Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
After reading other responses, I think I need to drain some water to get my CYA levels down before starting anything else? Water is clear, for now.

FC- 6.4
CC - .6
PH - 8+
TA - 120ppm
CH - 240ppm
CYA - 80

I’m sure there is a lot more interpretation of this data to be done but I’m in over my head right now. Water is not green but everything seems way out of balance. I need a strategy going forward. Heading over to pool chemistry articles right now.

*Anyone else manage to lose the little SpeedStir magnet in the pool? Not that it happened or anything...but it could have...

Last edited:
After reading other responses, I think I need to drain some water to get my CYA levels down before starting anything else? Water is clear, for now.

FC- 6.4
CC - .6
PH - 8+
TA - 120ppm
CH - 240ppm
CYA - 80

I’m sure there is a lot more interpretation of this data to be done but I’m in over my head right now. Water is not green but everything seems way out of balance. I need a strategy going forward. Heading over to pool chemistry articles right now.

*Anyone else manage to lose the little SpeedStir magnate in the pool? Not that it happened or anything...but it could have...

LOL twice. Hazard of the biz. I ordered a set of the magnets just in case so I always have on hand.

So I see the UV etc., but how are you chlorinating? CYA of 80 is fine with an SWG. If your using liquid, you can run with it for awhile if you are diligent.

Lowering your CYA to 50 ppm would make life easier. Or you can manage what you have.

Get your pH into the 7's.

When testing FC, use a 10 ml sample. One scoop of powder and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

Reactions: PaigeMark
LOL twice. Hazard of the biz. I ordered a set of the magnets just in case so I always have on hand.

So I see the UV etc., but how are you chlorinating? CYA of 80 is fine with an SWG. If your using liquid, you can run with it for awhile if you are diligent.
Glad I’m not the only one!

I have a NSWG pool. It’s been on a steady diet of 3” chlorine pucks and whatever else the pool service has been throwing in there since day one. We purchased the house/pool two years ago and I’m just learning that I can manage the pool balance myself with Liquid Chlorine so I’ve gotten rid of all of the chlorine tabs/powder. I found 10% bleach today for $1.99/gal so I’m going to try that.

I’ll plan to lower the PH and test FC with a 10ml sample...may try to manage the 80 CYA for a little bit. If I can convince my husband that it will make a big difference, I’ll go that route.

Thx!

Reactions: frustratedpoolmom
Glad I’m not the only one!

I have a NSWG pool. It’s been on a steady diet of 3” chlorine pucks and whatever else the pool service has been throwing in there since day one. We purchased the house/pool two years ago and I’m just learning that I can manage the pool balance myself with Liquid Chlorine so I’ve gotten rid of all of the chlorine tabs/powder. I found 10% bleach today for $1.99/gal so I’m going to try that.

I’ll plan to lower the PH and test FC with a 10ml sample...may try to manage the 80 CYA for a little bit. If I can convince my husband that it will make a big difference, I’ll go that route.

Thx!
Its definitely doable but you have to be diligent and keep the FC above your "min" recommended level at all times ;) good luck!

*Anyone else manage to lose the little SpeedStir magnet in the pool? Not that it happened or anything...but it could have...

Happened earlier this week. Robot picked it up and I found it when I was cleaning the robot basket. But it was the 2nd run of the robot, I was thinking the magnetic bar was gone for good. Glad I had purchased extras.

Reactions: PaigeMark
Still not confident in my process but I decided to test this morning after adding Muriatic acid last night to bring PH down and, later, adding more Liquid Chlorine (per Pool Math suggested dose). PH is now 7.2, FC 9, CC .5, TA 100. I may do another CYA test just to make sure yesterday’s results were accurate. I’ve done nothing (not drained the pool) yet to change CYA...just want to make sure I’m performing the test correctly. Water is super clear...so much so that I can see that there are a couple of items near the drain that need to be fished out. After having the pleasure of deep diving for the SpeedStir magnet last night, I’ll leave that job for my husband.

56C4AABF-2748-48F7-96F4-A72C75623F74.jpeg34A63E70-53CF-49CF-9C55-DD4E21BC32FA.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you are on the right track. The only issue with a higher CYA is the higher required FC which means more bleach. Technically it’s straightforward, but as stated above, a lower CYA for a NSWCG pool is preferred and easier.

Have you re-tested the CYA?

Looks like you are on the right track. The only issue with a higher CYA is the higher required FC which means more bleach. Technically it’s straightforward, but as stated above, a lower CYA for a NSWCG pool is preferred and easier.

Have you re-tested the CYA?
Just retested CYA. This is the most confusing test for me to read but I think this test yields a 60ppm result. I hope that’s the correct number because that will be closer to my goal. And, it’ll mean a little less liquid chlorine. How often will this test need to be done? I’m going to need more CYA reagent.

Should I be concerned about the low CH number? Pool Math suggests adding just over 5lbs calcium chloride. I have a bottle in case I need to use it.

Your CH is fine as long as you keep your pH above 7.6.

Test your CYA every month during swim season. Or if you get a large exchange of pool water with fresh water.
When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

OK, I’ve got that. I’ll order more reagent and begin testing CYA every month. Will a big rainfall count as a large exchange? With the number of years of additives going into this pool, I’m crediting the crazy rain we’ve had this year for the fact that my CYA isn’t even higher. Thank you for your help with the CYA test procedure.

A foot or more of rain in short time would count. Anything less will have negligible effect.

After the flooding Tulsa has had...praying a foot or more in a short time doesn’t happen. I did research water costs in our area and it is extremely affordable so we may just drain off some water and replace. Might be our best bet. Thanks, again!

After the flooding Tulsa has had...praying a foot or more in a short time doesn’t happen. I did research water costs in our area and it is extremely affordable so we may just drain off some water and replace. Might be our best bet. Thanks, again!
I spoke too soon. Pouring cats and dogs and we just received a flood advisory. My CYA levels may just take care of themselves.?

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I still can’t believe the difference in my pool since last week. We got over 2.5” of rain last night in a two hour window and my test results this morning are still promising...plus, I don’t think my pool has ever been this clear - no sign of the cloudy mess it was last week. The attached photo is the main drain at 9’ deep.

FC 10ppm
CC .5ppm
PH 7.6
TA 90
CH 260
CYA 60? I’m calling it 70.

D0280292-28CA-478D-BF0C-DADD89150D52.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.