Apr 2, 2007
NJ
I just tested the water and here are the results:

FC 9.5
TC 9.5
T/A 70
pH 7.0
CYA over 100

I'm aware of the high CYA but we decided to keep the FC on the high side until we get a chance to drain and refill. My concern is the T/A. I'm pretty certain I need to add baking soda but the pool calc. gave me 2 numbers-313 oz and 250 oz. I'm not sure how to use the calc. but I just saw different numbers for weight and volume. SO I just need confirmation on the proper amounts. And is there anything else I should be concerned with? Thanks!

I just read JasonLion's stickie about what to test for and why. He mentioned that pools with water features could have a T/A of 70-90. We have 4 deck jets we use often. Is our T/A of 70 OK?

Yes. When you have a source of "aeration" (bubbles) your TA should be lower. High TA with a source of Aeration will cause your ph to rise over time, and you need to watch that for acid demand. 70 is good.

How many gallons is your pool? I did your dimensions on your pool but I don't know your depth. Your gallonage determines the dosage of the baking soda.

maxsrents said:
Thanks for your help. Our pool is 44,500 gallons. Do you mind if I borrow your screename? I'm getting sooo frustrated.

:mrgreen: Sorry, I copyrighted it.... :whip:

64 oz by weight. So at the store, look for the box of baking soda, and those are 'by weight' you need 64 oz, according to the gallonage, and the pool calc.

Take a deep breath. If ph is your ONLY issue, you are SO FAR AHEAD of many folk on here, so you should be jumping (in the pool) for joy.... :goodjob:

Edit ~ the grocery store / Wal-mart....~

Edit again ~ okay, yeah, the CYA is an issue too. That's okay tho, you know what needs to be done.

You do have a good test kit, right?

Carolyn,

1. T/A of 70 is not bad...a little low but nothing to lose sleep over.

2. We cannot help with your calcs because you don't tell us what T/A you were aiming for. (I'd still leave it alone)

3. If you'll put in enough 20 Mule Team Borax to raise you pH to around 7.4, (about 16 lbs) your T/A will come up a little anyway.

4. How does your water look?

I originally thought the T/A should be in the 90-120 range based on the recommendations on the TF-100. But then I read JasonLion's T/A info. and he stated " if you commonly run water features such as a spa, waterfall, or fountain, keep TA on the low side, between 70 and 90". And we have 4 deck jets. So now I'm confused for a change. The water is beautifully clear. What T/A should we be aiming for?

I think you're fine then, use the pool calculator to get your ph to 7.2-7.4 and it will tell you which product to use to achieve that, without raising the TA which is nothing to worry about right now. Aside from the CYA Your numbers are o.k. otherwise...

If you notice your PH and TA are unstable, just post the test results/any questions here....keep this thread going so we can follow along.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.