Test for Borates

AndrewFH

Jul 30, 2013
Does anyone know of a test for Borates other that test strips? Based on recommendation I saw here, it seemed the best choice was the Lamotte test strips, which is what I am using. However, I have a very difficult time distinguishing the difference between 30-50-80 ppm. I can see the difference on the compare strip on the side of the bottle, but my test strip never seems to match one of the colors exactly and I can't really tell whether I am at 30ppm, 80pppm or somewhere in between. I am not color blind, but the various shades of pink it is supposed to be are very difficult for me to see differences.

AndrewFH

Jul 30, 2013
Please disregard. I searched this earlier, but did not see a reference to anything but test strips, but searched again and saw a post that discussed some reagents that would work with other Taylor reagents to do a borate test.
I guess another question I have is whether I should worry too much about the exact level. I have a swim spa and drain and refill it a couple of times a year. At refill time, if I just add the correct amount of borates (I am using boric acid) based on the pool calculator to get it to 50ppm, is that sufficient? I don't lose very much water between drain/refills so don't think I lose much of the borate.

chiefwej

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 12, 2011
Tucson
I also have a difficult time differentiating between the colors. Since the level of borates isn't critical, I just use the Pool Calculator to determine the correct amount to bring the level at/or near 50 ppm. If its 40 or 60, it really wouldn't make much difference.