Texas Freeze Damage & Insurance

I have found out with Allstate that you need to specifically cover pool equipment and/or pool damage. Under my current policy, the policy language state that insureds must have taken reasonable care to mitigate the damage. So Allstate is taking this as a case by case issue for damage during the recent freeze. While I did not have damage, I did enquiry what would be my coverage should it happen. Now I need to make a decision for the future when my policy renews.

Some of the 1 yr home warranty policies you get when you purchase a home (pd by the seller) can cover pool equipment if you specifically request that to be added to the household item coverage. However for your homeowners policy to cover the equipment and pool you need a separate endorsement for it. The cost will vary based on how much insurance you carry, your deductible amount, etc.

Reactions: NewToPools_Texas
I lived in Houston and owned a house for a couple years and when there was a freeze warning, I took the initiative to protect my house from freezing.
Honestly, I’m a bit on the fence here. A big part of me says that many people knew that the cold was coming. Then they lost their power and it was freezing but did nothing to protect their house or their pool from freeze damage, they just let it happen. In that sense I’m not sure it’s the insurance companies responsiblity to pay just because they didn’t do anything and it froze and broke. Home owners knew the cold was coming. The power loss was unexpected but they still had time to deal with their issue before the water actually froze. Loosing power was unexpected for sure. But power only does so much for so long unless you have a heater. Power in a house would provide some heat to help protect it.
For insurance coverage, I do think it’s a case by case analysis on what the home owner did and what they could’ve done to decide if they should be covered or not. Honestly I think many people will be disappointed when they are told they should have done something and won’t be covered.

Reactions: Pool_Medic
I get what you are saying, but for the most part, there is not much you can do with the situation that happened. The houses just aren't built in the south for that kind of weather, and on top of it, a lot of people lost both power and water. I'm in the insurance business and the houses in each part of the country are built so differently.
The problem generally with pool coverage, is not that people were supposed to mitigate the damage, but that most policies exclude coverages for pool specifically. The broadest coverage on the policy will be for the home itself.

Reactions: NewToPools_Texas
I had a nice chat with my Allstate agent in which it was stated that Allstate was taking the position to exceed the needs of what was damaged. They did not challenge what could have been done to prevent damage because every situation is different. Also, some had no power, some had rolling power, etc. Families with young children, newborns, pets, etc. where clearly more concerned for the wellbeing of those family members, having milk, basic food and water whereas pool priorities were way down that list. So it appears, based on the feedback I received, that Allstate, and possibly other insurance companies, where taking a very comforting approach to help in this time of need.

I lived in Houston and owned a house for a couple years and when there was a freeze warning, I took the initiative to protect my house from freezing.
Honestly, I’m a bit on the fence here. A big part of me says that many people knew that the cold was coming. Then they lost their power and it was freezing but did nothing to protect their house or their pool from freeze damage, they just let it happen. In that sense I’m not sure it’s the insurance companies responsiblity to pay just because they didn’t do anything and it froze and broke. Home owners knew the cold was coming. The power loss was unexpected but they still had time to deal with their issue before the water actually froze. Loosing power was unexpected for sure. But power only does so much for so long unless you have a heater. Power in a house would provide some heat to help protect it.
For insurance coverage, I do think it’s a case by case analysis on what the home owner did and what they could’ve done to decide if they should be covered or not. Honestly I think many people will be disappointed when they are told they should have done something and won’t be covered.
People were relying on freeze protection and no one expected a sustained power loss. By the time that occurred, families were focused on other life safety and definitely prioritized the home. People didn't see this coming and most don't know how to drain the system. The amount of damage was unreal ... people drip pipes or drain lines in the home, but the pool became a different story and covers and plugs were frozen shut. It's simply not the same as protecting interior pipes when the pool equipment was iced shut from the outside preventing draining.

Reactions: zz28zz
I get what you are saying, but for the most part, there is not much you can do with the situation that happened. The houses just aren't built in the south for that kind of weather, and on top of it, a lot of people lost both power and water. I'm in the insurance business and the houses in each part of the country are built so differently.
The problem generally with pool coverage, is not that people were supposed to mitigate the damage, but that most policies exclude coverages for pool specifically. The broadest coverage on the policy will be for the home itself.
Agreed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It wasn't just the cold.

Were were told blackouts would last 15 to 40 mins max. After an hour of no power, no internet, no TV, no cell service, near 0 degs outside and no idea when power would return, we quickly realized that priorities had to be focused on saving life and high-value property.

In central Tx, we got over 1/2" of ice before before it got really cold and power went out. Just going outside was a gamble. Had a few elderly that ventured outside, slipped/fell, couldn't get up, froze to death. Large trees and limbs falling everywhere. Tree limbs coming thru roofs and windows. Some power lines down. Roads blocked in some neighborhoods. I spent 45 mins rigging up my portable genrator to get the central heat (propane) and lights back on. Another 10 mins or so getting propane/kerosene heaters going in the shop (to protect boat) and well house. Went to the pool equip next and by time I chiseled away the ice from the drain plug, it was too late.

We were covered by home ins, but deductable was $6k. Estimate was ~$7500. Looks like I may be back up for a fraction of that doing it myself.
If we ever get a forecast like that again, I'll be draining the equip well in adv for sure. Blackouts or no blackouts.

Just got off the phone with pool equip rep. He said 600,000 pools are down in Texas now. WOW!

Make that 600,001. Texas Farm Bureau said to bring in our receipts and photos. TFB said they don't have "freeze issues" in their policies because it is unprecedented here. So there is a chance there to be reimbursed. The landscaping will cost thousands to replace and is not covered in our policy. We saved the broken pool parts, equipment and have photos of everything. Of course, the deductible comes into play. The thing is, our equipment was working fine until the power turned off around 1 am. No one knew the power was going to be randomly shut down to "save" electricity. When we woke up after 4 hours we had solid ice in our pipes, there wasn't a snowball's chance in he77 we would be able to drain the pipes. Here we are with 68 "state of the art" solar panels, and not a smidgeon of juice.

Our problem was the pool equipment. Many people had it 1000 times worse without electricity in their house.. flooding, no heat, too cold, and spoiled food.. ugh. I'd rather see FEMA help those people. My neighbor said her house got down to 42 degrees. We feel soooo blessed ours was only the pool.

< stepping down off my soap box. sorry for the rant.> I'm only awake because of the SLAM. :rant:

Hello,
I'm curious to know if ANY insurance companies covered the pool equipment damage as part of their insurance policy? (e.g. other perils / pools, etc.) If so, can you share what insurance company you had? Thanks!
We have Nationwide and they called yesterday to say they will cover no freezing of concrete or the pool - we have two house and two auto policies with them 7000 a year in premiums and have been with them about 15 years. I specifically mentioned covering pool when we took this coverage 6 years ago. Very disappointing. On the positive side we knew very early what pump part broke and ordered within days of the freeze - repaired ourselves for 600 and pump is working - pool deck etc sustained about 10000 worth of damage snd is completely connected to our home in Ft Worth so will have to be repaired. I would like to move to new carrier to avoid issue in the future - suggestion on carriers that actually cover pool damage caused by freezing? Thanks.

Reactions: HermanTX
This comes off as arm chair quarterbacking. Easy to say, in reality, situation for everyone isn't this cut 'n dry. I could easy say, Texas knew this was a problem since 2011,What Texas failed to learn from the 2011 freeze, and the state did nothing, how do you expect owners to do somethin? In my situation, I was out of town, all flights cancelled and no way to get back to do any house or pool freeze mitigation. Calling someone and asking them to drive through snow and ice in central texas isn't a reality either. It was 30f in the house, everything froze. Mitigating this when all heaters are sold out, all generators are sold out, out of town, I couldn't even drip the line as the city shut down water pressure. Now I'm dealing with supply chain issues, it's May, and the pool it still empty.

This comes off as arm chair quarterbacking. Easy to say, in reality, situation for everyone isn't this cut 'n dry.
I lived down there for a couple of years and had to protect my house pipes from freezing a couple of times. I’ll also say that as a homeowner I took the initiative to protect my house. Maybe it’s because I’m from the NorthEast and have had to deal with freezing weather all my life. I know that if you leave the garden hose hooked up outside the house you can freeze the pipe inside the house and spray water everywhere. If a storm is coming in, we fill the tub with water so we can flush the toilet when the power goes out. Notice I didn’t say IF the power went out, I said WHEN the power went out.
If I knew the house didn’t have any heat or the pool didn’t have electricity, I would go drain the systems as best I could so I didn’t burst my pipes. But that’s just me I guess, not everybody thinks the same.

Reactions: HermanTX
For AllState, I had all my equipment covered, including pool light. Here is AllState's stance on this: https://www.allstate.com/tr/home-insurance/swimming-pool-insurance.aspx
Hi SpongeBob, I also have Allstate and recently my pool came back to life after February 2021 TX Winter/Ice storm. It took a while to get on pool builders schedule to re-plaster the pool and install new equipments. Allstate approved my other filtering equipments (filter, pump, plumbing etc) but recently they denied pool and spa lights from contractor's supplemental work estimate. I had back and forth with the adjuster and I provided pictures since he asked for the proof. He claims they are not damaged to light since there is no visible broken glass or any other damage and he claimed that they may have not worked before. I explained it to him that my pool was covered with thick 9" ice sheet for a week and ice sheet created a pressure and water may have leaked inside lights. I live in north TX so it was very cold and below freezing for 5 days and we lost electricity for two days. The pool technician told me that there is a black film inside the pool light glass and that mean dirty water got inside due to lot of pressure from ice sheet weight and damaged it.
My Questions: (1) Did you have hard time with claim adjuster to get approval for pool light, (2) What was your explanation to adjuster for light damaged due to ice storm? My adjuster wants me to provide proof that lights were damaged by ice storm and I told him what technician told me. I thank you in advance for your advise/guidance.

Your stories about houses freezing make me nervous because I bought a house in Alaska. The pool is out of the question, but I can only imagine how many issues I will have to discuss. I hope that the worse the weather in the state, the more opportunities for homeowners to choose a profitable insurance policy. I received prior advice about the services of Homeowner Insurance in Vermont. If there is anyone here who has current insurance information here, I would appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.