TF-100 refills, CYA reagent, and My SLAM!

May 9, 2018
Central NC
I am waiting on my TF kit refills ... I can't slam until they get here, hopefully tomorrow afternoon. I was using the last bit of my CYA test and it registered 0 ... which isn't uncommon for me coming out of winter, and that we have gotten so much rain in NC. However, I did float 4 pucks in my pool a few weeks ago and so I expected it to be at least something. I have chlorine in the pool now ... I do know that my powder for the chlorine test is bad, it didn't turn the water pink at all, and when I used the small test with the 5 yellow drops it clearly indicates that there is chlorine. I did want to at least get some stabilizer in it now though. So my question is ... does the CYA reagent go bad in the test kit? Mine is at least a few years old.

I am waiting on my TF kit refills
When did you order them? TFTestkits ships overnight in NC if you order by 3:00 PM, I think.

The CYA reagent is inert and seldom deteriorated. It should be fine but "at least a few years old" is probably too long for any reagents.

I ordered the refill yesterday - the tracking says arrive wednesday, but I guess could be today if I am super lucky! I ordered the whole refill kit, just since my kit is several years old, so I would have fresh everything. I generally have always run the CYA pretty low, so I am not surprised if it is 0

When your kit does come in, do us a favor .... use PoolMath to increase the FC to 10 first. Give it about 10 minutes to mix, then test your FC, CC, and CYA and post back. We want to help you get the SLAM Process started on the right foot. But do that test first before adding anything else.

I'm anxiously awaiting the mail! I was picking up stabilizer and bleach at walmart yesterday ... well, I tried ... do you know there was 0 gallons of bleach at walmart! only some small bottles ... so I got some more expensive just to get a head start ... but goodness i hope they restock today! I'll run a full battery of tests before I start.

I'm anxiously awaiting the mail! I was picking up stabilizer and bleach at walmart yesterday ... well, I tried ... do you know there was 0 gallons of bleach at walmart! only some small bottles ... so I got some more expensive just to get a head start ... but goodness i hope they restock today! I'll run a full battery of tests before I start.
Just to double check ;) It is plain bleach, no additives, not scented, not splashless ?

Did you check in the pool section for liquid chlorine?

Yep, just plain ol bleach ... I just had to go to the more expensive grocery store ... I had huge issues with the liquid chlorine from my walmart early last summer and I won't buy it there anymore and i have no idea how to read the dates ... I may have to trek to the pool store for liquid chlorine today - I never go there because it is 45 minutes from my house ... and it appears my pressure gauge is not working on my filter anymore ... so maybe they have one there.

I am waiting on my TF kit refills ... I can't slam until they get here, hopefully tomorrow afternoon. I was using the last bit of my CYA test and it registered 0 ... which isn't uncommon for me coming out of winter, and that we have gotten so much rain in NC. However, I did float 4 pucks in my pool a few weeks ago and so I expected it to be at least something. I have chlorine in the pool now ... I do know that my powder for the chlorine test is bad, it didn't turn the water pink at all, and when I used the small test with the 5 yellow drops it clearly indicates that there is chlorine. I did want to at least get some stabilizer in it now though. So my question is ... does the CYA reagent go bad in the test kit? Mine is at least a few years old.
April,

Welcome to TFP! Others report zero CYA after opening. Not sure why but could very well be a natural occurring soil bacteria under the right conditions. Each trichlor tablet only adds 3 ppm or less so you could still be at the very lowest detection level of the test.

Chris

April, I resent your tracking number. We ship every business day if ordered by noon. Thanks for your business!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! yall are so fast! I'm crossing my fingers that this summer is going to be better than last summer! I posted a thread yesterday with questions about changing the sand and I know that some people were wondering why I did that versus do a deep cleaning ... well this is a glob of the new sand in a pile of the sand I removed from the filter ... I've never had a pool or been around a pool and we got this one from friends who were taking it down ... so I had no idea that the sand that was in there was so bad! Anyway ... here is hoping that I can finally get this water crystal clear again!

Attachments

• IMG-1789.JPG
    IMG-1789.JPG
    799.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-1789 b.JPG
    IMG-1789 b.JPG
    605.2 KB · Views: 31
Opening numbers
FC 1
CC .5
Ph 7.2
TA 40
CH 50
CYA 0

Plan is to ... add 4 cups 10% liquid bleach, 2 cups borax, 4 pounds stabilizer ... Should I just do bleach for today and the remainder when I pass overnight test? Water is cloudy, but I can see the bottom step. Also, I got a new pressure gauge for the filter and I am wondering the procedure for changing that - should I backwash/rinse, turn off pump, then change gauge, then turn back on to filter and record pressure?

Thanks!

We may merge this with your other thread. But for now, if I recall, bring the FC to "10" without doing anything else first. Test agin in 10 minutes. If the FC holds between 5-10, then add enough stabilizer for a CYA target of "30" and increase the FC to 12. Then you are in SLAM mode. If the FC crashed though, let us know. Don't mess with anyting else at this point until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

Oh, the pressure gauge. The system must be off. If you have valves to shut-off water and isolate the equipment pad, you can close those. If your filter is above the waterline, the water shouldn't leak much anyways. But burp the system from pressure/air if you can. Use 2-3 wraps of teflon tape around the new gauge threads when installing. Afterwards, do your baskwash/rinse to get a clean "baseline" pressure before the SLAM. That way you know when it increases by 25% later to clean it again.

Ok! I can turn off the water from the skimmer and to the return, but our filter is below waterline, but I will grab the teflon tape! I probably need to add some water before backwashing too much. I should have also added - water temp is 76* and pool is in full sun all day until 5pm.

Reactions: Texas Splash
New gauge is at 12.5 ... so backwash at 15.5 .... to get up to 10 FC the app tells me to add 1 gallon of 10% ... should I do this now, or wait until pool is in shade? or add now and then bring back up to 10 when pool is in shade. I've had the robot running multiple times a day for the last 5 days and it is picking up almost nothing at this point and I see no debris on the bottom. Just a few little tiny leaves from the breeze.

April, if your FC holds fairly well on that intial test, here's a reminder for the stabilizer when you get ready to add it ....
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.