FC 9.5
cC .5-1
PH 7.4
TA 110
CH 180
CYA 70-80
SALT 3600

when should we turn the SWG back on?
anyone ever use chem- out to reduce chlorine?

Pool is clear and vlie

Your FC is in range for your CYA, so there’s no reason to attempt to reduce chlorine. Next time, adjust pH with Muriatic Acid which will lower TA and reduce drift. Otherwise - you look ok, but CH is an issue if you have a plaster pool.

Don't know what equipment you have, since your signature isn't filled out. If your SWCG is Pentair, you should know Pentair advises not using dry acid, due to the other ingredients in the product. If your equipment is not Pentair, check your manual.

Sun,

With a CYA of 80 you should be trying to keep your FC at 6 ppm or higher.. 4 may be the minimum, but you should not be trying to keep your FC between 4 and 6, you should be trying to stay at your target of 6 or higher all the time.. Think of the minimum as a cliff you never want to fall off..

The idea that 9.5 is something to worry about is just flat out wrong.. With CYA of 80 you are safe to swim until your FC goes over 31 ppm...

If you try to micromanage your SWCG, so that you stay between 4 and 6, it will drive you crazy.. Let the SWCG do its job and it will make your pool care stress free.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sun,

With a CYA of 80 you should be trying to keep your FC at 6 ppm or higher.. 4 may be the minimum, but you should not be trying to keep your FC between 4 and 6, you should be trying to stay at your target of 6 or higher all the time.. Think of the minimum as a cliff you never want to fall off..

The idea that 9.5 is something to worry about is just flat out wrong.. With CYA of 80 you are safe to swim until your FC goes over 31 ppm...

If you try to micromanage your SWCG, so that you stay between 4 and 6, it will drive you crazy.. Let the SWCG do its job and it will make your pool care stress free.

Thanks,

Jim R.
How do you know what % to set the cell to? This is our first summer with the pool, just switched to try to care for it on our own.

test #3
FC 7
Cc .5
PH 7.4
CYA 60
TA 110

we need to turn the cell back on - it was at 40% 24 hours a day. But that was giving us FC 10-11 (everyone said was too high and one company even said to drain it with CyA of 80)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sun,

SWCG's are dumb as rocks, they have no brain. They have no clue what your FC is.. They just do what you tell them..

You are the cell's brain.. You measure the FC and if it to too high you adjust the % down or the run down shorter.. If the FC is too low, you adjust the % up or the run time longer..

Once you get a feel for this it is not much of an issue.. I only worry about if my FC is too low.. You should be looking at the "trend" not each test.. If the trend shows your FC going up, then turn it down.. If the trend show your FC going down, then turn it up.

It will take a couple of weeks and you will know exactly what to do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My swg is dialed in right at 53%. Every pool is different. If it's making too much, lower it by 10% and see how it does. I turn mine off if it gets to around 15 but that is rare anymore. You'll get it dialed in eventually.

Do you plan on continuing a 24 hour run time? Or would you like to run the pump less?

what was the FC prior to the FC going up? You stated it was running at 40% but was too high-how quickly did it drift up? (Example if it drifted up 1ppm per day-you know you can set it to create 1ppm less)
I have a similar size pool and run between 30-35% for 13 hours a day this time of year. (Roughly 1.7ppm FC per day)

40% for 24 hours with your cell and pool size generates 2.8ppm of FC per day.

if you know your daily chlorine demand you can use the “effects of adding” feature on the pool math app to tweak your settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oly
Do you plan on continuing a 24 hour run time? Or would you like to run the pump less?

what was the FC prior to the FC going up? You stated it was running at 40% but was too high-how quickly did it drift up? (Example if it drifted up 1ppm per day-you know you can set it to create 1ppm less)
I have a similar size pool and run between 30-35% for 13 hours a day this time of year. (Roughly 1.7ppm FC per day)

if you know your daily chlorine demand you can use the “effects of adding” feature on the pool math app to tweak your settings.
I don’t think we have an option to run it for less than 24 hours. It doesn’t have a timer.
The FC has been around 10-11 almost all summer (new cell was put in at the beginning of June).

The pool is at our cabin so we are not here every day. We tried a pool company in May and beginning of June. Trying to figure it out on our own now.

Thank you! I didn’t know there was a salt cell % calculator in the app. So we are going to try 30%. Today with the sun and swimming we lost about 2.5 ppm chlorine in a little over 24 hours.

what level do you keep your cya at? We have been around 70-80 but today I got 60

I don’t think we have an option to run it for less than 24 hours. It doesn’t have a timer.
The FC has been around 10-11 almost all summer (new cell was put in at the beginning of June).

The pool is at our cabin so we are not here every day. We tried a pool company in May and beginning of June. Trying to figure it out on our own now.

gotcha! If there is no timer or automation then 24 hours is it!

looks like if it has been at 10-11 all summer, then it is set to the right setting. A swg will maintain FC if it’s set correctly, it’ll increase FC if set too high, and you will loose FC if it’s set too low.

Now that you’ve had it off for a few days and FC has drifted to 6-7 ppm-perhaps try turning it back on at 40% again. As long as it doesn’t drift upward, you’re all set!

Just remember as the pool water temp drops and the days start getting shorter going into fall, you will need to ramp down the %.

edited to add: if you lost 2.5 in a day that suggests you should set it to create 2.5 a day. That would be closer to 35%-but definately look into the app calculator to help get you dialed in!

I like my CYA on the high end so that I can run my swg less (we have problems with quick pH drift). I keep it around 80.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.