Texas freeze pool protection

SwimmingBevo

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hi all,

A serious freeze is hitting Texas this weekend...like the coldest since 1980 or so. Single digits and freeze for likely 24 hours plus...my freeze control is working great now and switching between pool and spa.

Questions:

1. I typically run my water shears for 30 minutes a day just to cycle water through it. Should I increase this to four times a day this weekend? Good idea or bad idea?

2. I have a glacier chiller. Anything I should worry about with it?

Appreciate any feedback.

Hey guys and sorry for the impromptu education yall are searching for. There are many threads going in Everything Else
Bevo :
1) absolutely yes its a good idea. You cannot increase the run time too much. Excuse me. *ahem* IMHO, the electric cost of running it for a full week straight is far less than the risks and costs of fixing said risks if they were to happen.

2) I'm not familiar with chillers but as long as the water is moving through it like it would in a heater, it will be fine.

Reactions: SwimmingBevo
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and turned the water features on and will run them until the freeze is over (Tuesday).

My biggest question is the chiller...it looks like it may have another pump? It would sound crazy to run a chiller in a freeze....so not sure on that one.

My biggest question is the chiller...it looks like it may have another pump? It would sound crazy to run a chiller in a freeze....so not sure on that one
So im pretty sure its very similar in plumbing to a heat pump. My heat pump allowed me to have it on, and have water moving through it without it running. I imagine it would have a similar threshold where it doesn't engage/turn on until a certain warm temp. It certainly wouldn't need to 'chill water in the 30s, right ? Or can you run the secondary pump without power to the chiller ? Somebody who knows them better will be along at some point.

Reactions: SwimmingBevo
Hi all,

A serious freeze is hitting Texas this weekend...like the coldest since 1980 or so. Single digits and freeze for likely 24 hours plus...my freeze control is working great now and switching between pool and spa.

Questions:

1. I typically run my water shears for 30 minutes a day just to cycle water through it. Should I increase this to four times a day this weekend? Good idea or bad idea?

2. I have a glacier chiller. Anything I should worry about with it?

Appreciate any feedback.
Sorry, I don't have answers to your questions, but if you don't mind I ask about your freeze protection going from pool and spa. Mine is not doing that. My pool tech said it should be going back and forth like yours. I then started to research and saw this...see picture attached where it said Caution..

I am confused on what it supposed to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213-153408_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-153408_Samsung Internet.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 15
I have Pentair. Not sure what that message is...have you manually turned on the spa? It appears if you do freeze protection turns off according to that. I don’t touch anything...it just seems to rotate about every thirty minutes from pool to spa.

My pool is already 39 degrees. Not sure what will happen when it hits single digits in weather Sunday night. Seriously thinking about trying to drain pump and filters and turn it off tomorrow.

I have Pentair. Not sure what that message is...have you manually turned on the spa? It appears if you do freeze protection turns off according to that. I don’t touch anything...it just seems to rotate about every thirty minutes from pool to spa.

My pool is already 39 degrees. Not sure what will happen when it hits single digits in weather Sunday night. Seriously thinking about trying to drain pump and filters and turn it off tomorrow.
No, I don't manually do anything. I control everything from my iaqualink. My pool tech said that it should rotate automatically like you said, but I'm watching it all day and it has not. Hmm.

No, I don't manually do anything. I control everything from my iaqualink. My pool tech said that it should rotate automatically like you said, but I'm watching it all day and it has not. Hmm.

I know spas use air bubblers which don’t activate during freeze protection...might be a stupid thought, but it did confuse me last year when freeze protection was on...if you can see the water moving around the spa that would be good. I’m also ramping up my RPMs to make sure water is moving fast enough not to freeze, especially tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.