Texas sun burning 3 FC per day

Sep 24, 2016
Dallas, Texas
Hello all, TFPC methods have been working great for me since I first posted a few months ago. However now we are in full summer season and the pool cannot be left alone. Its about 1 Gal of bleach to raise FC by 3 points but then daytime sun burns all of that off. So a gallon per day is consumed. Is this my life now?

I've got CYA at 55 and keeping FC between 6-8 by the way.

Anyhow, I have grown jealous of our SWG friends. Seems the grass is greener for those folks. Less ongoing cost, less maintenance, can take vacations, etc. Is there any downside? Why doesn't everyone in the south switch to SWG? Yes there's the big upfront cost, but I'll be spending $300-400 on chlorine alone in a year and my time is worth something.

I'm also about to go on vacation for 2 weeks. Either I annoy one of my friends and make them come over frequently to dump bleach/LC or I switch back to pucks and risk CYA increase. Either way I have a feeling that I'll end up with issues and SLAMing when I get back.

So whats the verdict about SWCGs? Costly failures there as well? What else should I know? Any particular model/brand thats best? And yes I have been cruising the site on the topic finding these pros and cons:

Pros (vs bleach)

• Convenience - no carrying bottles of bleach
  • Missing a day isn't a problem
  • Less likely to have problems which require SLAMing the pool
  • Improved water feel (from salt, which can be used without a SWG)

Cons (vs bleach)

• Most of the cost is paid up front to buy the unit
  • It is more difficult to SLAM the pool due to the higher CYA level
  • In rare cases you may need to run the pump longer, or at a higher speed, to produce enough chlorine
  • A (very) few people object to the taste of salt in the water

Hello all, TFPC methods have been working great for me since I first posted a few months ago. However now we are in full summer season and the pool cannot be left alone. Its about 1 Gal of bleach to raise FC by 3 points but then daytime sun burns all of that off. So a gallon per day is consumed. Is this my life now?

I'm calculating about 1/2 jug of 8.5% bleach for 3 ppm. Maybe your pool size is incorrect? You could also consider a Stenner pump to inject your daily FC. It is cheaper than the SWG and it is an easy DIY.

HTH

I would have thought for your area and summer that 3FC would be fairly normal -but I'm not a local.

Where I live in Australia we have 90-100 nearly every day in Summer and with a SWG I run about 80 CYA. I still go through upwards of 3-4 FC a day.

If your testing your CYA at 55 you should round up and run your pool at 60. Is there anything abnormal about your FC loss this year compared to previous years and how does your water look?

I swear by my SWG and if it broke down I would be more or less replacing it immediately. They are hugely convenient and once you key them in to where you want them, they run more or less by themselves. If you size the SWG correctly for your pool (best to go with x2 the recommended size for your pool volume) then you'll never look back.

But hey you've obviously done your research well and there is the upfront cost and cost of replacement cells which will probably need replacing every few years (the main disadvantages IMO).

You could also consider a Stenner pump to inject your daily FC. It is cheaper than the SWG and it is an easy DIY.
HTH

That sounds interesting. Ill have to do a little research there.

I would have thought for your area and summer that 3FC would be fairly normal -but I'm not a local.
If your testing your CYA at 55 you should round up and run your pool at 60. Is there anything abnormal about your FC loss this year compared to previous years and how does your water look?

I swear by my SWG and if it broke down I would be more or less replacing it immediately. They are hugely convenient and once you key them in to where you want them, they run more or less by themselves. If you size the SWG correctly for your pool (best to go with x2 the recommended size for your pool volume) then you'll never look back.

But hey you've obviously done your research well and there is the upfront cost and cost of replacement cells which will probably need replacing every few years (the main disadvantages IMO).

I'm a new pool owner so I didn't know what normal FC burn off would be for my area either! So yeah, can't compare to last year and water is perfectly clear, no CCs, and passing OCLT.

Glad to hear you're adamant about your SWG.

I'm in Texas too - that much FC loss is normal for me. I, actually thinking about upping my CYA to 70, even Though it's not generally recommended. But our pool is in direct sun and adding a gallon of bleach per day gets pricey. I'm trying to find the happy medium.

I think the biggest con for SWG is having to replace the cells every few years at about $700 - $1,200 range. Right now that's what's hold me from converting. I just got the liquidator, I'll see how well that works.

Now that's info I needed to know. So if the cells fail every 2 years that's a rough ongoing cost of $500/yr which is more than I'd spend on chlorine. At that point it's just about convenience, which yes is important, but seems like a liquidator / Stenner pump maybe a good answer.

I'm in Texas too - that much FC loss is normal for me. I, actually thinking about upping my CYA to 70, even Though it's not generally recommended. But our pool is in direct sun and adding a gallon of bleach per day gets pricey. I'm trying to find the happy medium.

I service several pools weekly here in San Antonio, TX and the ones that get sun most of the day, I have the CYA @ 70-80 range. With the CYA at this level, each week my target FC is @ 8-12 ppm. By the time of my next visit the FC generally hasn't dropped below the "minimum FC" range. During the hottest summer months (June-Sept) the average chemical usage is @ 1-2 gallons/week of liquid chlorine, one 3-inch chlorine tablet every-other week, and a few ounces of muriatic acid to keep pH in check. Of course this isn't an exact science, so you'll have to play around with the numbers. Bather load & mother nature will of course thrown everything off, but ya just gotta be diligent...always a learning experience.

Regards,
E

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that's info I needed to know. So if the cells fail every 2 years that's a rough ongoing cost of $500/yr which is more than I'd spend on chlorine. At that point it's just about convenience, which yes is important, but seems like a liquidator / Stenner pump maybe a good answer.

I think they last about 3-5 years. Do some research because I am not sure.

Typical SWCG will generate about 10000 hours of chlorine.

Most studies have shown that the cost is a wash - you either pay upfront for a SWCG or over time for liquid chlorine.

Take care.

I service several pools weekly here in San Antonio, TX and the ones that get sun most of the day, I have the CYA @ 70-80 range. With the CYA at this level, each week my target FC is @ 8-12 ppm. By the time of my next visit the FC generally hasn't dropped below the "minimum FC" range. During the hottest summer months (June-Sept) the average chemical usage is @ 1-2 gallons/week of liquid chlorine, one 3-inch chlorine tablet every-other week, and a few ounces of muriatic acid to keep pH in check. Of course this isn't an exact science, so you'll have to play around with the numbers. Bather load & mother nature will of course thrown everything off, but ya just gotta be diligent...always a learning experience.

Regards,
E

Thanks for this info. You just helped me make the decision!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.