FC 8. All the way down to 8 from my target of 16
CC 2
Water is looking clear. Can't spot signs of algae

Action:
Adding10% bleach to target FC 16
Guess I'm not brushing consistently enough

Planning to swim in 12 hours time

Still not passing the OCLT..

FC is reading at 12 at the start of the day, when I am targeting 16.
CC close to 0.5
Water is looking clear. No sign of algae

I've been brushing and vacuuming. Pump running 24 hours a day since I started last week. Backwashed yesterday.

We also swam on Sat and Sunday

Temp have been going as high as 100 around here

Maybe there's something I'm not doing quite right? I'll keep on the SLAM, targeting 16

you are doing it exactly right :) once it starts getting clear you have more to go, remember every pool is different and may just take longer...

All the sudden you will pass and look at your pool water and go "WOW" it is so clear :)

Yep, definitely hot around here and need to do some swimming! When is the last time the DE filter got broken down and cleaned? Could be some yuck hanging out in there. What about a ladder, light or other hiding places? I like to get a small hand held brush when I am in the pool and scrub around all the nooks and crannies.

More here on your DE filter, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

I cleaned around the lights so I consider that to be less likely. Will work on the lights again tomorrow.

The filter was last opened and cleaned 5 weeks ago but I think this is the most likely problem area.
I'll open it first thing Monday morning.

Got my hopes up on this now. Will clean the filter, target 16 FC through Monday, and share an update on Tuesday a.m.

Thank you all for the guidance

Welcome, fellow Plano-ite!

You're gonna love your pool very soon!
You 'll soon be in charge of it, and pool care will be very easy.
You 'll have to give it 3 minutes of your time everyday. If so, you should never see algae again.
I was in your shoes 3 months ago.
I said goodbye to our pool
guy, and took the controls, and my pool sparkles everyday.
Welcome aboard!

7snorkel, thanks very much for writing in and sharing your experience.

I'll confess I gave up on Tuesday morning after not being able to pass the OCLT.

Encouraged by your post, I am now set to try again. Marion Paroo, pooldv, cowboycasey - I'm going to start afresh... You'll must have wondered about my silence

Stocked up on set 41 - 50 gallon bottles of 10% bleach. DE filter has been opened and cleaned on Jul-4.

I'll work with CYA 40 and FC 16.

Thanks all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back with an update... and very close to ending this post
I've had the benefit of your guidance during my first SLAM over the past month - Thank You!

I (and more importantly the kids and the missus) are delighted with the pool. I passed the OCLT after pursuing the SLAM for 2 more days

Current numbers:
FC 5.5
TA 80
CH 325 (Red for calcium)
CYA 45
PH between 7.5 to 7.8

My current numbers above seem close to the recommended levels (below that are listed in http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

FC 3-7
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 250-350
CYA 30-50

MarionParoo - you had previously suggested maintaining CYA at 60, given I live in the DFW area.
  • Should my next step be to move CYA upto 60?
  • Should I work on CH at all? There definitely are Calcium related white deposits along pool side walls

Cheers!

Definitely keep CYA at 60. Your CH number is fine.

Glad the pool is good! :thumleft:

Time for lesson 2: CSI
Our water has a tendency to scale. You probably noticed in coffee pots, shower heads and elsewhere. Same in the pool. Here is how to control it and make sure it is not a problem. Enter all your test results into PoolMath and it will give you a CSI score. Keep this number between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale. Tweak PH, TA and CH if needed to adjust the number.

To try to gently get rid of existing scale drop the CSI to -0.8 to -0.9 to make the water a little more aggressive and brush the affected areas. If there are bad spots you can sand them with wet/dry sandpaper to smooth them. If the plaster is a year old or more you can get a stainless steel brush to brush more aggressively. You can also put dry acid in a sock and rub it on scale spots to dissolve it.

Once you are happy with the existing scale you can resume keeping CSI at -0.3 to 0 to prevent future scale.