Tested the neighbors pool

Mar 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I tested the neighbors pool as he asked my son to watch it for the weekend so that it didn’t turn green from all the falling leaves. He has a pool service so I’m sure he has no idea what the chemicals are. Since I take care of my own pool using the methodology TFP, Looking at somebody else’s chemical composition from a service provider is like going to a different planet.

His chlorine at 16 and PH 7.5 did not seem bad. CYA is north of 200 and calcium is around 1000. Total alkalinity was 140. When I put this into the online pool calculator it said CSI was .41 I believe. This is below .6 which it says above causes problems. But these numbers are so crazy high compared to what I have in my pool I thought I would ask for some insight from the group. Is this fine because it’s within bounds on CSI? He is using some kind of tabs for chlorine and definitely not a saltwater generator. I feel like these pool services don’t really care about whether or not they are doing long-term damage to your plaster or not. By the way it is an inground plaster pool.

Thanks!!

Is this fine because it’s within bounds on CSI?
Sort of. The pH (kept under control by the use of acidic tablets) is keeping the CSI lower. But I suspect the water line has some scale, and anywhere the water evaporates from is scaled. Also, one small variation in pH, and the pool scales up. A heater for instance could be very problematic.

The pool would also be really uncomfortable to swim in, especially compared to a TFPC pool.

Sort of. The pH (kept under control by the use of acidic tablets) is keeping the CSI lower. But I suspect the water line has some scale, and anywhere the water evaporates from is scaled. Also, one small variation in pH, and the pool scales up. A heater for instance could be very problematic.

The pool would also be really uncomfortable to swim in, especially compared to a TFPC pool.
Thanks for the explanation. This stuff is so complicated. What would be the perceived difference in feel vs my TFPC pool?

Typical public pool feel. Sticky when you get out, stinky water, drying out your skin (fingertips wrinkle), irritated eyes, etc.

When you get out of a TFPC pool, it should feel like you just took a shower. When you get out of a improperly managed pool, it feels like you need to take a shower.

Reactions: slickrock22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.