TF-100 is on its way...and I'll be looking for your guidance soon

Hi MarianParoo

Thanks for your guidance over the past few days

CYA : I have progress. Am at target of 20
PH: I have progress. Am at target of 7.2
FC: Am at 3. I am now working to move this up to Shock FC of 10.
Water quality is unchanged

CYA: Can I work with a level of 20 or should I now aim to move it up to 30?
I'd prefer to stay at 20 for the reason that it will be more difficult to get to Shock FC of 12 (30 CYA) than Shock FC of 10 (20 CYA)

You can SLAM with CYA at 20 but you will use more bleach/chlorine, not less. The lower the CYA the more you will lose FC to the sun daily. Yes, it will take a little more to get to shock level but once you are there you only have to replace what gets used. Last year I SLAMed with CYA at 70 and FC at 28. It was no big deal once you raise FC the first time. I would raise CYA to 30 or even 40. When you are finished SLAMing you will want CYA at 60 anyway.

FC 3.5
CYA 20

Yes, all CYA dissolved.

Action: Using 10% liquid chlorine and targeting shock level of 12 FC. Brush. Vacuumed.

Water is looking improved since I started SLAM on Saturday, but nowhere close to crystal clear

I'm not being able to sustain FC at all

I attempted to target a CYA of 27, and while I am sure CYA is at least 20, it is surely not 30.

Looking for guidance on:
1. Should I attempt to raise CYA further?
2. Would it help if I clean the filter?

I'll continue with targeting FC 12....

Thanks!

Poolmath will give you the same dosage for going from 20-30 or 60-70. It's still a 10ppm increase. BTW, the markings on the CYA test vial are not linear. So if the dot disappears halfway between 20 and 30, you are closer to 30 than 20. Make sense?

Thank you both!

CYA vial readings - I didn't realize that. Now I know!

OK about raising CYA by 10 ppm. On it asap...

Filter - I have opened and cleaned it about 4 weeks ago, so I will leave it as it is.

I take it that you'll see me making some progress.. I'll power on now

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello! This is where I am at:

CYA: Holding at 40. I didn't attempt to raise any further
FC: Targeting 16. I had to add 10% bleach about 3 hours ago as FC was down to 10. But when I tested a minute ago, FC has held at 16, over this 3 hour period, so I have not added any more bleach.

Water is looking clear (and tempting).

Planning to wait till the morning and test for FC, CYA and CC

I'll leave CYA at 40 till SLAM is complete

I managed to test and adjust for FC the times today... Is that acceptable? Or should I be testing/responding even more often. I'm wondering if my not being able to test often enough is causing this effort to drag on.

3 or 4 times a day is good. Are you brushing daily?

Get in the pool! It is safe to swim with FC between minimum and shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. We swam every day during a SLAM last summer with CYA 70 and FC 28.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support