North Port, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have been using the Pool Math App and following TFP tips for over 2 years now with great results with my Taylor test kit(s). The kit always lines up with test results from the local pool stores.
Well, I decided to try out the TF-100 everyone on here raves about since my chems were getting old. Plus, it uses Taylor chems, something I trust.
Ordered online and had it shipped to my home, was nicely packed, everything present. My first test felt weird since I was used to using my Taylor kit, some tests were done in different dilutions and whatnot. But what was weirder were my test results, that’s when I noticed some strangeness about the TF-100. There is no consistency on drop size coming out of some of the chems in the kit. They are wildly varying, some just uncontrollably pour out of the tip without even squeezing and some have under half drops coming out, like half grains of rice. Wiping the tips with a wet paper towel did nothing to fix it. I thought, These are Taylor chems, therefore they should be the same size drops as the factory Taylor bottles, right? After all, that is the standard. Well, a side by side comparison concluded that they are not even close.
Needless to say my test results are not correct at all, and now I’m wasting my new chems, bummer.
So I decided to contact tftestkits via the only 2 email addresses I could find to ask for advice. This was over a week ago, no response from the email address from which I received the invoice (sales email, gave it a shot anyway). No response from the email address printed on the front of the TF-100 kit, which is disappointing. What gives?
So I took to this forum in search for someone with this same issue only to find nothing. (Well, just some people saying new bottles have static electricity and wiping tips, which I tried to no avail) I can’t be the only person experiencing this issue, can I? In my opinion the dropper tips are defective. Is there anyone who can shed light on this? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a Taylor K-2006C. I believe other than the pH test reagents, you could carefully remove the tips on your K-kit reagents (I don’t know which Taylor kit you have) as long as its clean just pour the contents into yours. Then carefully put the tip back on. Then test like you’ve always done. If the reagent numbers are exact it should work.

Reactions: Prizbos
I have a Taylor K-2006C. I believe other than the pH test reagents, you could carefully remove the tips on your K-kit reagents (I don’t know which Taylor kit you have) as long as its clean just pour the contents into yours. Then carefully put the tip back on. Then test like you’ve always done. If the reagent numbers are exact it should work.
Thanks, Glad I haven’t thrown my old Taylor kit away yet.

I had a similar issue with a new kit I got last year. The drops would release from the tip MUCH sooner than with m previous kit, so I just swapped out the new tips for the old and all was back to normal. I believe there was some mold release agent on the new tips that broke the surface tension and let the drops fall sooner. If I hadn't had the old set of tips, I would have probably THOROUGHLY cleaned the new tips with detergent, rinsed with distilled water, and wiped with alcohol pads.

I believe I have a similar issue with the TF-100 kit I received last summer. Most of the tests are giving reasonable results, but the Calcium Hardness tests is very high, and I note that the drops from the test reagent seem very small compared to other test reagents.

Spent some time with the TF-100 kit today, and found that, even though there's no comment about it in the instructions for the CA test, that if you first wet the tip of the dropper bottle the resulting drops are substantially larger, probably at least a factor of 2 in volume. The technique I adopted was to press the tip of the reagent bottle against a clean and dry paper towel and allow a small amount of the reagent to wet the towel. This seems necessary for both the R-0010 and the R-0012.

I also received the bottle of CA test standard solution and when testing it I got a very solid transition where the 8'th drop switch the color from red to green. Unfortunately real-world samples (my tap water or my pool water) don't give such clear transitions, but at least now I am getting believable numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.