Test results went wacky...

Pwickens

Jun 22, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
This past week I added 16 oz. of CYA using the sock method for a couple of days, after testing results showed 35ppm, trying to bring it up to 45ppm in my 11,000 gal pool. Today it tested at 25ppm! Checked it twice to confirm. Can anyone tell me how that can happen? Also my CH increased to 625ppm and TA jumped to 130ppm. It has been unseasonably warm...low 100's. Any suggestions?

All of those items do not change with out water exchange (reduction) or chemical additions.

The CYA could be testing variation. This works for me.
Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

The CH is definitely testing variation unless you added calcium. TA can increase due to fill water addition but not that much that quick. Again, check your testing.

Thank you, mknauss-I have been sporadically adding LC, but since the temps have been increasing, it's been daily additions of LC. I added a small amount (10oz) of baking soda, as last weeks test showed it was 90, to increase my TA to 100 as well as LC this week while the CYA was dissolving in my skimmer.
I will try the CYA test method you described. I may be spending more time really looking for that black dot.

No need whatsoever to raise your TA to 100. I suspect you would find it is best at 70 ppm or so. A higher TA just means you get to chase your pH more.

OK. I thought I read somewhere on the TFP that warmer weather can influence a need for a little higher TA. I tested CH and TA again and CH was still at 625 and TA reduced down to 110. I'll bring pH down to 7.2 and ariate to help reduce TA. I also retested CYA based on your suggestions and it came down to 50.
Thanks again, Marty.

Water temperature does not influence the TA level needed.

In fact, a lower TA is better as your CSI goes up in warmer water. With a CH of 625, you need to keep TA and pH lower to keep from scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.