Test kit received I am intimidated - with results

Hello,

OK. I finally got my K-2006C test kit and Speedstir. It is nice. I think I now have everything I need to perform my own tests without relying to the pool store which make me feel great.
But now that I have everything in front of me, I am intimated and I am not sure how to do my setup and how to proceed to have accurate results.

Is it better to be installed inside or outside to perform the tests?
First thing is to collect pool water in a bottle to be used for the tests. From what I read, first tests should be chlorine and pH and proceed with the other tests after.
Should I use the Speedstir for all the tests?

I read many posts about the CYA test. It is a complicated test. It must absolutely be done during the day on a sunny day if I read properly. There is no other way. Now, the question will be see or not see the dot. It is probably my French Canadian origins but I don't understand the glancing thing. Google gave me the definition of a brief look. So if at a point the dot is supposed to be hidden, I should be able to notice a difference with a quick look?

Any other advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. I suppose that completing the first tests sets will take a long time and as I get use to it it will get faster...

Thanks again everybody

All tests but the glance at the dot part of the CYA test should be done inside. Speedstir for FC, CC, TA, CH. And salt when applicable.

The point about the dot is not to stare at the dot waiting for it to disappear. Quick peeks. If you are unsure you can pour the mixed water back into the squirt bottle and repeat.

Reactions: Awp14 and SacDave
Great job on getting the test kit!
I do my tests at my work bench in the garage. Except the CYA which is done outdoors.
Best to do the FC and pH first. Use the Speedstir for FC (powder and reagent), CH, TA.

Read this on the CYA test. Glance is a quick look ---
Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

If you like visual instructions -- take a look at K-2006 Completeâ„¢ Kit with FAS-DPD - YouTube

Reactions: Awp14
Deep breath. Take your time. Follow the instructions. Once you've done it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Post your numbers here and we'll help you figure out if they make sense. Just the fact that you have a proper test kit puts you ahead of most!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be sure to take your sample the right way:
  1. take the top off your bottle
  2. Turn it upside down
  3. Plunge it into the water upside down, up to your elbow
  4. Turn the bottle sideways and let it fill
  5. Bring your full bottle up and cap it
Now you have a clean sample of water to test.

Run your pH test first. It's so easy you'll be surprised. Then run the FC test. Now you're feeling like a chemist. Run all the others, and remember, GO SLOW.

Get a notebook of some kind to write down your results as well as what you did to the pool that day.

Have fun!

Reactions: LFrankow
Ok. Thanks a lot.
So I played with the kit. It is funny. I like it!!! :)

I have results of the test. I am not sure if I can be confident with it as I am not a chemist.
Results is different from the latest test I got from the pool store, mainly for Calcium. They were giving me 193. If my tests are good, I am more around 250.

FC - 6 ppm (25 ml) / 6.5 ppm (10 ml)
CC - 0 ppm (I didn't notice colour change)
pH - 8
TA - 130 ppm (25 ml) / 125 ppm (10 ml)
CH - 250 ppm (10 ml)
CYA - 30 or less

For CYA, I am probably stupid but even with many trial, I was unable to determine it. I followed advice of Marty. It is cloudy but I think that I always see the dot. I don't know what to do with it. I am kind of disappointed that I was unable to get a result. I could put some trichlor pucks in the chlorinator to try to raise CYA level or add some stabilizer in sock but I am hesitant. If I just miss the test, I may get a too high CYA level.

When there is colour change to watch, like for TA and CH, do we need to watch an intensity level of the new colour? Say for TA when there is no more green, do we stop at that point or we should continue and try to get a more intense red? Same question for CH.

Also I rushed to do chlorine and pH tests with the sample. It took time to complete the other tests after because I had to rinse the Speedstir tube between each and read the instructions. Are the results still valid for the other tests?

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:
For all color changing tests: Continue adding drops as long as the color continues changing. The final drop, that does not change the color any further, does not count.

If you still faintly see the dot on the CYA test, add 10 ppm CYA. You can use the CYA granules in a sock or the trichlor tablets to achieve that. Assume you will have 40 ppm CYA for your FC target range.

The water sample does not change over the time frame of doing your tests.

Ok. If I go with the sock and dry stabilizer can we swim while the sock is in the pool in front of return?

Also for the chlorine test, if I do the 10 ml test, is it enough precise to properly maintain the pool?
When doing it, if I use an over full scoop of powder instead of 2 full scoop is it ok?

For my pH should I try lowering it now or I can wait?

Thanks everybody. This forum is addictive.

You can swim while dissolving CYA.

The 10 ml water sample for the FC is sufficient for testing. Use one scoop powder. Each drop of reagent is 0.5ppm FC.

I would suggest lowering your pH to 7.4. Once your TA gets below 100 ppm, then only lower pH to 7.6, when necessary.

Ok. I added 10 ppm of stabilizer with the sock method yesterday. It was easy to do. It is really a great way I didn't know.

I played a lot with testing CYA this afternoon. Now, if I do things properly here is what happen.

If I fill the tube to 40, I can still see and discern the dot somewhat easily but it is cloudy. I don't have to search it, I see it. Somewhere between 30 and 40 (near of 30) I loose the dot and cannot really see it on a quick look. I confirm the same at 30. Is that possible? Does it seems to be OK?

FYI, at this moment, my FC was 6.5 ppm, CC 0 ppm

Toughts?

Yes -- your CYA is between 30 and 40. We suggest you round up to 40 ppm and use that number for your FC range.

Ok. Thanks.
I have a question. I read on the forum that we cannot interpret values between the values of the comparator.

If we go to the store often the CYA value is like 23, 32, 36, ....

Is it because the electronic machines are more precise to interpret the results?

Precise does not mean accurate. The devices the pool store uses puts out precise numbers, that are largely inaccurate.

The CYA test you use is the most accurate there is available to the residential pool owner. Far more accurate than what the pool store uses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.