Terrible looking pebble finish with leafs, broken plastic and holes in finished job.

Bluenose14

Jun 1, 2023
Orlando
I recently had my pool resurfaced. There is a long list of problems. There are multiple twigs leaves and a piece of plastic protruding to through the material. There are multiple crazy lines (which I understand can be norm) but also holes and cracks you can stick a penny or pencil in. The bond coat I could rub right off down to the concrete . They did redo some patches of the bond coat but it too contained debris.

The installer said this is normal looking install. That the cracks you see in the picture would go away when the pool is filled with water the the concrete hydrates.

I need some help in terms of knowing things like how much debris in the mix is acceptable. Why is the bond coat two different colors? It is the same material but looks like two.

IMG_2700.jpegIMG_3021.jpegIMG_2796.jpegIMG_3098.jpegIMG_2804.jpegIMG_2738.jpegIMG_2770.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 6
Very very sloppy work.

Zero debris in the mix is acceptable.

I hope your plasterer has a different crew who can do better.

Reactions: Dirk
This is not acceptable in any way, shape, or form. I am hoping you have not paid your final payment yet. Document in writing everything and send him a demand letter about having it all chipped out and redone.

Reactions: Dirk
And by chipped out, she means the entire plater/pebble surface.
No partial chip out and redoing it over the poorly installed first attempt.

Hopefully they will use more care the second time.
You want the 'A' crew this time, not the 'D' crew.

Reactions: Dirk and kimkats
Just another round of ammo for ya. Actually, several rounds you can point out. Extremely poor work, and the lamest of excuses. Both unacceptable. I've been waiting for eight years for the cracks in my concrete deck to magically heal themselves when it rains and rehydrates the concrete! Yah, that's not a thing.

Keep in mind that the underlying gunite is not water proof. Only the plaster finish makes a pool watertight. Cracks in the waterproofing layer mean a leaky pool. Filling it (if you haven't already) just means more wasted money.

Also, while you cannot expect a perfectly even distribution of pebbles, especially on the rounded edges, the distribution is pretty bad.

Worst still, is the pebble reveal. The pebbles are supposed to be just peeking out from the plaster. They should be close enough to each other where you see way more pebble than plaster, but most of the pebble is still embedded in the plaster. Some areas of your plaster don't have enough pebbles, and many areas have the pebbles just barely hanging on, almost completely out of the plaster. Almost as if they applied the plaster and then threw pebbles at it to see what would stick! Did they acid wash the day after the install? It looks like the acid application was way too aggressive and ate away too much plaster. Many of those pebbles are going to fall right out in short order, not to mention it will be extremely uncomfortable to your skin.

If the pictures represent just a few bad areas, I honestly don't know if they could be reliably repaired. If what you're showing us is representative of a lot of or most of the pool, then that cannot be repaired, it needs to be redone.

And I'll say again what others have pointed out, demand a full chip out and complete redo.

Sorry for your bad luck. Stick to your guns and make them make it right.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.