Test pressure for return line/fitting with LED Light?

TKR

Gold Supporter
May 21, 2019
Central NC
I have installed a PAL-2T2 LED light into a standard 1.5" return fitting with a run of about 50' of 1.5" PVC pipe, terminating above water level . What pressure should I use to test this line?

This light screws into the wall fitting and seals against the face of the wall fitting with silicone sealant. My concern is over-pressurizing and blowing out the sealant.

1582799225872.png

Last edited:
TKR,

I am not sure I understand... I assumed this light would be installed in a non-operational return line..

Are you saying this light gets installed in a working return and the water somehow passes through the light?

Please tell us more,

Jim R.

TKR,

I am not sure I understand... I assumed this light would be installed in a non-operational return line..

Are you saying this light gets installed in a working return and the water somehow passes through the light?

Please tell us more,

Jim R.
The line will indeed be a non operational return. I put the wire (70’ of it) through pvc pipe, serving as a conduit that runs through the retaining wall, and then through a trench to the equipment pad. I did “plumb” the pipe same as the other returns but have no plans to use it for return water. ( I suppose it could be repurposed as such, should the need arise)

The pool sits mostly above grade inside a retaining wall. I want to test the pvc/conduit for leaks.

Looking back, I should have pressure tested the line before installing the light. My plan is to tuck the loose end of the wire back into the pipe at the equipment end, then cap it and pressure test.

Last edited:
So.....I decided to test this line at 5 psi.

My thinking was
- the 1.5" PVC return line (used as conduit) needs to be tested watertight but not high pressure
- the seal where the LED housing mates up to the face of the return fitting only needs testing against the static pressure of about 2' of pool water (about 1 PSI)
LED pressure test.png

I left it at 5 psi for over 24 hours. Even a very slow leak would have shown up by then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.