Texasfitz

Jul 30, 2022
League City, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! I have been lurking here for about a year and a half. Had a new pool built 2 years ago, and finally made the switch to TFP-style maintenance in the past 6 months. That change finally got my CYA under control. Pool has been great since.

One initial question: my Endless Pools Fastlane came with a sacrificial zinc anode that has deteriorated in the past year since it was installed. It probably needs to be replaced…IF it needs to be in my pool at all. That is my question. As I understand it, anodes are really only needed if you have a saltwater pool. Is there any advantage to have one in a chlorinated pool?

Hello! I have been lurking here for about a year and a half. Had a new pool built 2 years ago, and finally made the switch to TFP-style maintenance in the past 6 months. That change finally got my CYA under control. Pool has been great since.

One initial question: my Endless Pools Fastlane came with a sacrificial zinc anode that has deteriorated in the past year since it was installed. It probably needs to be replaced…IF it needs to be in my pool at all. That is my question. As I understand it, anodes are really only needed if you have a saltwater pool. Is there any advantage to have one in a chlorinated pool?
Welcome to TFP. Just noticed you have a Fusion mineral system as well but you list using LC for chlorination. Have you pulled that mineral cartridge? Just use LC. Also, removing that Fusion system will make it easy to add a saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) in the future. I just added the Jandy AquaPure 1400 and it links to the AquaLink automation. Something to consider for the future.

I do use the mineral cartridge. I may experiment in the future without it, but I am not interested in saltwater at this point. I feel like it is unnecessary complication to my system (and would require relearning balancing).

I do use the mineral cartridge. I may experiment in the future without it, but I am not interested in saltwater at this point. I feel like it is unnecessary complication to my system (and would require relearning balancing).
Soon we'll be approaching a time in Texas where our pools require less maintenance, both physically and chemically. I would use that time before next season to review our Pool Care Basics page and the link below. If you didn't know, mineral carts add copper. Once in the water, the only way to remove copper is by changing the water. Copper levels increase to where you see staining and potentially changes to swimmers hair & nails. Copper is advertised as the greatest thing and it's really not. Cop[per stains are VERY difficult to remove. Be very careful about its continued use.

Pools need chlorine everyday for proper sanitation, and they typically get them from either liquid chlorine or a salt generator. People who use tab feeders for picks can only use them for a short time before their CYA level gets too high. It is TFP's intention to ensure pool owners are fully informed of options and the effects of any chemical or product. If you have any questions let us know.

Reactions: HermanTX
I would still kill the mineral cartridge. The "minerals" are really copper and silver. While those can kill algae, google copper staining and silver staining on here and you will understand why they are not recommended on here.

I do not have one, but have seen several threads where people have either used a dummy cartridge, or taken apart their current cartridge to remove the copper and silver so they do not have to worry about the staining, but can leave their equipment/plumbing in place.

Is there any advantage to have one in a chlorinated pool?
A "saltwater" pool is still sanitized using chlorine. The chlorine is simply generated onsite instead of bought at the store. By the same token, after a short time a "chlorine" pool also has a significant amount of salt in the water.

I am not interested in saltwater at this point. I feel like it is unnecessary complication to my system (and would require relearning balancing).
A SWG greatly simplifies pool maintenance. The chemistry is just as easy.

All we can do is make recommendations based on personal knowledge and science. As seen in the numerous responses that mineral cartridges can cause more issues long term. Suggest you research other threads on this forum regarding issues with copper.

For clarity - a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG) does just that - makes chlorine for your pool. Chlorine is chlorine whether you add it via pouring liquid chlorine or make it via SWCG. There is no difference how to balance the chemistry in your pool.

I used liquid chlorine for years and decided to switch to a SWCG recently. Prior to making the changeover, I tested my pool for Salt - it was 2600ppm. All from adding LC over time. Prior to starting up my SWCG, I added just over a bag of salt to meet the requirements of my SWCG - that is now 3000ppm. So really no difference in what is classified as a salt pool. My FC is exactly the same.

I appreciate the inputs. It matches everything I have read on this forum (and I have read all of the articles relevant to my pool). I am not interested in spending money to switch to salt water when chlorine works for me. I am happy you like SWG better, but I do not want it right now.
As for the mineral cartridge, I have my eyes open and am evaluating. I have heard your recommendations.
It is interesting how few answers I got to my question, and how many unrelated replies I have received.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is interesting how few answers I got to my question, and how many unrelated replies I have received.
As Jim noted in Post #2, anodes are overrated in residential pools and have very little significance. There are many explanations here by some of our staff and we'd be happy to get them involved if you need more specifics.

As for the "unrelated" answers ... well..... yes, a few replies went down the sanitation road, but for good reason. It's probably the #1 reason most people come to TFP. Most new pool owners have absolutely no idea how troublesome some sanitation devices can be. Naturally many members and staff feel obligated to advise, but with good intent. In the end however, it's your pool and you will chose whichever option you wish.

If you need more info about anodes, let us know.

It is interesting how few answers I got to my question
Your question was answered in the second post.

and how many unrelated replies I have received.
Hopefully you view that as a good thing. This is a great community of people passionate about pools, and we try to help whenever and wherever possible.

Reactions: HermanTX and JJ_Tex
Here ya go !!! Click 👇

Why do I need an anode

tldr : if you have 2 dissimilar metals submerged they will basically create a battery and corrode the 'negative' terminal of the battery.

So you need a more active 3rd metal (sacrificial anode) to protect the one that was going to rust.

Nowhere in your pool do you have dissimilar metals touching. But because anodes work in certain situations, folks who didn't know better started using them in the wrong situations.

In regards to the mineral system, I wish to apologize to you. We have 15 years of posts from 1/3 million members and every last one has failed in the long term. If anyone successfully made them work, they'd be back here bragging and jumping up and down how they were right. So far, just thousands of folks that eventually came back with the same poor results, looking to switch after they saw it for themselves.

We know that, but you're new and haven't come to understand the collective knowledge here yet. Everybody is just trying to bring you up to speed and help you avoid any pitfalls. To the Newb, sometimes that makes us seem a bit overzealous. Please understand that total internet strangers are entirely concerned on your behalf and unlike anywhere else you may go, they have nothing to sell you but goodwill. When the manufacturer or sales desk touts all the wonders of a product, notsomuch.

Reactions: pjt and HermanTX