Testing pool for the first time using legit TFT 100 pro— thoughts on what to do next

caitym

Apr 10, 2024
Auburn, Ca
I have the app and read through the pool school, but I want to be sure. I seem to have a hard time determining the color of the 7.8 ph vs 7.5. I haven’t reinstalled the salt cell, so I’m using liquid chlorine. I have a fiberglass 14,500 gallon pool btw!
FC- 2
PH- 7.8
TA- 80
CH- 275
CYA- followed directions to a T and filled whole tube and still saw the black dot. So under 20?

Do not commiserate over whether the pH is 7.5 or 7.8. Only real concern is if it is 8 or above, so violet/purple tones. Or below 7, or yellow tones.

Have you added any CYA/Stabilizer? If not, add 30 ppm worth.

C,

Without any CYA, your FC will disappear faster than a hunk of meat in front of a hungry dog.. :mrgreen:

I suggest that you add 30 ppm of CYA, for now..

Once your CYA comes up, I would get your FC up to 5 ppm.

Install the SWCG and the slowly bring your CYA up to 60 or 70..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
I seem to have a hard time determining the color of the 7.8 ph vs 7.5.

Two additional techniques:

1. Try holding the block sideways or upside down. Sometimes that helps distinguish colors better. I also use two old hotel keycards to mask off areas and narrow down my decision.

2. To get a consistent backlight, hold the block in front of your computer monitor with a blank white screen displayed (I use Google's homepage).

Reactions: caitym
C,

Without any CYA, your FC will disappear faster than a hunk of meat in front of a hungry dog.. :mrgreen:

I suggest that you add 30 ppm of CYA, for now..

Once your CYA comes up, I would get your FC up to 5 ppm.

Install the SWCG and the slowly bring your CYA up to 60 or 70..

Thanks,

Jim R.
What’s weird is that I added 2/3 of a gallon of liquid conditioner stablizer last week when I used my older kit to determine cya. I’m shocked nothing is registering.

Do not commiserate over whether the pH is 7.5 or 7.8. Only real concern is if it is 8 or above, so violet/purple tones. Or below 7, or yellow tones.

Have you added any CYA/Stabilizer? If not, add 30 ppm worth.
That’s good to know! Thank you! I added a 2/3 gallon of liquid stabilizer a week ago based on my old kit results. I’m surprised it didn’t bring it up at all.

Not enough to get to 30. And using a part bottle of that stuff normally gives you less than you expect. Dump the rest in and clean out the bottle well.

Outdoors towards the sky with a bright cloud in the background or a brightly lit white molding on the home exterior or even a outdoor white seat cushion will make the different shades jump out at you.