYA has never been added to this pool before.

Now, I brushed again and in a couple of spots I got the slightest hints of green puff behind the brush.

So, I just picked up a bunch of cyanuric (sp?) acid, and liquid CL and am ready to .... well, I'm not sure exactly.

I'm debating between doing a SLAM .... OR ... just bringing FC and CYN level up to what this website recommends then seeing what my per day loss is on the chlorine, or if my SWG can keep up. Need to do a bit more reading.

You see green, so it's time to follow the SLAM Process. Increase stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30, lower the pH to 7.2, then increase the FC to 12 using regular bleach and keep it there as much as you can while following the SLAM page. No need to use the SWG during the SLAM. Don't stop until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

Once the SLAM is over, then you can increase the CYA for a salt pool and balance the SWG accordingly. See FC/CYA Levels

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Yeah, what Jim said. And hit it hard. Since you barely have any visible, it shouldnt take more than a couple days to knock it out, but you HAVE to keep the FC up to 12. And brush every inch of the pool to get that algae into the water column.

Reactions: dangelini
Okay ... SLAM procedures started!
This morning -
- pulled breaker for the SWG
- disabled the cleaner's pump schedule - removed cleaner from pool
- pool filter pump switched on its normal flow rate - planning to leave it on for days during this.
- brushed every inch of the pool
- measured PH at 7.8 ... so added enough acid to bring it down into pre-slam recommended range.
Now ... waiting ... I'll retest PH in a couple of hours. If in range, will then move to get the CYA to the right level.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Sooo, i added the cya acid. And ... I'm learning this stuff doesn't dissolve very quickly.
Brushed it around for a bit. Kid came home from school and said there was Snow in the Pool. Yeah ... 'snow' ... told them to stay out of it.
I'll keep brushing it around occasionally till it dissolves. Does it dissolve in a reasonable time? Pool water temp is 79 degrees.
:/

Attachments

• IMG_7745.jpeg
    IMG_7745.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 19
Never pour CYA granules in the pool. They can stain the surface. Use the sock method. See Recommended Chemicals in Pool School.

Search for sock method on adding CYA on here, and it will describe the process to add it in a sock. I'm sure other non-newbies will chime in, but until then I would keep brushing.

TFP suggests to add CYA wrapped up in an old sock and then put the sock in the skimmer. It is acidic and you really don't want it on your pool floor.

I would suggest that you get your manual vac and vac the CYA from the pool floor into your filter. It will dissolve typically in 2-3 days. Please don't backwash for the first few days after you put it in the skimmer.......you may backwash some CYA out and you won't reach your goal.

All that said, you are safe to assume that your CYA will come up to what you dosed and can start your SLAM anytime.

You have indicated an excellent grasp of the chemistry and the processes involved. Your pool will be crystal clear very soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just brushed it again ... much of it dissolves during brushing into a fine white cloud. I have no vac so I'll try to brush it into oblivion.

I'll also try brushing the undissolved granules into a corner and try to scoop it up in a beaker - then hopefully "sock it" and drop in the skimmer.

Cool - i learned today how to use the vac.
Also... how to brush till my arms almost fell off.
Mistake: Don't pour cya directly into the pool
Success: Put in enough cya to get to 25 (well, it looks all dissolved and the test kit reads 25 when the dot disappears)
Mistake: but ... then read the instructions again and it looks like what I should target is 70. So, i just put in another amount that should get me to 70. This time correctly - in socks (three socks) in the skimmer.

Now raising the CL. Sounds like I don't need to wait for the CYA to all dissolve before raising the CL so starting now. So far I've gone from 0.2 to 1.5. Progress. Just added more.

Felipe is right, if you need to SLAM, remove the socks.

Follow the non-SWCG chart for a SLAM.

Felipe is right, if you need to SLAM, remove the socks.

Follow the non-SWCG chart for a SLAM.
ok, i'll go pull them now.
I'm guessing this means:
- I'll greatly overshoot my slam target for FC - at least initially, and should let it drift down to 12 (if my CYA settles at 30)
- Once i'm done with the slam I should move back to the SWCG chart and target 70 CYA and FC of 5

Off to pull the socks...

Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.