Tension Control Clamp Bolt Stripped!

Apr 29, 2016
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
In tightening my tension control clamp after cleaning my filter, the bolt stripped and now it is no good. Question is do I need to replace the whole clamp to the tune of $140 or can I somehow replace just the bolt and nut? Thanks

Bolt for sure. Possibly nut also
77a05e907cb0dc9f2af6cd02ade5d6a4.jpg

You need a good tap & die set. If you can expose those stripped threads enough to run a die over the length of the bolt, you may be able to revive it long enough for another use. It's somewhat odd that the threaded rod stripped like that as it is steel and the clamp nut is made out of brass. That's done purposely so that, if anything gets stripped, it's the cheaper nut that's replaced and not the entire saddle clamp. Was the nut replaced recently with the wrong material?

Yeah, that threaded rod is pretty much hosed...using a die to cleanup the threads is simply a last-ditch effort. You may want to order that saddle clamp and then hope the die buys you a little more time. But definitely make sure you are only using the proper brass clamp nut and NOT a standard steel nut. Also, when installing the saddle clamp and tightening the nut, I usually give it one turn of the nut with my ratchet and then I bang on the saddle clamp with a rubber mallet all around the waist of the filter to help the clamp grip the filter body. Then I tighten some more and bang some more. If you simply just try to tighten down on the nut without banging the clamp, the resistance will build up and you'll likely exceed the shear strength of the threaded rod. I also use liberal amounts of moly-disulfide grease on the nut and you only need to tighten it until the tension spring is fully compressed, no further.

I am using the brass nut that came with it. On Amazon, I'm seeing replacement bolts, but how the heck would I go about actually installing a replacement bolt? Anyone ever done this?
e7704d7bd0f2b06b3c753b399bb96cfd.jpg
7aa55f750ef3844abad0a66d99832f58.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a tradesman I can see this reasoning since it’s not your pool. As a pool owner, it’s not unreasonable.

I’m not being contentious, but it is equally unreasonable for a homeowner to make a field modification & relinquish manufactures product liability.

I wouldn’t expose my family, friends or guests to the risk.

The below is an old link & more tank separations incidents are reported.

The bomb in your backyard

This brings up an interesting question. When should the clamp be replaced. I will be summerizing my pool next week and check the clamp on my CCP420. I bought it 9 years ago. I would rather spend the $140 and sleep better. But, I've read reviews of the newer ones stripping. So if there is no visible damage, at what point do you change?

Just to keep everyone in the loop, upon further inspection, the brass nut is entirely scrapped as everyone here already suspected but the bolt threads are only damaged in about a centimeter of length quite far down the bolt. I determined this by taking a 5/16 fine thread nut and it screwed on fine on most of the bolt. So, I've ordered a new brass nut, a 5/16 24 die, and cutting oil to see if I can fix the old clamp bolt (Amazon $30). In addition, I ordered a brand new clamp (Amazon $140) just in case I can't fix the bolt with the die. I'll keep in touch.

That’s really great to know. I’m sure this situation will come up for others and it’s a good DIY fix to have documented. Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.