Texas Bugs

It really weird. We have more weeds now then good grass growing. Also, we had a huge population of lizards and we found many just frozen in the debris we picked out of the gardens. We are slowly seeing more of them as it has become warmer in mid-March but definitely hurt the population. We have also seen a decline in doves as several had nests prior to the freeze. We seen a couple of babies but not near as many from last year. Same for squirrels. Now for the nasties, we have not noticed an increase in ants or roaches so that is good thus far. Can't comment on mosquitoes yet but hope for the a mild population.

I went hunting last weekend, and no bugs, which is really rare for my son to not get any mosquito bites. With that said, it is still early and I expect they will make an appearance this summer.

Ever watched one of those Alaskan shows filmed during the summer? We don't have nearly the quantity or size bugs here in the deep south as they have, so No, the bugs aren't killed by the cold! :eek:
I really wish they were though!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bought a big canister of Amdro at Costco today. The latest version of Scotts Bonus S now includes fireant preventer. It does help. Home Depot used to sell a bag of fireant preventer in a silver bag (don't remember the brand) that really worked. As long as you put it down every 3 months or so.

Dichondra (half-dollar weed) is friggen taking over. I think I need to re-sod a section of my lawn to get rid of it! At least it is green.

All my citrus were killed. This is not a bad thing, as I wanted to "move" them to a different part of the yard and replace them with red-bud and more crepe-myrtle. This will give me a reason to actually do it.

Swatted my first mosquito today.😬 Some of our landscaping that I thought was gone for sure is starting to show signs of life, with new growth sprouting. My lawn, which was just sodded last spring, is also starting to green up, so maybe more plants will survive.

Soooo I was wondering during y'alls major MAJOR frozen time there in my beloved Tejas if the freeze killed the bugs? Is it too soon to recognize any change yet?
🪳🦗🧚‍♀️🕷️🐜🪰🐞🐛🦋🕷️🦗🪲🪳🦟

The mosquito crop will be delayed, but they'll be back. I started having a bad wasp problem at the end of summer last year, and as of this past weekend they are already out and aggressively building new nests anywhere they can find. Also- a few days ago, there were almost a dozen dead mole crickets in my skimmer. I've never seen that before.

there were almost a dozen dead mole crickets in my skimmer. I've never seen that before.
Ugggh. I hate those things. I saw one "swimming" yesterday. Kill them! With Fire!

I have mine "open" to swim at night, with the lights on. The June bugs are seeing the "pool open" sign and jumping in. I scooped about 50 of those buggers and it had been only an hour.

Ugggh. I hate those things. I saw one "swimming" yesterday. Kill them! With Fire!

I have mine "open" to swim at night, with the lights on. The June bugs are seeing the "pool open" sign and jumping in. I scooped about 50 of those buggers and it had been only an hour.
I'm definitely not open yet. No heater, and I lost some plumbing and my ancient tablet feeder with the freeze/electrical outage and am going through the process of converting to a SWG. Equipment is all installed and the Hayward rep is supposed to come configure it with my existing OmniLogic setup any day now. Not a big hurry, as I'm still getting the chemistry back in shape after a month of no circulation, adding the salt and CYA, etc...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.