TF-100 Chemical Kit(hardiness" ) over 1 year old. "should I trust the results and other questions.

sterfry1988

Jun 22, 2018
Austin, TX
I have had my TF-100 kit since March of 2019. I sold a my house end of 2019 and just built a new pool(Updated sig with details). I was just doing my tests and noticed a couple things.

1. My R-0870 powder was a giant clump ( I saw the tips said it should still be effective)
2. The tests that said the water should turn red e.g TA and CH were more like a pink not red.

The results of my tests were no Chorline( my r-0600 confirmed that there was no presence of chorline), it was hard to tell when the water turned clear but I kept adding R-0871 and the solution never really turned completely clear.
My CYA was ~50 (again hard to tell), TA was 50 and PH was dark red so I am assuming >8.0, the CH was 250

I added some(69oz is what the app recommended) 10% bleach but have now read that I should take care of the PH first.

My pool builder told me that the pebbletech will cause the PH to raise and be volatile for awhile it does seem to climb needing muratic acid weekly.

So should I test the results of the kit right now? Should I order replacement chemicals. The kit did go through a move during summer time and was exposed to higher heat/humidity.

My last pool was ~30 years old seemed a bit less volatile, What should I be expecting right now. The pool was finished early feb and I am not getting back into the swing of things.

Lastly I read conflicting info on TA. the TF-100 kit says I should target 100-120ppm. My builder said 80-120ppm Other info on the forum says I should just worry about PH for now, but I don't know how having a new pool affects this advice.

TIA

pH should be OK to test. The R0870 powder goes bad so I would not use that. The OTO (yellow TC indicator) will tell you if you have chlorine in the pool or not.

I found that one of the little "anti-moisture packets" that come in some prescription bottles fits nicely in the little tub of R0870 powder and it stops the clumping altogether. FWIW. Also, since I tend to be "slightly" OCD ;), I now have one pill bottle completely full of them. lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.